FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ? about walleye season  (Read 2067 times)

aj454

? about walleye season
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:27 AM »
It says first Saturday in May to the 15 of March.  So from March 15 to the first Saturday in May is approx. 7 weeks. Whats the reasoning for closing the season for 7 weeks??? Does anyone know why they do this. Hope its for spawning or restocking reasons. ???

zackblain

Re: ? about walleye season
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:20 AM »
They come in shallow to spawn and are prone to being over fished and pressured during that time

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:34 AM »

they are pretty stressed at this time and your not to targeting them between those times you can get a ticket for it , if you get a chance you should come to up the the hatchery and see , it's pretty cool stuff 

fishit

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Walleyes need water temperatures between 48 and 55 degrees f. to spawn...most of the waters in NY that hold spawning eyes will reach these temps. during that closed season time...if we get an early spring warm up you will see fish moving to spawn before the 3/15 closure...
1,168,124 Trout caught and released since 1997...another good year for the trout...

aj454

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Only takes 7 week to spawn?? Anyway that answered my question and curiosity. Interesting stuff to know.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Only takes 7 week to spawn?? Anyway that answered my question and curiosity. Interesting stuff to know.

Most fish will complete the spawn in a week or less,  but when the spawn happens is variable from year to year, so they get a large window of time.

bailey63

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Depending on the part of the state you live in a few places are available to see spawning eye s chataqua, conesious / big dang northerns also here or the hatchery on oneida . I have a steelhead spot that i quit fishing for a whils because it fills with eyes for a week and they are hungry after spawn hit anything. So i avoid it for a couple weeks. In itself it kinda neat one day your catching crome the next day you feel that familiar head shake. I was amazed they ran as far inland as they do. I have never told a soul where it is but its about 30 miles inland from the lake.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.