FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Walleye  (Read 5050 times)

PeterCos

Saratoga Walleye
« on: May 20, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Keeping my new LUND boat on Saratoga Lake this year. Any info on walleye fishing would be greatly appreciated.  Did not have my usual luck with crappie as the weather was not very cooperative.

iceplank

Re: Saratoga Walleye
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 07:01 AM »
I prefer night fishing and throwing stick baits in the shallows 4- 10 fow . I have used crawler harnesses but find I get a lot of panfish pulling bait off. I quit by the end of June. The weeds, warm water and insane traffic keep me off and the fish head deeper. My favorite time is in November and December .I Plan to crappie fish it tomorrow as the water must be finally warming up and the giant gills may be more active also.

PeterCos

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Thanks Iceplank.   I was thinking about harnesses and also use to have luck with Flatfish years age. I was just a kid with my dad and uncle.
Used to troll from Kaydeross to Mannings and then across to Snake Hill and Maple if I remember correctly. Still good spots or where else?
Good luck on the crappie, water temp was around 69 Thursday. I am retired so can mostly avoid the traffic by going midweek.

62 & Done

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:29 PM »
  I've been fishing "Toga for going on 40 years.  I have yet to unravell the mystery surrounding walleyes in that water.  Banner days have happened but most will not be so. The same conditions on another day will produce nothing.  I've tried all hours of the day and night with the most success from first light for about 2 hrs.  Then you may as well go get breakfast and get a few chores done.  Also as odd as it sounds, those hot , nasty , muggy days are when I do best .

PeterCos

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Thanks 62 for the INFO

PeterCos

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Well my first walleye endeavor ended today with a skunk.  Marked a lot of fish suspended over at 10 to 15 feet of water over 25 to 35 feet but do not not what they were or interested in. Any advice appreciated.

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2021, 09:32 AM »
I dont know that lake at all... but id be targetting these areas this time of the year..
Drop offs
Creek/river channels
Inside corners of contour change
Shallower Mud flats
Possibly try these areas?

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Only targeted them through the hardwater. Only walleye I’ve ever caught there was on a Senko during a bass tournament. Poor timing!

PeterCos

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2021, 12:15 PM »
Thanks guys

PeterCos

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2021, 07:45 PM »
On a different note anybody do much pike fishing on the lake? Supposed to be pretty good.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2021, 08:34 PM »
Few and and far between. The other toothy critters get in the way of northern, walleye and bass fishing

adironzach

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2021, 03:19 PM »
On a different note anybody do much pike fishing on the lake? Supposed to be pretty good.

The trophy pike that use to be semi-common in Toga are a thing of the past now unfortunately. Their numbers have decreased tremendously over the last decade or so.

PeterCos

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Thanks for the info guy. Were they over fished or what happened?

adironzach

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Not sure for certain. Through talking to people, seems to be the consensus has been some combination of over harvesting of the large females, as well as the aggressive campaign by the SLA to control the weed population. The Milfoil x Zebra mussel combination really started choking the lake out weed wise a number of years ago. The zebra mussels improved water clarity, continued development around the lake increased the eutrophication of the lake, and then the milfoil exploded. That definitely helped the pike and bass populations as the weed base expanded tremendously across the lake. I dont know for certain, but if my memory is right, i know theyve done a few different chemical treatments to help control the milfoil as well as weed eaters every summer. That's helped keep the weeds at bay for recreation but definitely had a negative effect on the fishing. Some combination of the two would be my best bet for why the Toga Pike population took a dive. I tend to fish it often as its so close to my house, and have noticed a lot more pickerel being caught as compared to years past too. Not sure if anyone else seems to catch more slime darts now as oppose to years past.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Not sure for certain. Through talking to people, seems to be the consensus has been some combination of over harvesting of the large females, as well as the aggressive campaign by the SLA to control the weed population. The Milfoil x Zebra mussel combination really started choking the lake out weed wise a number of years ago. The zebra mussels improved water clarity, continued development around the lake increased the eutrophication of the lake, and then the milfoil exploded. That definitely helped the pike and bass populations as the weed base expanded tremendously across the lake. I dont know for certain, but if my memory is right, i know theyve done a few different chemical treatments to help control the milfoil as well as weed eaters every summer. That's helped keep the weeds at bay for recreation but definitely had a negative effect on the fishing. Some combination of the two would be my best bet for why the Toga Pike population took a dive. I tend to fish it often as its so close to my house, and have noticed a lot more pickerel being caught as compared to years past too. Not sure if anyone else seems to catch more slime darts now as oppose to years past.

Slime darts have been on the increase the last 4-5 years, while walleye and pike have been on the decline. That’s my experience.

Hopefully the bass population isn’t next. SLA has indeed had a hand in the downturn of this wonderful fishery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.