FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418898 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1530 on: Sep 20, 2009, 04:07 PM »
PODS!  That's exactlly whats going through LB and lower Staircase today. Guys said groups of 10, then nothing, then groups of 10, then nothing!  Coho's and Kings mixed, not great, but better than Saturday! Couple guys here said they hooked 30 or so each for a half days effort!  WE NEED RAIN BAD!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

KingPerch

« Reply #1531 on: Sep 20, 2009, 05:00 PM »
That's an understatement SNAGGER!!!! WE need lots of rain!! Believe it or not, but my grass in my front yard is brown in spots >:(--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishingaddict

• Fishing is not an addiction, Its the CURE!
« Reply #1532 on: Sep 20, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Hey snagger cant get you on the phone, you been cleaning fish?  Heard it was slow saturday.  Hoping to hit it big through the week.  any predictions?  Give me a call
Fish fear me!

aj454

« Reply #1533 on: Sep 20, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Took a ride today and sat behind the VFW post. Sad but true saw a guy take a foul hooked fish home. Couple of guys yelled but foul hook man acted like he didnt hear a thing. Just dont get it?????

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #1534 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:24 PM »
454, just let it go.. Its a Salmon in 8 weeks would be fish food anyways. Its a put and take fish, let the man eat!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1535 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Took a ride today and sat behind the VFW post. Sad but true saw a guy take a foul hooked fish home. Couple of guys yelled but foul hook man acted like he didnt hear a thing. Just dont get it?????

aj  times are tough  man , and truth that salmon was dead anyways. in the greater  sceam of life  does it really matter? isn't it better   that he took it home  and  ate it then for it to rott  on the bank a week from now? guess you did say  one thing i agree with "i just don't get it"
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #1536 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:47 PM »
probably he did it as a way to speak out against the license increase.....take that NY  :w00t: :rotflol:

SNAGGER

« Reply #1537 on: Sep 20, 2009, 10:10 PM »
 I'm sure the fish cleaner who is supporting his familly didn't care where it was hooked! That's all I got to say about that!  Fishing was ALOT SLOWER in the evening at the Staircase and LB tonight than at mid day! Only 1 or 2 fish every 10 minutes moving through! Had guests at the Port that said that it got better towards evening!  BRING ON THE RAIN ALREADY! 21st of September and we've gotten 00.004" of rain this month! No REAL RAIN in Late August either!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

pigpen192006

• If they're hittin. i'll be there
« Reply #1538 on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:32 AM »
You know. I dont understand it. I was up there for two days. actually just got home. And With the exception of one Brown. Every Fish i saw landed and strung was foul hooked. I saw the guy there too. Looked like he had a blast at it. I have to agree With both Snagger and trapper on this. I'm sure if it was you, you wouldnt have said a thing...... :'(

trapper2000

« Reply #1539 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:31 AM »
not lieing , even if the hook is in the mouth  99.9% of the time  you snagged it in the mouth ! why  can i safely say this!!! there stomachs  are  closed! they don't  hit!  ,oh aggression ya a size  10 fly in bright pink really makes them aggressive!!!! go have  fun ! let other people have  fun  it's going to be a short season ,let the state  be  the jerks  with the army of green down there,which reminds me  i heard   gun shots last night and seen  spot lights, no sense in calling   all the  officers are  making sure the dieing salmon are safe !!!!! just something to think about boys

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #1540 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:45 AM »
As for the foul hooking of that Salmon.....Just let it go!!
You got to look at it like this. The state, if it was to make it to the hatchery. Are going to kill it anyways.
It was chased all summer long by fishermen and charter Capt's.(So there is revenue made there) gas,line,lures ETC! When you buy your fishing licence,you have already put an amount into the fish. Buying your tackle and gas to get to the river(More Revenue) for the state got have taxes. Oh yes don't forget about the GUY IN GREEN!!! They need a paycheck too. You know what...They don't get paid much to do that..Some just like to make your day $hitty... Ok, and you get caught keeping or lifting a deathwish fish..(More Revenue). So look at it like this...If you get away with a foul hooked fish and your going to eat it, think as yourself as Robin Hood!!
You just beat the state with there B/S taxes and you just got your money back.... :laugh:
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #1541 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:53 AM »
  Hey Trap, you know I've been a River Ratt my whole life and have spent little time on boats! Now that I own one, I went to see first hand what all the HOOPLA was about with this night fishing at the mouth! Fished the corner hole all the way out past the rocks into the lake! Well just more lining,lifting and snagging, which doesn't bother me one bit, but from reading all the Broshures about how they still bite and hit glow in the dark spoons and egg sacs with floaters, I was kind of let down! I even saw foul hooked fish from close to shore trollers! I saw over 150 boats and not one fish bit out of any of them, I went with the flow and had a great time as usual, I lined my share in the mouth and broke off foul hooked ones, if they don't even bite at the mouth, why would they bite up river?  Had a great time, but alot of PRETENDERS out there too!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

« Reply #1542 on: Sep 21, 2009, 09:12 AM »
snagger  i can in all honesty say i have  gotten a few kings   surf fishing salmon river mouth  with  fresh roe i have  had  a few spoons  almost swallowed in oswego , i have run planner boards and pulled  plugs  in the current too,again i believe i'm actually  foul hooking the kings in the mouth!!!! ,in all cases these were  fresh fish  and i mean fresh after 40 years of chasing salmon ,i have the opinion  these things  do not hit once in the  river! i'll have a  hundred  people jump me  that they hit plugs , truth is it's a waste of time you can hook  2 or 3  fish a day or  100  which do ya want to do? i live  on the river have all the time in the world to play  , but if i was driving hours  to  catch fish i would want to catch fish .... me personally i'm turning my back .... darn things are  the swimin dead  anyways  and should  be made into a monster movie!>>>>NOW I GOT ANOTHER  LEGAL QUESTION  WHAT IF I WANT TO DROP SHOT????? the  weight is  below the  bait! legal or not! i'm calling albany i want this one in writing i fore see  a ticket coming  but i have aa new  fishing system for  browns and steelies :)

danno

« Reply #1543 on: Sep 21, 2009, 09:32 AM »

According to the 2009 rule book, dropshotting is unlawful. 

Hard to believe how much the upper reservoir has dropped in the last few weeks without a significant rise in the river.  Without rain, even 350 cfm's drops the reservoir.  Can't see them increasing the flow much without rain. 

SNAGGER

« Reply #1544 on: Sep 21, 2009, 09:43 AM »
According to the 2009 rule book, dropshotting is unlawful. 

Hard to believe how much the upper reservoir has dropped in the last few weeks without a significant rise in the river.  Without rain, even 350 cfm's drops the reservoir.  Can't see them increasing the flow much without rain. 
  Thanks for the heads up on the RES! I'll take a drive up and look at it, usually the base flow from above is below 80cfs, so even 335cfs does alot of damage in a drought! Hey trap no lead below the hook on our River, don't know about Oswego, that's what I was doing at the mouth, JIGGING for smallies, but kept hooking Salmon!  :w00t:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.