FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lk Ontario/fishing line  (Read 1480 times)

Zern

Lk Ontario/fishing line
« on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Hi Ya's

I am new to this site, came over from iceshanty.com. I own a boat and would like to get back into fishing Ontario again. last time i was fishing out there the Zebra mussles clean up the water everyone was switching to new lines.

Anyway. what fishing line do you all recommend? I would like to use something that can be used inshore (planer boards) and offshore with downriggers? i will be fishing mostly out of the wayne county area.

Thank you for any and all suggestions

Zern

Superman1976

Re: Lk Ontario/fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:49 PM »
I fish Ontario on a regular basis and so do all of my friends. We use 17 pd test flurocarbon or braid. The brand doesn't really matter I think I was using Stren last year for mono. The only problem is I think that would be a little heavy for fish on the inside for browns or stuff in the spring. I realize you want the best line for all around use. Best bet is buy more poles... or switch line like I do depending on time of year.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:29 PM »
12# Trilene Big Game on all my rigger reels and 50# spiderwire for the dipsys. For real spooky fish...splice in a leader of 12#  Yo-Zuri HYBRID Flourocarbon
    A Country Boy can Survive!

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:47 PM »
25/30# big game.  smaller diameter and the fleas with drive you nuts!

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:57 PM »
25/30# big game.  smaller diameter and the fleas with drive you nuts!
you are right FingerLakesBen....
Usually when the fleas arrive..we splice a 100' section of 30lb approx 20-50' in back of our 12lb leader..that way the thicker line is vertical in the water column and thinner leader.

My buddy has been experimenting with cortlands flea flicker line and he likes the results..may switch in the future.

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:01 PM »
you are right FingerLakesBen....
Usually when the fleas arrive..we splice a 100' section of 30lb approx 20-50' in back of our 12lb leader..that way the thicker line is vertical in the water column and thinner leader.

My buddy has been experimenting with cortlands flea flicker line and he likes the results..may switch in the future.

I just run an 8ft floro leader 8-10# for spring board fishing.  Don't you just love 3 foot of "snot" on your line, and oh they smell so nice.   :D

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I love it when you're fightin a big king and they all bunch up at the rod tip and make it impossible to continue reeling until your buddy "fingers" them out!

Zern

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:04 PM »

:D

WOOT great info! thanks fella's'

Think i am going to go with the 30lb test line with 10 lb test floro leader. i heard about them fleas.

I am going to spend saturday going over every inch of my boat and equipment. if the weather is decent, you will find me on Ontario other then that, Seneca or Keuka.

GOOD LUCK!

Zern

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.