FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Broken trolling motor !!  (Read 2140 times)

esox v

Broken trolling motor !!
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:41 AM »
 I have an 80 # bow mount that when the prop stops in a certain spot the motor won't restart... i need to move the prop a bit to restart.... I have noticed a bit of vibration when the motors running.. any thoughts ?? I think I can replace the motor brushes and there are other parts available..
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

FuzzyGrub

Re: Broken trolling motor !!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Remove the prop and make sure there isn't any fishing line wrapped around shaft.  See if you have side to side play (bearing), bent shaft or seal damage.   Rotate the motor and you should feel just equal resistance as it aligns with each pole.  If it feels rough, there is probably internal work to do.  Outside of fishing line, it will probably take a teardown to fix.  Depending on model, that can be straight forward or allot of fun.   Find an online schematic and parts diagram to review before just tearing into it.
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy man...

esox v

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Remove the prop and make sure there isn't any fishing line wrapped around shaft.  See if you have side to side play (bearing), bent shaft or seal damage.   Rotate the motor and you should feel just equal resistance as it aligns with each pole.  If it feels rough, there is probably internal work to do.  Outside of fishing line, it will probably take a teardown to fix.  Depending on model, that can be straight forward or allot of fun.   Find an online schematic and parts diagram to review before just tearing into it.
 I have the original manual with parts diagram..I have not had this one apart yet... I a little apprehensive about making repairs below the water line. I'm thinking the brushes are worn and fully extended??? or I have a cracked magnet !!

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

icedd

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:04 AM »
My motor guide did the same thing replaced the brushes works fine .Take the top off check for corosion first .Was a pretty easy fix

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Good info, nice help!
Internet heros give it a rest!

esox v

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49 AM »
My motor guide did the same thing replaced the brushes works fine .Take the top off check for corosion first .Was a pretty easy fix
Thanks for the info Icedd !! I think I'm going to give it a shot !! Cheap fix and if it doesn't work adding 25 bucks to a 1,300 bill is not a big deal..

gert9888

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17 AM »
id send it to them i got mine all a part and back together 3 times now and it just wont work the same MINN KOTA will fix it up for a price and it will definatly work  for quite a bit shy of 1300
You can read the fishing report or be in it! Get out and fish

esox v

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:13 AM »
id send it to them i got mine all a part and back together 3 times now and it just wont work the same MINN KOTA will fix it up for a price and it will definatly work  for quite a bit shy of 1300
whats turn around time and how much was shipping ? If i need to invest more than 150 or 200 bucks .. I'm buying a new one because the rest of the motor is just as old.. If I... with a few bucks... can buy myself some time to find a great deal on a new or used one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.