FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418859 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1350 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:20 PM »
hey, what do you guys suggest for line?  strength and type?
thanks
 We use those 1/4lb. spools of trilene big game clear (10-15lb. depending on water height) most of us were using 12lb. this weekend!  Good line for the money! Get 1500 yds of 10 and 1175 yds of 12!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Jrock

« Reply #1351 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Still fishing the lake but had a couple hours to hit the river.  I like fishing the river before it gets crowded.  Took a couple friends from conn. out on the big lake saturday night and i fished a blank screen until the last hour before dark and it was on after that no big fish mostly around the 20lb range with a couple bonus cohos.  I figured by next weekend the zoo will be here in town so i am going to try and get a few days in on the river.  I take it that your oneida fishing is going to have to wait until the hard water now.  Keep on slaying them snagger maybe i will see you down there this week.

SNAGGER

« Reply #1352 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:37 PM »
 You still got a couple of weeks til it gets crowded, probably around the 19th! After the 25th is the real ZOO! These are kind of bonus Fish and also wasted fish! This run has alot of similarities to the 94 & 98 runs that came in this strong, this early! The whole River has fish in it from end to end and in good numbers! Plus theres more in the port again and more waiting just off shore! Believe me I don't want this many in, this early! Going to be alot of floaters, plus no crowds to make money off of after this weekend!  Stop over sometime! catch ya later!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

lambaste em

• WHERE THE SUCKA'S AT!!
« Reply #1353 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:21 PM »
You still got a couple of weeks til it gets crowded, probably around the 19th! These are kind of bonus Fish and also wasted fish! This run has alot of similarities to the 94 & 98 runs that came in this strong, this early! The whole River has fish in it from end to end and in good numbers! Plus theres more in the port again and more waiting just off shore! Believe me I don't want this many in, this early! Going to be alot of floaters, plus no crowds to make money off of after this weekend!  Stop over sometime! catch ya later!
Well I was at the trestle Pool today with Snagger (I was the one hooking the most fish) I was using a rubber legged pheasant tail purple catis feel ya fly, that was the ticket! I hooked over 50 fish but for some reason they were coming in backwards  :o  I was curious if it was because I was not in the fly fishing section or if I was not in the DSR where the fish actually bite  :w00t:  Can anyone on here or from SC help solve my problem? Maybe if I pay to fish an area where my tax dollars stock the river they will bite?  :wacko:

SNAGGER

« Reply #1354 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:37 PM »
 You know it's funny you should say that Lambaste em. I was at the papermill and after hooking a pile of kings, I got bored, so I took all my weight off and started flinging Arricafelious caddis flies in a nice riffle. The strangest thing I ever seen kept happening, as the flie drifted threw the pod of kings they would get really mad and swatt at my fly with there tails, resulting in alot of foul hooked fish.  :w00t:  As much as I didn't want to do it, I was forced to put my weight and sponge back on so as to get them in the mouth! I wonder how those guys down at the DSR keep things like this from happening!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

lambaste em

• WHERE THE SUCKA'S AT!!
« Reply #1355 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:48 PM »
You know it's funny you should say that Lambaste em. I was at the papermill and after hooking a pile of kings, I got bored, so I took all my weight off and started flinging Arricafelious caddis flies in a nice riffle. The strangest thing I ever seen kept happening, as the flie drifted threw the pod of kings they would get really mad and swatt at my fly with there tails, resulting in alot of foul hooked fish.  :w00t:  As much as I didn't want to do it, I was forced to put my weight and sponge back on so as to get them in the mouth! I wonder how those guys down at the DSR keep things like this from happening!
So we all should pay a politician to fish an area where our tax dollars spawn and raise these beautiful fish (wonder why everything says made in china)  :afro:

SNAGGER

« Reply #1356 on: Sep 08, 2009, 01:15 AM »
  Oh forgot to say earlier, all story telling and ribbing a side, it was a great weekend, but I've had to pick up trash just about everywhere I've fished. People are getting a little piggy again, try to pick up your fishing line and empty water bottles or they'll have more excuses to post more property! Keep it clean boys!  :D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1357 on: Sep 08, 2009, 08:35 AM »
now snagger i had to pick up a bag of trash myself! I KNOW IT COULDN'T have been left by REAL FISHERMAN!!!! so my advice everyone carry a bag in your pocket ......take a few seconds and toss some trash in the bag ....i know  were to good of people to leave  our outdoors a pig pen ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishmaster13184

« Reply #1358 on: Sep 08, 2009, 08:40 AM »
hey, what do you guys suggest for line?  strength and type?
thanks
i like 20lb berkley vanish the fish dont dodge it too bad and it is really strong. the only thing that sucks is breaking it off when you get a snag.

pigpen192006

• If they're hittin. i'll be there
« Reply #1359 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Snagger.  I've been following ur posts the past two weeks. and decided to take my father up to pulaki this past weekend. We only had saturday to fish. This was the very first time i'd had ever gone salmon fishing, and my father' first time to the river in over 20 years. We had a blast. We fished below the black hole, on the bend (other people there called it dead mans curve) until  around 1pm. ran out of hooks  due to snags. so we went to the tackle shop got some hooks, got lunch and spent  an hour or so gettin familiar with the river. We heard that DSR was insane and they were running up fast. When we got to the black hole That bend was packed. and it looked like you guys were having a blast. We fished the black hole until an hour before dark. They were there, we could see them jump. but we couldnt get a solid hook up. i got off work at 1130 friday night, got loaded and spent 5 1/2 hrs driving to get there. and i am hooked.  i have to thank you for your honest info on here. I'm glad i could find guys on here that knew the river and could give me the info i needed to take my father fishing for the first time in years. I'll be following your posts and we'll be on the river in force the next time. lol Thanks

SNAGGER

« Reply #1360 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Snagger.  I've been following ur posts the past two weeks. and decided to take my father up to pulaki this past weekend. We only had saturday to fish. This was the very first time i'd had ever gone salmon fishing, and my father' first time to the river in over 20 years. We had a blast. We fished below the black hole, on the bend (other people there called it dead mans curve) until  around 1pm. ran out of hooks  due to snags. so we went to the tackle shop got some hooks, got lunch and spent  an hour or so gettin familiar with the river. We heard that DSR was insane and they were running up fast. When we got to the black hole That bend was packed. and it looked like you guys were having a blast. We fished the black hole until an hour before dark. They were there, we could see them jump. but we couldnt get a solid hook up. i got off work at 1130 friday night, got loaded and spent 5 1/2 hrs driving to get there. and i am hooked.  i have to thank you for your honest info on here. I'm glad i could find guys on here that knew the river and could give me the info i needed to take my father fishing for the first time in years. I'll be following your posts and we'll be on the river in force the next time. lol Thanks
 THAT WAS PRETTY INSANE THERE ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON, WASN"T IT? I had a red sox cutoff on, I was in the middle of all those other lifters, sometimes had to cast over someones shoulders to hook them!   :w00t:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #1361 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:47 PM »
 If your one of those guys that think salmon bite or are just plain stubborn and enjoy hooking 2 fish instead of 40, theres plenty of forums around for that sort of nonsense! GLAD I COULD HELP YOU PIG PEN!  :thumbup_smilie:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

pigpen192006

• If they're hittin. i'll be there
« Reply #1362 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:56 PM »
It was an awsome first time experence. I kept an eye on everyone down the river.  I think i could've saw ya down there. it was pretty packed. haha. i was waidin in jeans wearin a Montauk, NY Tee. Man you guys got it goin on up there. that was i have to say by far the best river experence of my life. alot diff from steelheadin in Ohio. lol Oh i know they're inactive feeding comming up. Just dont have to experence.. yet  :flex:

SNAGGER

« Reply #1363 on: Sep 08, 2009, 04:33 PM »
   Tuesday Sept. 8th fishing Report: Only have 2 custumers out fishing today! They hit pulaski early just to check it, few milling around in places, but not enough to even put the pole together for.  They did good walking down below the sportsmans in the slate runs and a couple of holding pools! I took a drive over to the Trestle pool, it went from 400 fish and 100 guys of yesterday to maybe 150 fish and a dozen guys today! Alot less hook ups, but it was still OK. Must be alot of fish have ran up above the Altmar bridge now into the petting zoo's!  Nobody hardly around anywhere, good time for the River to take a break!  Good luck out there!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #1364 on: Sep 08, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I think he is refering to the lower black hole.
Hey flyswatter when you coming up this way! how did you come up with that name?  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.