FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418824 times)

northwoods

• FRIEND OF ALL FISH !!!LIKED BY NONE!!!
Re: SALMON RIVER SPRING 09 STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:09 PM »
go get um they are there!!!!
HEY, WHERE IS MY FLOAT ???
     GET UM!!! GET UM!!! GET UM!!!

northwoods

• FRIEND OF ALL FISH !!!LIKED BY NONE!!!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:13 PM »
fished the river sat. did'nt land any only had 2 bites one on a plug and one on the bead not a lot of room in top end and the water below pineville was cranking made a fast ride down but the water should be drawing the fish in. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!
HEY, WHERE IS MY FLOAT ???
     GET UM!!! GET UM!!! GET UM!!!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #47 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I'VE GOT A QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU STEELHEADERS OUT THERE! What is your favorite flourocarbon leader brand and what is your favorite main line brand? Mine is drennen leader and maxima ultra green main line! WHAT IS YOURS! Had good luck with P-line flouroice (flouro-coated) for leader ice fishing!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #48 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I went steelheading for the first time ever on Saturday. the River was running fast and high!

Got my first steelhead ever. Thanks to the two locals who helped me learn the fine art of steelhead fishing!

SNAGGER

« Reply #49 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:41 AM »
NICE FISH! Looks like your fishing the diversion across from ballpark in the pulaski! GOOD JOB, there's really big water down there!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

The Mayor

Re: SALMON RIVER SPRING STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #50 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:56 PM »
River update: Over the weekend the guys did pretty good on jigs under floats between schoolhouse and the next long hole below the 2nd wires. Starting to pick a few up on pink sacs in the runs. A couple nice browns were landed over the weekend too! River still ok after all that monster rain we got, Orwell and trout brook are wide open and flowing good. No ice left, but not flooding either(snowpack absorbed alot of the rain)!

Snagger ,    Thanks for all the great tips, pink you say, I can remember when purple was the color of choice. My friend Jimmy for years had me tying purple flies by the hundreds. Over the years I've used pink with some success but on your advice or should I say recommendation I'm going to sit down & tie a couple hundred pinks to make sure I have enough. Oh , I just remembered my friend Lil Dave has used pink egg mesh flies for yrs with great success. He also caught lots of Browns near the town pool using them this past season. I'm also going to tie some RICOFEALIA  CADDIS in pink, plus some Pink jigs to fish under a float on my brand new float rod. Hope to see at the Schoolhouse & Toms Run.      YOURS TRUELY,   THE MAYOR

fishman

« Reply #51 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:57 PM »
i posted this in another topic (http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=24766.0) before i saw this one but now my question is refined. any starting locations for a first time spinning gear steelhead fisherman and a nearly first time fisherman on the salmon river?  it doesn't need to be your secret spot but some place that is relatively easy to get to and has a decent chance of catching some fish.
thanks
fishman
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

Bartman44

« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I went steelheading for the first time ever on Saturday. the River was running fast and high!

Got my first steelhead ever. Thanks to the two locals who helped me learn the fine art of steelhead fishing!

Congrats Roy. Got a fish on your first trip, can't beat that. Good fighters, aint they?

Bart

SNAGGER

« Reply #53 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:50 PM »
i posted this in another topic (http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=24766.0) before i saw this one but now my question is refined. any starting locations for a first time spinning gear steelhead fisherman and a nearly first time fisherman on the salmon river?  it doesn't need to be your secret spot but some place that is relatively easy to get to and has a decent chance of catching some fish.
thanks
fishman
This is the Salmon River, There's no secret spots, Just area's that get fished less than others! During early salmon runs there can be isolated hot spots from time to time, but this time of year there's two ways to fish the river. Either up at the top of the river in the altmar area Or the bottom of the river in Pulaski! Right now the river is high, so it would be easier for some one new to fish in Altmar, because the river has a little less water and it is wider. Park at the bridge and walk down stream about 1/6 of a mile to the schoolhouse hole area. There should be some fisherman willing to help a new guy out! 3 inch pink berkley power trout worms, Egg sac's or half a night crawler under a bobber and 4lb line Should get you into a couple! HOPE THIS HELPS! The great fishing is yet to come! Water still very cold!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:28 AM »
Hey MAYOR when you coming back up here. The first batch of snowmelt has gone thru the system, until the next batch, have a short window when the strong march sun will heat up the slate on North Sandy. Should be steelie paradise up there in all the runs below Woodville brige next couple of days. I'll be on Oneida, but in the old days I'd be up there wacking some monsters on pink and white sacks before it gets off color again! South Sandy probably been too cold to get many fish above Firehouse, but farmers field area looks good, til tug hill releases some more melt!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

The Mayor

« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Snagger ,    Thanks for all the great tips, pink you say, I can remember when purple was the color of choice. My friend Jimmy for years had me tying purple flies by the hundreds. Over the years I've used pink with some success but on your advice or should I say recommendation I'm going to sit down & tie a couple hundred pinks to make sure I have enough. Oh , I just remembered my friend Lil Dave has used pink egg mesh flies for yrs with great success. He also caught lots of Browns near the town pool using them this past season. I'm also going to tie some RICOFEALIA  CADDIS in pink, plus some Pink jigs to fish under a float on my brand new float rod. Hope to see at the Schoolhouse & Toms Run.      YOURS TRUELY,   THE MAYOR
Snagger,     So where are your ice fishing hot spots on oneida lake ?  Especially the giant perch locations. Save me a few perch for dinner , I have a good recipe for you.   THE  MAYOR   P.S.-  HOW DID YOU DO YESTERDAY ?

fishman

« Reply #56 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:09 PM »
This is the Salmon River, There's no secret spots, Just area's that get fished less than others! During early salmon runs there can be isolated hot spots from time to time, but this time of year there's two ways to fish the river. Either up at the top of the river in the altmar area Or the bottom of the river in Pulaski! Right now the river is high, so it would be easier for some one new to fish in Altmar, because the river has a little less water and it is wider. Park at the bridge and walk down stream about 1/6 of a mile to the schoolhouse hole area. There should be some fisherman willing to help a new guy out! 3 inch pink berkley power trout worms, Egg sac's or half a night crawler under a bobber and 4lb line Should get you into a couple! HOPE THIS HELPS! The great fishing is yet to come! Water still very cold!

the bridge on Bridge Street/CT RT 52 (which forks into 52 and Tar Hill Rd)?
thanks,
oh, and is it actually walking on the side of river or do you mean wading (if so, how deep), don't mater much except only one pair full (stomach/chest height) waders and one pair of hip-waders for me and my dad

oh, and another thing.  i heard that some people put canoes in in the lower reservoir but didn't know if it is actually allowed, i think they talked about putting in at the NE end inbetween the stream inlet and dam/powerhouse thing inlet (looked at google maps for location description). said they not only could fish for trout but also fish for crappie. don't know if this is actually true though
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

The Mayor

« Reply #57 on: Mar 17, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Hey MAYOR when you coming back up here. The first batch of snowmelt has gone thru the system, until the next batch, have a short window when the strong march sun will heat up the slate on North Sandy. Should be steelie paradise up there in all the runs below Woodville brige next couple of days. I'll be on Oneida, but in the old days I'd be up there wacking some monsters on pink and white sacks before it gets off color again! South Sandy probably been too cold to get many fish above Firehouse, but farmers field area looks good, til tug hill releases some more melt!

Snagger,  What was the total snow accumulation this winter...The Mayor

SNAGGER

« Reply #58 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:13 PM »
the bridge on Bridge Street/CT RT 52 (which forks into 52 and Tar Hill Rd)?
thanks,
oh, and is it actually walking on the side of river or do you mean wading (if so, how deep), don't mater much except only one pair full (stomach/chest height) waders and one pair of hip-waders for me and my dad

oh, and another thing.  i heard that some people put canoes in in the lower reservoir but didn't know if it is actually allowed, i think they talked about putting in at the NE end inbetween the stream inlet and dam/powerhouse thing inlet (looked at google maps for location description). said they not only could fish for trout but also fish for crappie. don't know if this is actually true though
Ct Rt 52(bridge street) cross the bridge, parking on the left or you can park at tar hill junction and walk across field. I've fished the schoolhouse without any boots at all before, but hippers would be fine in that hole, anywhere else going to need waders! The lower res. has rainbows,rock bass,bullhead, and stunted perch/gills/largies. If there's good crappie fishing, there not talking. I've caught a few, nothing major!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #59 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Snagger,     So where are your ice fishing hot spots on oneida lake ?  Especially the giant perch locations. Save me a few perch for dinner , I have a good recipe for you.   THE  MAYOR   P.S.-  HOW DID YOU DO YESTERDAY ?
Where's Oneida lake? SSSSSSHHHHHHH!! At last count redfield was up to about 360 inches, about same as last year! Lots of melt left for South Sandy! Just starting to see the ground around altmar last couple of days!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.