FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512799 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4335 on: Jul 20, 2021, 07:59 PM »
It's a shame we can't fix all those. We can spend billions on the military industrial complex but ... (Not knocking the military as I am a veteran.)
At this point there are so many problems that compound the issue I don't know how you could fix the problems. Most municipalities installed water and sewer but not drainage.  Now that they are installing drainage,  there isn't anywhere for it to go. All the fields around here are tiled. 1" of rain and the creeks are rushing.  2" and they are backed up. There is no where for it to go and ends up in the sewers.
  I know I keep getting down on farmers but explain to me how if you are to build a new business around here now, you have to have a way to capture and hold a 2" rainfall on your property.  But farmers can tile all they want. What causes more issues, run off from the parking lot of a 1 acre business or the 500 acre tiled field next to it.
  Sorry for the derailment,  just tired of seeing this planet trashed.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4336 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:27 AM »
I don't blame you. I'm very sensitive to poison ivy and have had it really bad in my younger days. Plant base dermatitis is no picnic. So whatever it was...

I was only kidding about New York.  I actually lived on military property as a dependent in Massachusetts that ended up a Superfund clean up site. They used some kind of chemical around the foundations of our quarters that must have been pretty bad as they totally removed the soil and there is still no development there.

Yeah I have since heard disparaging comments about MG.

Yeah, Dom turned me organic years ago. I might get a spot or two on my tomatoes, but at least I know what I’m eating…..from my gardens anyway.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #4337 on: Jul 21, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Organic makes sense but... being heavily involved in aquaculture as president of my state association etc. we found at least in some cases it's used by marketers as a marketing ploy to raise prices. Sure you have to meet requirements to be certified, but I'm not convinced some of the "organic" foods out there are truly 100 percent "organic."

And just because something used is "organic" doesn't mean it's good for you.

But I get your drift that if you grow it yourself you have total control. Or do you? Are you sure the seeds you use came from organically raised plants?

Here's a good one for you: Male tilapia grow the fastest and grow the largest. Therefore it's common practice for tilapia farmers to treat their feed when they are fry with methyl-testosterone to produce all males.This is because as you probably know, most fish out there  don't become male or female right after they hatch. It takes a little longer.  Anyway allegedly the hormone is long gone once the fish reaches harvest size, but the government adamantly refused to give me permission to do it with my trout (my taxidermy market prefers males) even though my trout were not produced for the food market. I guess I just didn't have the funds to contribute to campaigns and the lobbyists to push my cause.

Additionally, knowing what I know about tilapia imported from Asian and other countries you couldn't pay me to buy or eat them. Last I knew they are exempt from any restrictions like they are in the U.S. (other than the methyl- testosterone) as in we are not allowed to use drugs or other chemicals and they can grow them at high densities in sewage treatment ponds, and throw the kitchen sink at them as in chemicals to keep them alive.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4338 on: Jul 21, 2021, 09:20 AM »
At this point there are so many problems that compound the issue I don't know how you could fix the problems. Most municipalities installed water and sewer but not drainage.  Now that they are installing drainage,  there isn't anywhere for it to go. All the fields around here are tiled. 1" of rain and the creeks are rushing.  2" and they are backed up. There is no where for it to go and ends up in the sewers.
  I know I keep getting down on farmers but explain to me how if you are to build a new business around here now, you have to have a way to capture and hold a 2" rainfall on your property.  But farmers can tile all they want. What causes more issues, run off from the parking lot of a 1 acre business or the 500 acre tiled field next to it.
  Sorry for the derailment,  just tired of seeing this planet trashed.

I agree with you totally. But it has been even worse. When I was growing up Lake Erie was all but dead. A river in Ohio regularly caught on fire. The Clean Water Act helped a lot although some politicians now what to remove it.

As far as the farmers they apparently have a strong Farm Bureau in your state. Same here in Indiana. No issues dredging and clearing streams and rivers here, but Michigan is just the opposite. Remove one tree from a creek and you are in deep sheet in Michigan. It's because tourism brings big dollars in Michigan, and farmers do in Indiana.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4339 on: Jul 21, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I don’t buy “organic” foods. I just try my best to keep what I grow safe to eat. I use the MG on my flower beds. I don’t eat many flowers. Well, except for my black opal basil and Greek oregano. Those  never need any additional stuff to make them grow.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #4340 on: Jul 21, 2021, 07:17 PM »
RG, the last three weeks I've had a rash on my sides near my arm pits. As well as on my forearm. It's not acting like poison ivy or oak. And I was doing a good bit of weeding in the garden. It's getting better but still hanging on. I didn't notice any new weeds in the garden. I attributed the rash to heat rash as it has been crazy hot and humid at work.

tomturkey

« Reply #4341 on: Jul 22, 2021, 05:36 AM »
I always carried a bottle with baking soda in my truck when I was working. It works wonders on getting rid of  heat rash.

Making a paste out of it and putting the paste on a bee sting takes the sting out of the sting.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4342 on: Jul 22, 2021, 05:51 AM »
Mine is healing well after 4 days of taking cetirizine ( aka Zyrtec). Stopped the reaction cold in a couple days. I’m sure mine was plant based. Just can’t identify which weed caused it. I bought the Walmart Equate brand. Same exact dose for 1/3 the cost of the name brand. I took 1 the first 24 hrs, another and another 12 hrs later. Then 2 more at 12 hr intervals. Stopped taking it yesterday. 1% hydrocortisone helped relieve the itching.

Worked for me anyway.

Good news is, my beans have already sprouted and the garlic experiment is working. They’re growing up through already.. it’ll be interesting to see what I get.

Benadryl cream works wonders on insect bites. I’ve used it a couple times at the golf course where I’m working. We’re moving targets for every biting bug there is when we’re mowing.

Speaking of golf…my Son and I are playing the club today. Sure is a benefit to play a $60 per round course free. Also nice to experience the fruits of our labors. It’s kind of our 18 hole garden.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4343 on: Jul 22, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Actually it’s Lyme disease. It manifests with a circular rash at the infection site. It’s very treatable but persistent.

Nothing like what I had. Or what was described.

taxid

« Reply #4344 on: Jul 23, 2021, 06:29 AM »
that kind of s___ blows my mind!  why we have to grow food "safely" here, but we can import stuff grown without regulations at all!  who is the moron making this possible? lol

isnt fish food full of contaminates too?  its everywhere you turn! in the food in the water in the air. then we have companies like J&J and monsantos that knowingly poison millions of people for decades!  those people should be tied in the town square and stoned. imo  maybe next guy would think twice.

Who are the people that make that possible? Politiicans of course that take lobby money.

Fish food here is NOT contaminated no matter what you read or hear. It's very tightly controlled and inspected.

Personally think the whole glyposates controversy is overblown. It breaks down rapidly in the soil and people that allegedly got sick from it weren't following proper precautions. When spraying any herbicide keep it off your skin and out of your lungs! Common sense! It sure is a gravy train for law firms though.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4345 on: Jul 23, 2021, 07:03 AM »
How bout mums?

That’s not even half of them…,,,
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4346 on: Jul 23, 2021, 08:41 AM »
How bout mums?

That’s not even half of them…,,,

Every year Donna and I plant what are "supposed to be" hardy mums out front of the porch.
And they never come back up the following year.
Not this year.
My son Jeff is buyin the house by year's end.
So he can play those games here on out.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4347 on: Jul 23, 2021, 09:29 AM »
This one sat on the picnic table in a pot outside all winter. It decided to come back this year.

So I stuck it in the ground and it’s pretty happy.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4348 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Same here Mac. I don’t know what they mean by “hardy”
 But my mom always has some come back.  But there under one metal roof that piles a lot of snow on them..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4349 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:53 AM »
Same here Mac. I don’t know what they mean by “hardy”
 But my mom always has some come back.  But there under one metal roof that piles a lot of snow on them..

Same - ours were in a garden below the porch awning.
An awning that dumps a TON of snow down on top of the garden.
Still.................

We have been told that "hardy" mums will come up every year.
But we have not been succesful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.