FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1st Musky on the fly  (Read 1163 times)

2LMKR2

1st Musky on the fly
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:01 PM »
I tried doing it one summer a few years ago but never hooked a fish, then had some shoulder problems and couldn't cast my larger fly rods. Now my shoulder is better and I have been working with the heavier rod to get my arm strength back so I can cast for a few hours at a time. Gave it a try today and the stars must have aligned and lady luck must have been smiling because it all came together and worked out. Not a really big fish, 36”, but what a rush!

taxid

Re: 1st Musky on the fly
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I tried doing it one summer a few years ago but never hooked a fish, then had some shoulder problems and couldn't cast my larger fly rods. Now my shoulder is better and I have been working with the heavier rod to get my arm strength back so I can cast for a few hours at a time. Gave it a try today and the stars must have aligned and lady luck must have been smiling because it all came together and worked out. Not a really big fish, 36”, but what a rush!

I bet that took some line off the reel!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

2LMKR2

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Just a lot of thrashing until I got it close to the boat, Then it made a few hard runs!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 05:03 AM »
Great accomplishment..   Congratulations..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Now that's an accomplishment!  They are tough enough to catch using casting gear or trolling. Cool fly, probably not something they have seen a million times.

2LMKR2

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

My dad taught me to fly fish at a very young age, tying a fly and getting a fish to take it is something I've always enjoyed doing.

2LMKR2

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 01:36 PM »
For anyone who might be interested in the fly here is a better picture of it.

It is an articulated fly. All of the body and materials are from Niklaus Bauer's Top Water Pike Popper (which is also a great bass fly). But rather than using the foam popper head I used a dubbing loop of strung fuzzy fiber for the head, from Gunnar Brammer's Chosen One Bulkhead. These guys have some great YouTube videos. The tail is a large Paolo Pacchiarini's Dragon Tail which helps to give the fly an amazing amount of action!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.