FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418884 times)

soxfan

Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2820 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:03 AM »

.....wading jacket and a fly rod? Your closer to crossing that bridge than I thought  ;)

nice fish!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2821 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:05 PM »
 Creeks are up a little this afternoon with 3/8's of an inch of rain last night. Puddles in the driveway are sticking around alot longer now too. Groundwater tables are getting better everyday up here! If it stays mild much longer the Big Res. should get back to a normal level soon hopefully!             I wonder if the fly guys are still tearing them up just above the bridge!  ;D

Drove up and checked the Big Res. It's come up about 1 1`/2 feet since the last time I was there! But still leaving it about 5 1/2 feet down from the top of the Dam! Were getting there, but slowly! With more mild weather or should I say seasonably mild weather in the forecast( the average high this time of year for Altmar is about 39 degrees) we should keep gaining slowly!

HOLY COW was there alot of cars up at the upper fly zone(25+) and still 45-50 cars up at the bridge between parking lots!  Alot of money in town too, these vehichles were'nt anything I could afford! Are all the DSR guys up here now! It was a good weekend for the tackle shops and Bar on the other side of the bridge, most people I can remember for this time of year!

Only hours to go til December and no Measurable snow yet in Altmar for November, I wonder how many times that has happened?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

KingPerch

« Reply #2822 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Snagger, Is the water level back up any at the bridge? KPjr. was wondering!!! ::) He's hooked!! catch you later man!!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

« Reply #2823 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Snagger, Is the water level back up any at the bridge? KPjr. was wondering!!! ::) He's hooked!! catch you later man!!--KP
  When you and Kpjr had that good steelhead day the water was 750cfs, it's still a low 335cfs! So the run you were fishing really doesn't exist right now, the fish are all holding a little farther upstream til the water hopefully goes back up someday!! we'll just half to show him another shore spot in the meantime! Catch ya later KP!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #2824 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Nice Picture of the boy holding a big Brown Snagger!! You should put the Walleyes back up to!

Smiple...
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #2825 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Creeks are up a little this afternoon with 3/8's of an inch of rain last night. Puddles in the driveway are sticking around alot longer now too. Groundwater tables are getting better everyday up here! If it stays mild much longer the Big Res. should get back to a normal level soon hopefully! I wonder if the fly guys are still tearing them up just above the bridge!  ;D

Drove up and checked the Big Res. It's come up about 1 1`/2 feet since the last time I was there! But still leaving it about 5 1/2 feet down from the top of the Dam! Were getting there, but slowly! With more mild weather or should I say seasonably mild weather in the forecast( the average high this time of year for Altmar is about 39 degrees) we should keep gaining slowly!

HOLY COW was there alot of cars up at the upper fly zone(25+) and still 45-50 cars up at the bridge between parking lots!  Alot of money in town too, these vehichles were'nt anything I could afford! Are all the DSR guys up here now! It was a good weekend for the tackle shops and Bar on the other side of the bridge, most people I can remember for this time of year!

Only hours to go til December and no Measurable snow yet in Altmar for November, I wonder how many times that has happened?

I was up Sunday and could not believe the parking lots in Altmar...holy crap!!!  I was just out fishing by myself with a buddy and we took a drive up top...honestly...I think it was more crowded than a couple weeks ago!!!

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #2826 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:44 PM »
SNAGGER , clean out your mailbox  ;)
ttyl
Vic

SNAGGER

« Reply #2827 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:51 PM »
SNAGGER , clean out your mailbox  ;)
ttyl
Vic
 I DID!!             Hey Ice Geek that's how many cars there were TODAY!!!!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

KingPerch

« Reply #2828 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:17 AM »
  When you and Kpjr had that good steelhead day the water was 750cfs, it's still a low 335cfs! So the run you were fishing really doesn't exist right now, the fish are all holding a little farther upstream til the water hopefully goes back up someday!! we'll just half to show him another shore spot in the meantime! Catch ya later KP!!
I'll let him know!! He's home today with bronchitis and mild pnuemonia :(  When he's feeling better you can show us the other place!! Hope to get him out this weekend! Have a great day!!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

lpv89

« Reply #2829 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:26 AM »
snagger im planning on coming up there in january or february when should i come and where should i fish???
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

SNAGGER

« Reply #2830 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:38 AM »
snagger im planning on coming up there in january or february when should i come and where should i fish???
 Believe it or not, even though the Res. is low now, I have a funny feeling that were going to go through many high water periods this winter with frequent snowmelts!  I would plan your trip at the last minute, that way you don't waste your time if the River is Blownout!

Most guys in the winter fish up River in altmar, but if the River is below 750cfs, don't overlook the mid and lower parts of the River. Sometimes it takes a little walking in deep snow, but is worth it!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

lpv89

« Reply #2831 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:43 AM »
 Believe it or not, even though the Res. is low now, I have a funny feeling that were going to go through many high water periods this winter with frequent snowmelts!  I would plan your trip at the last minute, that way you don't waste your time if the River is Blownout!

Most guys in the winter fish up River in altmar, but if the River is below 750cfs, don't overlook the mid and lower parts of the River. Sometimes it takes a little walking in deep snow, but is worth it!

only problem i have to plan it out because i work every weekend and i was going to come up on a friday morning stay all day friday and sleep over friday night then come home on a saturday morning. so i can work saturday night.

i sorta have to plan 2 weeks ahead of time for wahtever fishin gi do. but i want to get some good jigging in on the SR
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

SNAGGER

« Reply #2832 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:51 AM »
only problem i have to plan it out because i work every weekend and i was going to come up on a friday morning stay all day friday and sleep over friday night then come home on a saturday morning. so i can work saturday night.

i sorta have to plan 2 weeks ahead of time for wahtever fishin gi do. but i want to get some good jigging in on the SR
 Best jigging is usually Late January into February. The steelhead come into our system pretty healthy and don't really need to feed much, but after a couple months of sitting in high cold water they use alot of energy! This usually sets up a good mid winter jig bite most years! Higher the water, the more they'll need food to survive the winter until late winter Spawning occurs!  2 weeks notice, you can usually tell what the River will be like, unless we have a really bad El Nino winter!

Another thing to remember, you live on probably one of the best biting steelhead Streams in the State! Our river systems coming off the Tug Hill don't get much color like your creeks out west! I don't know what it is about water color, but any waterway that runs green or little off colored makes the steelhead bite alot better! You could be let down by our hook up ratio compared to yours!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

fishermantim4

« Reply #2833 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:17 PM »
question for sack users. is it better to leave your eggs loose until closer to use or is it ok to tie them up in advance?
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

SNAGGER

« Reply #2834 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:28 PM »
question for sack users. is it better to leave your eggs loose until closer to use or is it ok to tie them up in advance?
I sent you a PM!!!!!!  Almost forgot, we got a couple inches of snow this morning! It's already all melted and in the ground!  More water for the Res.!!!!!!!!

This don't look like much, but this small band of snow is right over the drainage area for the Big Res. What ever snow they end up getting today, tonight and what fell last night will be melting when that Monster storm down in the gulf getts here Thursday!

Big graupel pellets are falling right now pretty good!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.