FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418892 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #705 on: Jul 21, 2009, 07:58 PM »

Nope, I would just leave and find another spot or stay and every time my line drifted under yours I'd set the hook and break the cable your fishing with... after an hour of you getting broke off... you would need to go get more salmon river may flies.  I'm sorry but all you snagging guys make me want to puke, even more than the L L BEAN poster boy.... fly dorks.
  I'm sure glad they no longer use lead paint

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! YOUR SAYING IF  SNAGGING WAS LEGAL YOU WOULD  BE  CUTTING LINES  ???? AND YA I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT VERY WELL WITH A 10 FOOT LOOMIS  TOO :) (DRIFT LOW  WAIT TILL CROSSED  THERE LINE GETS  TIGHT  ...SET HOOK  ...SLICE AND DICE COMPLETE)....ISN'T THAT HARRASSMENT DURING A LEGAL ACTIVITY???? GUESS THOSE  SNAGGERS JUST MIGHT BE  THE REAL SPORTSMEN AFTER ALL!!!!!!

NO ONE SAID  YOU WOULD LOSE  STEELHEAD FISHING  ONLY A  SNAGGING SEASON  , TRUTH IS  THE FLYRODDERS AND  STEELHEAD FISHERMAN  JUST  CAN'T  BRING THE  ECONMIC ADJANTAGES   THAT THE SALMON CROWD BRINGS.

BESIDES  THERES  ROOM FOR  EVERYONE  NOT TO MENTION THIS  WOULD BE  ECONMIC BOOST  FOR A AREA THATS  BEEN HIT HARD.

I HONESTLY  THINK THAT IF A PETITION WAS STARTED  AND ENOUGH  PEOPLE  IN THE AREA SIGNED  THE STATE WOULD  LISTEN

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Anchorman

« Reply #706 on: Jul 21, 2009, 08:49 PM »

Nope, I would just leave and find another spot or stay and every time my line drifted under yours I'd set the hook and break the cable your fishing with... after an hour of you getting broke off... you would need to go get more salmon river may flies.  I'm sorry but all you snagging guys make me want to puke, even more than the L L BEAN poster boy.... fly dorks.
I love guys like you. Thats why I fish with 65lb braid. you'll either break your line, or i'll cut your rig off when i'm done reeling it in across the river. I meet a few guys like you every year..LOL!!!!!
The beauty of it is, I still hook up with fish the legal way running 20lb flourocarbon, and braid. Can't wait for the day I can jerk a rod out of someones hand..HE!HE!HE!
Anchorman

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #707 on: Jul 21, 2009, 09:02 PM »
WAIT A MINUTE!!!! YOUR SAYING IF  SNAGGING WAS LEGAL YOU WOULD  BE  CUTTING LINES  ???? AND YA I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT VERY WELL WITH A 10 FOOT LOOMIS  TOO :) (DRIFT LOW  WAIT TILL CROSSED  THERE LINE GETS  TIGHT  ...SET HOOK  ...SLICE AND DICE COMPLETE)....ISN'T THAT HARRASSMENT DURING A LEGAL ACTIVITY???? GUESS THOSE  SNAGGERS JUST MIGHT BE  THE REAL SPORTSMEN AFTER ALL!!!!!!

NO ONE SAID  YOU WOULD LOSE  STEELHEAD FISHING  ONLY A  SNAGGING SEASON  , TRUTH IS  THE FLYRODDERS AND  STEELHEAD FISHERMAN  JUST  CAN'T  BRING THE  ECONMIC ADJANTAGES   THAT THE SALMON CROWD BRINGS.

BESIDES  THERES  ROOM FOR  EVERYONE  NOT TO MENTION THIS  WOULD BE  ECONMIC BOOST  FOR A AREA THATS  BEEN HIT HARD.

I HONESTLY  THINK THAT IF A PETITION WAS STARTED  AND ENOUGH  PEOPLE  IN THE AREA SIGNED  THE STATE WOULD  LISTEN

Very well said, TRAP.
......And I might add, that it would be nice to see it go back,  and you could legally lift, or snag during the salmon run in the river. I used to lift in the Oswego river for a number of years till they made the laws the way they ended up. It just wasn't worth it anymore, especially since I fished the lake anyway.
But, I shure do miss it. It was alot of fun....It was a whole diff. animal.

Can't wait for the day I can jerk a rod out of someones hand..HE!HE!HE!
Anchorman
I agree with you entirely, Anchorman.
I've been there and actually done it,....for real! :laugh:.....to some other ignorant inbisole who purposely tried to do that very samething, to me, and others, that I was wading around in the river with!,.....that Esox V mentioned about.
He wasn't too thrilled to watch his rod n reel go bye bye!...flying into the channel at Oswego river, after I ripped it out of his sweaty palms with one nice yank with my mighty Penn reel, and 12 foot 'meat stick' rod!
Needless to say, that TOUGH GUY! :-* couldn't back up his lips! :-*.....the rest is history. ;D
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #708 on: Jul 21, 2009, 09:02 PM »

Ya really man thats not too sportsman like to cut other peoples lines just because you dont agree with what they are doin.....if and only if snagging was made legal i think you could definitely get in trouble for harassment by doing that.....what if you did that to someone standing next to you and it was an undercover DEC officer.....i dont think he would take too kindly to that

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #709 on: Jul 21, 2009, 11:03 PM »
 I was out fishing today, and that was alot of reading I just had to do. Well done, it was very enjoyable, almost felt like I was standing shoulder to shoulder argueing with you guys in 1992 on the Salmon River! I loved the Arguements back then, miss all the hooting and hollering of the old days when some ones wife or kids had a fish on or landed there first!! No one says FISH ON anymore hardly( don't want to draw attention to ones self), the Rivers are Eriely Quiet now compared to the old days! No one can take my Memories away from me, although I don't remember alot of the 90's!     FISH ON! FISH COMING DOWN! FISH COMING UP! OH FISH OFF!  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #710 on: Jul 22, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I miss my 9' leader.
I miss my 12 footer!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

« Reply #711 on: Jul 22, 2009, 05:57 AM »
heres a question  if i can only have a  4 footleader as  written in the book! then  how can anyone  fish a 9 foot leader in the  flyfishing section???? or with any flyrod  for that matter?????

trapper2000

« Reply #712 on: Jul 22, 2009, 06:00 AM »
special rules were written to target anyone  outside of  drift boats  pulling plugs and flyfisherman  SPECIAL INTEREST they messed up writting the  4  ft rule  if you read it  exactly the way written  then  every flyfisherman in that river is breaking the law and not one ticket has been handed out!

time to  work at getting our river back

Anchorman

« Reply #713 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:34 AM »
Very well said, TRAP.
......And I might add, that it would be nice to see it go back,  and you could legally lift, or snag during the salmon run in the river. I used to lift in the Oswego river for a number of years till they made the laws the way they ended up. It just wasn't worth it anymore, especially since I fished the lake anyway.
But, I shure do miss it. It was alot of fun....It was a whole diff. animal.

I agree with you entirely, Anchorman.
I've been there and actually done it,....for real! :laugh:.....to some other ignorant inbisole who purposely tried to do that very samething, to me, and others, that I was wading around in the river with!,.....that Esox V mentioned about.
He wasn't too thrilled to watch his rod n reel go bye bye!...flying into the channel at Oswego river, after I ripped it out of his sweaty palms with one nice yank with my mighty Penn reel, and 12 foot 'meat stick' rod!
Needless to say, that TOUGH GUY! :-* couldn't back up his lips! :-*.....the rest is history. ;D
Oh, thats beautiful. Wish I coulda seen it.... ;D
Sounds like the set-up I have. I bring the heavy gear for the idiots, not the fish. Lord knows you can't really get the full potential out of 65LB braid on a fish, when the hook gap can't exceed 1/2". I think most kings jawbones are thicker. However, it's plenty for everything else on the river ;)
Anchorman

trapper2000

« Reply #714 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:52 AM »
my idea of  the perfect  salmon river fishery  first we  make  power company release water from bottom of  res.  this will cause  river temps to drop allowing a health population of  browns and rainbows :)  aug 15  starts the snagging season   for  46 days  people will be allowed to take  kings   with  snag hooks  nov 1  we can start fishing steelhead   threw the winter months  by early april trout once again will be on our minds as we wait  for the mayflies to hatch omg a year round fishery!!!!!!........... oh darn we had that in the early 70's ......why were we stupid enough to let it go and why is it the anti snaggers only cause is to save a dieing fish and let the river go to waste!!!!!!!!!!!

fisherman my age  that lived here remeber  and know what i'm talking about! 40 to 50  fish days  on dry flies!

trapper2000

« Reply #715 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:55 AM »
ANDDDDDDDDDDD........ WITH A FISHERY LIKE THAT THE DRIFT BOATS WOULD BE RUNNING ALL SUMMER!!!! LOOK AT THE  BEAVERKILL AND  DELAWARE!!!!

NOTHING PERSONAL BUT I THINK  SOME PEOPLE ARE EITHER  BLIND, STUBBORN OR DOWN RIGHT STUPID

Anchorman

« Reply #716 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:57 AM »
my idea of  the perfect  salmon river fishery  first we  make  power company release water from bottom of  res.  this will cause  river temps to drop allowing a health population of  browns and rainbows :)  aug 15  starts the snagging season   for  46 days  people will be allowed to take  kings   with  snag hooks  nov 1  we can start fishing steelhead   threw the winter months  by early april trout once again will be on our minds as we wait  for the mayflies to hatch omg a year round fishery!!!!!!........... oh darn we had that in the early 70's ......why were we stupid enough to let it go and why is it the anti snaggers only cause is to save a dieing fish and let the river go to waste!!!!!!!!!!!

fisherman my age  that lived here remeber  and know what i'm talking about! 40 to 50  fish days  on dry flies!
Well, lets all start snagging, what are they gonna do? Arrest us all??LOL!!!! 200 guys with spinning gear in the UFZ.
Strength in numbers!!!!!

esox v

« Reply #717 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:32 AM »
WAIT A MINUTE!!!! YOUR SAYING IF  SNAGGING WAS LEGAL YOU WOULD  BE  CUTTING LINES  ???? AND YA I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT VERY WELL WITH A 10 FOOT LOOMIS  TOO :) (DRIFT LOW  WAIT TILL CROSSED  THERE LINE GETS  TIGHT  ...SET HOOK  ...SLICE AND DICE COMPLETE)....ISN'T THAT HARRASSMENT DURING A LEGAL ACTIVITY???? GUESS THOSE  SNAGGERS JUST MIGHT BE  THE REAL SPORTSMEN AFTER ALL!!!!!!

NO ONE SAID  YOU WOULD LOSE  STEELHEAD FISHING  ONLY A  SNAGGING SEASON  , TRUTH IS  THE FLYRODDERS AND  STEELHEAD FISHERMAN  JUST  CAN'T  BRING THE  ECONMIC ADJANTAGES   THAT THE SALMON CROWD BRINGS.

BESIDES  THERES  ROOM FOR  EVERYONE  NOT TO MENTION THIS  WOULD BE  ECONMIC BOOST  FOR A AREA THATS  BEEN HIT HARD.

I HONESTLY  THINK THAT IF A PETITION WAS STARTED  AND ENOUGH  PEOPLE  IN THE AREA SIGNED  THE STATE WOULD  LISTEN

Most of the time I would just leave . Actually the area I used to fish a lot.... most off the people fishing there were great which was the reason we all fished there.
      I'm fine with a snagging if its in a designated area. I realize that the handy capable people should be able to catch a salmon too. I mean I've seen people who couldn't snag a salmon with treble hook in small creeks.... where you could see the fish !!! I'm good with it. This is how the sign should read......  This area is designated for anglers who ate way to many lead paint chips when they were kids. This argument is a waste of time... here I was thinking I would pull out the 11 foot loomis 2#. after all these years this place still rubs me the wrong way.              
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #718 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:43 AM »
I love guys like you. Thats why I fish with 65lb braid. you'll either break your line, or i'll cut your rig off when i'm done reeling it in across the river. I meet a few guys like you every year..LOL!!!!!
The beauty of it is, I still hook up with fish the legal way running 20lb flourocarbon, and braid. Can't wait for the day I can jerk a rod out of someones hand..HE!HE!HE!
Anchorman
65# Braid!!! Let me guess ... when you hook em you just put the rod over your shoulder and walk up the bank. That sounds like soooooo much fun . I love the guys that fish with line so heavy that they can even break it themselves.  When they snag they cut there line and it trails downstream and everyone catches on it for the rest of the season. They need to cater to more people like them up there.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Anchorman

« Reply #719 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:56 AM »
65# Braid!!! Let me guess ... when you hook em you just put the rod over your shoulder and walk up the bank. That sounds like soooooo much fun . I love the guys that fish with line so heavy that they can even break it themselves.  When they snag they cut there line and it trails downstream and everyone catches on it for the rest of the season. They need to cater to more people like them up there.
No reason for me to cut the line, if I get snagged on bottom, or fish is foul-hooked vs fair play,I crank the drag down and straighten the hook completely, then there is no garbage in the river, unlike the slobs that leave miles of 6lb tippet material littering the streambanks. the most I lose are the occasional splitshot, here or there.
 I am proficient enough with heavy gear, that my hook is the weakest link, not 12 feet of 6lb flouocarbon leader material  those cowboys with their purty little orvis flyrods leave attached to the fish.
Like I said before, the braided stuff really shines when i'm dealing with rif-raf on the opposing bank.
It's the best of both worlds. I can finesse a fish, and make the occasional life miserable. ;D ;D
Anchorman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.