FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: something to consider  (Read 1655 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
something to consider
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Here is my question:

Can an insect that feeds on human blood (tick, mosquito and flea) transmit the COVID19 virus from an infected victim?

I know that these suckers can transmit their own list of nasty diseases, but could the Corona virus be added to that list?

Just something that popped into my head a week back when I was out fishing and noticed how nice it was without any biting insects...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: something to consider
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I'm no viorlogist, bit I'd imagine that viruses are transmitted in a different way than blood born pathogens.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 05:36 PM »
I posed that question to Mayo Clinic last week....they said there's no evidence that could happen, it appears to only be human-to-human.
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17 PM »
and cats

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:14 PM »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 07:12 AM »
What if the mosquito sneezes?  :wacko:

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 11:12 AM »
I posed that question to Mayo Clinic last week....they said there's no evidence that could happen, it appears to only be human-to-human.

If that were true, how did it originate?

Seeing that most of the flu strains in recent years were derived/transmitted from animals (bird and swine flu are 2 prominent ones) it seems feasible that the possibility of bug bite transmission could happen. If bug bites can transmit other diseases, why not COVID19?

I'd hate to think that the greatest medical/scientific minds haven't considered this possibility?
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Ya got me. I ain't Mayo.....but that's why I asked them. That's also what the CDC says, as posted by taxid. I don't think they really have a clue, anyway.  :wacko:

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:06 AM »
I've been doing some reading on this, and here's a snippet from some articles I found...

"Mosquitoes do not carry coronavirus," said Dr. Ned Walker, a professor of microbiology and entomology at Michigan State University. "The coronavirus just doesn't infect mosquitoes at all. It doesn't have the capacity to make the infection in the mosquito, and so for that reason if it can't participate in that kind of a transmission cycle."

That's consistent with other related viruses.

"SARS and MERS which are also coronaviruses are not carried by mosquitoes either," explained Walker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.