FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout question ?????????  (Read 2024 times)

Captain1978

Trout question ?????????
« on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I hit some Lakes in the summer for Trout  at night using pickeled Herring. Just wondering if anyone else does this and how late in the year they do this???? I've only done this in the summer but I go out on the boat until there's ice.
El Capitano

johndeere540

Re: Trout question ?????????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Just wondering do you actually catch trout on pickled herring? I've never heard of using them.

double-aught

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:25 PM »
pickled herring?
they go good with beer...

i've used frozen herring, trolled for salmon. lakers would probably eat them off the bottom.

Captain1978

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Just wondering do you actually catch trout on pickled herring? I've never heard of using them.
Oh Yeah !!! We get Rainbows  on them at night. Works real good. Here's a couple pics of some bows I got at night on Pickeled Herring

El Capitano

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:27 PM »
  Pretty cool local technique! I used to use sawbellies frozen all winter on the finger Lakes! fish get less active once the water temp's leave the 40's though!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

KingPerch

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Oh Yeah !!! We get Rainbows  on them at night. Works real good. Here's a couple pics of some bows I got at night on Pickeled Herring

Never heard of pickled herring used before, But it seems to be working good for you though. Nice catch and oh by the way...  GO YANKEES!! NICE SHIRT!!  ;D--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

turbineking

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:57 PM »

so what was the point of this thread???? did your just ask and answer your own question......with pics??????

i wouldent use pickled herring to fertililize my septic tank ;)

Captain1978

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:37 PM »
so what was the point of this thread???? did your just ask and answer your own question......with pics??????

i wouldent use pickled herring to fertililize my septic tank ;)
My question was how late in the year people fish for trout while using this technique.
El Capitano

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:38 AM »
Are pickled herring considered a certified bait? ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

double-aught

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:45 AM »
i've fished seneca all through the winter using live bait and spin casting spoons. the only hinderance i've had is when it's so cold my eyelets freeze up.
trout can be caught year round on the finger lakes.
...i'm still not convinced about the pickled herring thing... ::)

floatinwoody

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:44 AM »
Bait shop near me sells pickled herring for bait. I had never heard of it until i got sme for a trip north.. Didn't improve the fishing any that week..

crazycrawler

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:16 PM »
You asked for how late. I caught two rainbows today and usually get them until about mid-November but not on the bait you use. After that for me the bite has always dropped off very quickly.

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2009, 04:58 PM »
never tried it myself but i have seen people uce pickled herring throught the ice on tip up and tipping there jigs with it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.