FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First open water fish of the year  (Read 2884 times)

crappie66

• BOILER UP
First open water fish of the year
« on: Mar 17, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Well since it was nice and sunny today I decided to fish for an hour before I went in to work this afternoon.  I know around ice out time below the dam on the river the crappie and pike really move in to spawn.  I didn't get any action with the crappies, but did manage to catch 2 pike, of which only one was legal size.  The pike were caught on bass minnows.  The weather hasn't been quite warm enough for long enough to get big numbers of fish to move in yet.  A couple days of 50 degree weather should do the trick.  Nonetheless, here is a picture of my first open water fish of the year and first legal pike I have caught.

GO PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vancouvercanuck

Re: First open water fish of the year
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2005, 12:10 PM »
At least your out fishing the open water already. Once those Pike move in sounds like you'll have some good days.

Cheers,
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

ChapstickCharlie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Nice start to the year there.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Well I decided to try my luck at the pike and crappie again this morning for a couple hours below the dam.  My first cast produced a decent pike.  I had 2 more runs but didn't get a solid hook set.  I also caught one crappie, it was only about 10 inches, I missed a few others while I was messing around casting for the pike.  The hits came to a hault so I put on an erie dearie tipped with a large minnow and started casting into the heavy current thinking maybe a few walleye have arrived already to spawn.  I had one decent hit, but yet again I missed the hook set.  I just wish we could have 2 or 3 straight days of 55 plus degree weather, that would really get the pike and crappie into the area in large numbers.  I released the pike in the pond where I live so maybe I will catch it again this spring or summer.   I am really starting to like the whole pike fishing thing, this is my first year fishing for them, they put up a much better fight than those ugly green carp so many people fish for.  Two years ago I put at least a hundred or so 8 to 14 inch crappie in the pond from various fishing trips, and last year I caught alot of 10 to 12 inchers when I wanted to fish but didn't have a lot of time to travel somewhere.  It is going to suck when I move and can't fish the pond any longer since I have put the crappie, pike, a few nice bass, and a lot of nice channel cats in there.

Go PURDUE!!!!!

FishinDog

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2005, 06:37 AM »
I hear ya about the weather. I am taking the boat out come @#$# or high water this weekend, just have to get out! :)  Nice pike, what did you get him on?

FishinDog...

sell

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:14 AM »
 Caught 7 bass  one real nice three pounder and lost a real good one at the boat. Fishing a break off a weedline in 14 ft. of water. Firetiger Shad Rap, Kos. county lake. d**n it felt good to get out. We need three days of warm weather and they will really turn on. Looks like it my be coming later next week. ;D

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:49 PM »
Made it out again early this afternoon for 2 hours to try my luck at more pike and try to get a few crappie.  I managed to get one pike and one crappie.  Both fish caught on crappie minnows using an ultralight.  The pike was fun on 4.5 foot rod with 4 lb test, it took some time to get it in.  I also had larger bass minnows out specifically for the pike but didn't get any hits on those.  I think after tomorrow the fishing should really turn on since that will make it two consecutive warm days.  I am really starting to like catching these pike.  I think I have also found myself my new lucky  spring and fall fishing jacket, GO PURDUE!!!!!

Later this evening I walked around the pond where I live casting a small crappie jig, I only caught one crappie, water is still really cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.