FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: GENESEE RIVER INFO!  (Read 6824 times)

skunker

• Carry In Carry Out Do Your Part
Re: GENESEE RIVER INFO!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Never really thought of it day way since I usually fish smaller streams in the fingerlakes and they get muddy right away.  Thanks for the info and good luck out there if you get out today!  I will hopefully be able to make a run.

iceplank

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Have to keep your eye on the southentier and northern Pennsylvania.   The Genesee and many of it's feeder streams start way down there.  It really isn't the local rains that raise the river level around Rochester.  If it rains heavy down there, then it can get blown out and muddy, but it sometimes takes a day or two to happen after the rain. 
thats the Gospel right there. I grew up 1 mile from river and she is till my summer doldrum walleye hole when i make the trip home from albany. the local weather can be bone dry but a wet southern teir can ruin any hope, sometimes for freakin weeks. lots of feeder action over many miles. it can be really frustrating making a roadtrip based on local weather and seein a raging chocolate shake..been there!!!!! those cold green water days are a steelheaders dream though......

icelegend

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:09 PM »
NICE PIC SNAGGER

molye

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I love hooking up with a big steelhead or salmon, so much that I have been driving up to the city to fish the genesee.  I really hate the city and am always paranoid that something crazy is going to happen, last sunday it did.  My step father and I were the only ones down there, we park at maplewood and climb down the gorge, the water was a little high, but we saw some fish coming to the surface so we kept trying. Right off the bat I cought a sucker but other than that it diddnt look good.  Fishing right under the Driving park bridge Im always thinking somebody is going to throw something and hit me, then it happened. SPLASH! right in front of me, like 5 feet further out than my float, something huge landed in the water!  Somebodys throwing dead hookers! I yelled.  Either that or something fell off the bridge.  I saw it about ten feet above the water, just in time to see the splashdown.  About 5 seconds went by and woosh it surfaced and the fast current took it away instantly, it was black and all puffed up, my first thought was it was a big garbage bag or tarp.  Next thing I know theres people looking down at me and I thought for sure they were throwing garbage bags or something so I ran under the bridge hoping I wouldnt get hit.  Thinking about what happened and realizing we probly wouldnt catch anything we decided to go check out Irondequoit creek, walking back down stream I looked up and there was like twenty people looking down and a firetruck pulled up on the bridge.  Somebody must have jumped, i said.  Then the rescue truck and some cops came down the rg and e road the yelled across, did you see that guy jump? Im telling you man if the wind had been different he might have landed on me, all for a stupid fish, that was the weirdest thing that I have ever seen.  I think next time im gonna go to Canadice.

monkeyman2269

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Your telling me a guy jumped off the bridge dam I love that spot but its not safe

fishermantim4

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2012, 11:45 PM »
i dont know why it is, but i seam to fish in the roughest and some of the most dangerous fishing areas of wny.  i think i should try fishing the genny someday, if its as bad of an area to fish as people have said on here
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Gump

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2012, 06:42 AM »
i dont know why it is, but i seam to fish in the roughest and some of the most dangerous fishing areas of wny.  i think i should try fishing the genny someday, if its as bad of an area to fish as people have said on here

It isn't as bad as people say.   Just use common sense and don't fish directly under the bridge and go with a buddy if you  are unfamiliar with the area.  People will do stupid things no matter where you are.  Right now on the east side there are contractors working at the pump house.  They have a security guard just inside the fence overlooking the entrance at the parking area top of the hill during the week.  Makes things more comforting.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2012, 11:31 AM »
 a couple years ago we fished below the falls for Catfish in the summer.   we pounded 'em pretty good.   As we pull onto st paul blvd on the way home we notice that the "locals" were out and about.   As we were going by the brewery, a car cut us off, and a bunch of guys pulled out with baseball bats, and proceeded  to chase some  dude  down the street,  as  a crowd of about 50 "locals" cheered them on.    Haven't been back since.

kappy

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Gump    you don't know the neighborhood  do yah.. it is bad as bad as people say... fished there my whole life and live here... just leaving your car at the top,, 75/25 chance it will be stolen or broken into... not like it was 20years ago... or even 10. you are better off, having someone drop you off.. I remember mayor Johnson  said he would not walk that neighborhood at night... and that is not even the worse part of the city... I live in the city.. not too far away.. I would never go down there alone,, if you know what I mean...
I have everything imaginable for protection, the summer is the worst

I have actually stopped 2 people from jumping before the fence was put up... felt good about that..

Moyle   geezz  that had to scare the crap out of you...

molye

« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Yea, a guy did jump, it was crazy to say the least! Ill never fish directly under the bridge again, heck i might never go there again.  Its nice on the east side that theres a gaurd and stuff but you gotta drive through the ghetto to get there, maplewood park seems to be the best side of ther river to park on, ive never had a problem there.  Its kind of a hike though. 

molye

« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Your telling me a guy jumped off the bridge dam I love that spot but its not safe
It was a butt bomb from 250ft :o :o

Gump

« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Gump    you don't know the neighborhood  do yah.. it is bad as bad as people say... fished there my whole life and live here... just leaving your car at the top,, 75/25 chance it will be stolen or broken into... not like it was 20years ago... or even 10. you are better off, having someone drop you off.. I remember mayor Johnson  said he would not walk that neighborhood at night... and that is not even the worse part of the city... I live in the city.. not too far away.. I would never go down there alone,, if you know what I mean...
I have everything imaginable for protection, the summer is the worst

I have actually stopped 2 people from jumping before the fence was put up... felt good about that..

Moyle   geezz  that had to scare the crap out of you...

I do know the neighborhood.  Fished it yesterday morning as a matter of fact...alone.  Like I said use common sense.  Don't fish there in the evenings, Don't leave valuables in your vehicle,  Don't leave it unsecured,  and I don't fish it during the summer when there is more activity in the streets.  If you stick with fishing it during the steelhead run in the winter months you will have little to worry about. 

kappy

« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:24 PM »
well how did you do?

Gump

« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2012, 09:21 PM »
River still off color but fishable.  Water is at 53 degrees already and the rough fish are in.  Never hooked a steelie.  Gave it a couple hours.  Might have been my last trip of the season....

iceplank

« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2012, 12:56 PM »
i used to night fish it whenever i could get back to rochester for walleyes. not last year as the guard wouldnt let me down there at night. many of 1 am walks up the gorge. no one has ever bothered me going back to 1984.when u think about it who is going to walk down that gorge looking for trouble in the dark.most of the crime is drug on drug  crime,. us fisherman dont interest most local folks involved in illicit activity.  that has been my experience. of course go with your comfort level. if it makes you uncomfortable dont do it...my paranoid father told me i could get popped by some 12 yr old working on a gang initiation. the crazy ole man did have a point and lectured me  on the innocent bystanders that get hurt in the city. i am 45 yrs old and  he is still doing his job. but those walleyes call me ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.