FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ny catfish thread  (Read 9603 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Ny catfish thread
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2014, 02:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of cut up creek chubs for bait.I throw them in a ziplock bag whole and let them sit in the sun for a day. Then cut them into chunks, leaving the skin on. The skin keeps it on the hook good. Pike will also nail these so be ready!

No need to let them ripen.   "LOA" nailed it dead on, fresh suckers, cut up.   Been doing the catfish thing going on 25 years now, and there is NOTHING quite as good for the BIG (15lbs+) Channel Cats as HUGE chunks of fresh cut sucker.     All of my friends and I biggest cats come on chunks the size of your fist or bigger.  

Here's a nice one from early April

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Nice kitty Lance.

;)

315stickbow

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Nice fish! I caught a bunch of sheepshead, a few bullhead and a couple 20lb carp. Was a blast! Still on my cat quest

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2014, 11:14 AM »
STICK when caughdenoy is right hook up with us. i've caught several in the 20-25 lb class i'm hell bent on the state record

Postletown

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2014, 11:27 AM »
I have found that a lot of the rumors about letting bait sit in the sun and get rotten and stinky are not true IMO.  I have much better luck with fresh cut bait and fresh chicken liver sacks.  A nice big night crawler also works well when the other baits don't.  I fish the Cattaraugus several times a week when the cats are in during late May and early June.  We do very well!
-Chris

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:30 PM »
postleton i agree completely

big_guy_13021

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:37 PM »
I also agree the fresher oilier the better..ill change my bait every 30 minutes or so..i  like to catch a bluegill slice a chunk a meat off and plop it out there...or even better a fresh mooneye or sawbelly ;D.if u can snag one. :angel:

315stickbow

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Anyone having any luck?

wally13

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 01:35 AM »
nice fish yea I like using whole night crawlers fishing the bottom

powdiddy

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Rob let me know about the dam deal . Can u get a boat down far enough to fish them ? .

powdiddy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 05:47 PM »
got this one walleye opener  .

deggert60

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I heard the erie canal and genesee river are the bests spots around Rochester. Id be fishing from shore. Anyone know any good access points around Rochester?
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

greensider

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 07:16 PM »
nice cat congrats

315stickbow

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Nice cat! I used Google maps to find spots in rachacha. Not too many folks fish out there. They looked at me funny when I asked where I could fish

fishryc

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I heard the erie canal and genesee river are the bests spots around Rochester. Id be fishing from shore. Anyone know any good access points around Rochester?

I fish them right off the Summerville side breakwall / pier at the end of the line where the Genny flows into Lake Ontario.
 Generally, I don't walk too far out; on the river side of the pier, and at a certain point, boulders line the edge.
 I stop just before that.
 Didn't go last year, but 2 years back wife and I took 22 on one morning during the first week of June.
 I'm not targeting the monsters though-- I use live leeches ("jumbo" if available) and catch 1.5 to 3 pounders.
 Big guy's are in there though, and I'd guess that a larger bait will target them better.
 Good luck; have fun.....................
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.