FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alligator Gar  (Read 14132 times)

burghangler

Re: Alligator Gar
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 08:42 AM »
I cught a 5' gar in Brackish water in southern Louisianna a month ago, I didn't know they could survive there...

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Dose anyone have any history on this type of fish??? It looks to me like a crossbreed between an aligator and a northern pike!!!
People who work don't know how to fish!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 07:44 PM »
Gar can live in brackish water.
Gar aren't related to pike, although they do look somewhat similar.
Here's a link... Gar Information

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:32 PM »

Gar are a pre-historic carryover. They are the only species in the family Lepisosteidae, and there are 7 different kinds(species) in N. America. Pike are in the Esocidae family with muskie's and pickeral, the only hybrid are tiger muskie, a cross between muskie's and northerns and they are sterile like all hybrids.

wannagofishin

• fish on!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jun 08, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Gar can live in brackish water.
Gar aren't related to pike, although they do look somewhat similar.
Here's a link... Gar Information

that one shown in the link is huge
a bad day of fishin is better than a good day at school

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #35 on: Jun 19, 2005, 11:02 AM »
the only hybrid are tiger muskie, a cross between muskie's and northerns and they are sterile like all hybrids.

In doing some reading on tigers they are able to reproduce but only under absolute ideal conditions. There is a lake in Minnesota I believe that hadn't been stocked with them in many years that guys were starting to catch small tigers so the state did some tests and found the tigers were reproducing. Wish I could remember the site.

Now back to the alligator gars, Field & Stream has an article on them in their latest issue. These fish get blamed for destroying gamefish populations when they only eat the lesser wanted fish. I hate how ignorance seems to be what kills off so many great fisheries.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #36 on: Jun 20, 2005, 02:15 PM »

Interesting stuff Mike, haven't heard of that with the tigers.

It's all about good info and educating the puplic and ourselves. Gar are a really cool fish that have been around forever, too bad there unappreciated or little known to alot of people..Besides good anglers that is..

AirManCam

« Reply #37 on: Jun 20, 2005, 04:45 PM »
I know about the hybrids, but I dont understand why they still can't breed ???
Iceshanty=AirManCam
MyhuntingForum=BigBuckTaker16

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #38 on: Jul 03, 2005, 10:18 AM »

It has to do with genetics, the two species have a different genetic pattern and at the point where chromosomes are splitting during cellular development, the reproductive portions of the chromosomes(x,y) can't combine correctly to allow for normal reproduction in the adults produced by the genetic combination. That is a mouthful, but it's the easiest way to explain what happens. When cells split, inside the nucleus of the cells are the genetic patterns(that are unique to every different species, including humans),inside the chromosomes. When they don't split and recombine correctly, development is effected. In fish and other animals reproduction is typically effected(the x and y chromosomes). In humans, a common chromosome deficientcy is the cause for cerebral palsy, where one chromosome is actually missing.

Zorros shack

• This account is closed.
« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Hmmm that does not look like a gar?

stevob83

« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:37 PM »
that things nasty!!!just cut the line!!!!

Shuba

• JUST FISH
« Reply #41 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to catch a couple long nose gar they were long and lanky great fighters.
tail dancers like a bass. They fought with the never say die attitude it was great. My feelling is they (Gar all
species)have been around for a very long time and without them and other preditor fish,it would greatly
mess up the eco-system.NO needless KILLING of these beautyfull fish . Catch and release (of course photo
if possible)
 Could not imagine one of those alligator gar, would make my day to catch one those important pieces
of our marine eco-system.

Fish Hard
     Shuba

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.