FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418893 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #975 on: Aug 09, 2009, 01:13 PM »
if snagger keeps going down the staircase  when the water is running at night in a blow up he'll be a bobber :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lollllllll what a nut
REMEMBER THE OLD TUBE RACE DAYS, when they ran the water at 2500cfs, got some broken ribs from flipping off my tube in the town hole and had to body surf the corner rapids above the High Bridge! Didn't hurt til the next day though, went to the Pulaski Field Days with my buddies and Mikey Fiumano, drunker than Kooter Brown! The good ole days!    Hey back in July of 98, we had a jumping off the Altmar Bridge party, when the River was at 8,500cfs and my property was under water! In that case, after a couple of hours, one guy almost did die, so we stopped doing it!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #976 on: Aug 09, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Oh forgot to say, took a walk to the shoolhouse yesterday and seen 1 king in the wire pool and 2 big skamanians around 14lbs a piece just above the rootball! There's a few around! Rivers back to a nice 185cfs, good level for using your glasses and taking a walk down river, if theres any public water left!!
how much of the river is being posted up? I know where i liked to go before the indians bough so that a no go anymore
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

SNAGGER

« Reply #977 on: Aug 09, 2009, 01:20 PM »
how much of the river is being posted up? I know where i liked to go before the indians bough so that a no go anymore
Barkley leased the lower black rapids, he owns the other side of stair case( only a matter of time before he has this side, plus no parking). A dentist or lawyer owns from high bridge to tail of town hole, now the whole upper ball park and as you mentioned the Indians bought my good friend Bruce Walden's old place at clarks falls above the papermill. Looks like the glass hole is gone now too! Too hard to keep up! At one time the DSR was OURS( the tax payers)!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #978 on: Aug 09, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Barkley leased the lower black rapids, he owns the other side of stair case( only a matter of time before he has this side,plus no parking). A dentist or lawyer owns from high bridge to tail of town hole, now the whole upper ball park and as you mentioned the Indians bought my good friend Bruce Walden's old place at clarks falls above the papermill. Looks like the glass hole is gone now too! Too hard to keep up! At one time the DSR was OURS( the tax payers)!
what about the paper mill that still accessible that gets right stacked with fish
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

SNAGGER

« Reply #979 on: Aug 09, 2009, 02:19 PM »
what about the paper mill that still accessible that gets right stacked with fish
That paper mill makes high quality photographic paper and film for Kodak with there pristine ground water from the Tug hill aquifer! Now with the new digital age were in, there's less demand for such things and they have laid most of there work force off. Wouldn't suprise me if they sold some there land also to some Fat Cat! As for now it's still Public!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #980 on: Aug 09, 2009, 02:43 PM »
wow  snagger just thinking if we still had all of those out of state people buying all  the lic  the state  would have had the money to buy   these lands   for future fisherman!!!!!  guess there wasn't enought good  catch and release boys to  pay for it .....dig dig
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

« Reply #981 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:02 PM »
wow  snagger just thinking if we still had all of those out of state people buying all  the lic  the state  would have had the money to buy   these lands   for future fisherman!!!!!  guess there wasn't enought good  catch and release boys to  pay for it .....dig dig
 The DEC got a gillizion dollars for that Occidental chemical suit from the old love canal days. They said they were going to do stream improvements, starting at the upper fly zone and continuing down River to at least the sportsman hole or til the money ran out. Well they did a bank erosion improvement on the upper fly zone, built them another parking lot, then built a wall across a flood diversion( also in the buffer zone between the fly zones), then did a bank improvement at the head of the church pool in the lower fly zone. When they got to the Altmar bridge they were supposed to fix the turn, the barrel hole, the schoolhouse and around the muskrat. Must be they ran out of money when they got to the working man's part of the River after they were done with the Yuppie playground ( fly zones). Haven't seen a machine around in 2 years!  Now Fran is blaming foot paths as the main reason for soil erosion, not the unnatural 750-1800 flows we have most of the seasons when plants aren't alive to hold the banks together! I'm glad we have River coordinators and stewards, where would we be without them!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #982 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:13 PM »
  I REALLY ALMOST PASSED OUT when I read yesterday that footpaths were the main reason why sediment was choking the Salmon River bottom. These people never fail to amaze me! I thought the River was as healthy as I've ever seen it! Plus all the beaten in snagger days paths are long over grown now, like need a masheddy to get to some spots! I wonder where that $800,000 or something went. Still haven't seen are ice fishing parking lot we were promised out of that money over to Sandy Pond!   State had money to buy the Portly Angler for 1.2 million as a training ground for rangers and young wardens though! I have no problem with that, just give us some more fishing access and our promised improvements on the river!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

« Reply #983 on: Aug 10, 2009, 03:30 AM »
snagger  i don't have my book so i'm going back with  just memory here  but  the main erosion wasn't  from paths it was  from the flood in i believe  early 80's maybe  late  70's , the  bridge in pulaki(in town was underwater  and fear the dam was going to go upstream i can remeber  water  was  flowing threw  salmon river  sports shop! alot of the river was changed that year!

KingPerch

« Reply #984 on: Aug 10, 2009, 06:38 AM »
REMEMBER THE OLD TUBE RACE DAYS, when they ran the water at 2500cfs, got some broken ribs from flipping off my tube in the town hole and had to body surf the corner rapids above the High Bridge! Didn't hurt til the next day though, went to the Pulaski Field Days with my buddies and Mikey Fiumano, drunker than Kooter Brown! The good ole days!    Hey back in July of 98, we had a jumping off the Altmar Bridge party, when the River was at 8,500cfs and my property was under water! In that case, after a couple of hours, one guy almost did die, so we stopped doing it!
That would've been a good reason NOT to do it anymore!!! With the stupid stuff I did and the stuff you did, Thank god you and I didn't hang around together back in the day!!! ::) I always like reading your stories. ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #985 on: Aug 10, 2009, 06:44 AM »
  I REALLY ALMOST PASSED OUT when I read yesterday that footpaths were the main reason why sediment was choking the Salmon River bottom. These people never fail to amaze me! I thought the River was as healthy as I've ever seen it! Plus all the beaten in snagger days paths are long over grown now, like need a masheddy to get to some spots! I wonder where that $800,000 or something went. Still haven't seen are ice fishing parking lot we were promised out of that money over to Sandy Pond!   State had money to buy the Portly Angler for 1.2 million as a training ground for rangers and young wardens though! I have no problem with that, just give us some more fishing access and our promised improvements on the river!
I remember this as well, where did those funds go for fishing access? Alot of promises, but no commitments. It would be like me taking $20,000.00 from Trapper for improvements on his home and having me go buy a bassboat.  ::)

trapper2000

« Reply #986 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:55 AM »
well wait!!!! do i get to fish in the bassboat  ......or you getting new  friends  that dress in orvis cloths  and  liftfish and say" HE  HIT!!!! HE HIT!!!! "    oh do i need to wear a pfd when ever were "underway"??????????  lolllllllll

KingPerch

« Reply #987 on: Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 AM »
1st- Trapper, can I have the $20,000.00? ;D
2nd- people find out I got money,Well yes,I will have new friends!!!! ;D
3rd- NO Orvis clothes allowed! ;D
4th- We only yell " I snagged, I snagged!!!" ;D
5th and final- NO PFD's!!!!  Now Trapper were underway, I'll bring the coffee!  :w00t: FISH ON!!!!

SNAGGER

« Reply #988 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:02 PM »
snagger  i don't have my book so i'm going back with  just memory here  but  the main erosion wasn't  from paths it was  from the flood in i believe  early 80's maybe  late  70's , the  bridge in pulaki(in town was underwater  and fear the dam was going to go upstream i can remeber  water  was  flowing threw  salmon river  sports shop! alot of the river was changed that year!
I remember that flood, I drove up from Ithaca to witness it, I was in 7th or 8th grade, so that would make it late December of 81 or 82. When I got into town the roadfs were blocked off, so we walked to town and the water was running through the buildings where tony's big A used to be anddown the street over to the old Silver Star grocery store! It was insane, like 18,000cfs or something. Hey if that storm that stalled out west of Syracuse last night had stalled here, we would have been in a bad situation today! I've got old photo's of where the river went right through my yard and ripped all of the road away for a half mile!            WHERE DID OUR BANK IMPROVEMENT MONEY GO!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #989 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:09 PM »
  Here's something to think about trapper, 3 years ago the power company gave the State all there land up here around the upper fly zone and down by the wire hole. I thought great! But now they have had Surveyers here 2 times a year for 3 years, remarking the same area's over and over! Sounds like job security to me, enough all ready! Spend some of that money to buy more easements for the public! That 1.2 million for the Portly could have bought quite a few acres of 200 foot easements for the public!   WHERE DID OUR BANK IMPROVEMENT MONEY GO?  Where did our ice fishing parking lot money go? All from occidental chemical corp.! On a fishing note, my buddies did pretty good on the kings this past weekend out on the lake. A couple of PIGS! Going to be some big ones this year!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.