FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Walleye  (Read 5048 times)

PeterCos

Re: Saratoga Walleye
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2021, 10:54 AM »
Thanks again for the information.  Is the 8 million walleye  fry stocking a reality and who handles it? I would be willing to give them a hand.
Also, I would have no problem targeting pickerel to weed them out, where would that be best accomplished?

fishinjohn

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2021, 12:42 PM »
Apprx 1% of eye fry make it so 8 mil REALLY isnt alot at all....
They most likely will get stocked from a state boat.. take them for a ride in plastic bags filled with cold water and dump them here and there... fry are small so wouldnt really take them long to stock a lake

PeterCos

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2021, 07:41 AM »
Well even 1% would be 80,000 annually, plus any that still spawn in K creek makes me think  they should be a little easier to catch than they are. Onieda, much larger lake with a high success rate has about 1 million adult walleye. With only 50,000 a year for a few years on Saratoga makes me think they should be fairly dense. Just makes me wonder a little.

PeterCos

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2021, 07:48 AM »
Did the math and for equal success on Oneida and Saratoga based just on size. Saratoga adult population would need to be around the magic number of 80,000, one good successful annual stocking.

PeterCos

« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2021, 02:25 PM »
Was out today and marked tons of fish around Snake Hill and across to Mannings Cove on that basin. The fish were suspended over 30 to 35 feet of water at 15 to 20 feet. Were they walleye in a thermocline? Was running harnesses and not sure to stay near the bottom as usual or bring it up to that level.

filetandrelease

« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2021, 02:38 PM »
 When I’m marking  fish at two different levels try running rigs at both depths , as I have caught eyes 20 down over 40’
 Besides eyes are comfy at 70*
 Ive jigged eyes in warmer and shallower water in numbers 

PeterCos

« Reply #21 on: Jul 07, 2021, 04:36 PM »
Thanks Filet- The surface temp was 76.

fishinjohn

« Reply #22 on: Jul 07, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Peter.. remember one critical piece of information about walleye....
They WILL feed up and WILL NOT FEED DOWN!!!!
 Youre better off to be 10 ft above them than 1 foot below

filetandrelease

« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2021, 05:21 AM »
 That’s right John , all the more reason to stagger your baits when trolling, another thing I’ve  noticed over the years hard or soft water walleyes are creature of habit , don’t over think , I have in the past it can drive you nuts ,  and never be afraid of thinking outside the box
 We all have good and bad days but it’s more fun catching than fishing , according to my grandson walleye Watson 😉

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2021, 05:50 AM »
I have caught them on a worm harness dragging on the bottom..   Even drifting a night crawler right on the bottom…   :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2021, 06:02 AM »
 Sorry Dom i forget sometimes as I haven’t dragged a worm in years , matter of fact haven’t tipped a jig with a worm in years either

62 & Done

« Reply #26 on: Jul 08, 2021, 09:37 PM »
just food for thought:  Yesterday I launched on Toga at 4:15 am   By 5:00 I had two in the box    Then came day-light   For three hours I polished lures, including the ones that require a night crawler.   After 8 I decided to finish off the day with a limit of nice gills.  I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want Saratoga eyes, you need to get up early.    This same deal has played out about 6 times in the last few weeks.  Next time, I launch at 3:00

PeterCos

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Thanks 62 I will try it.

PeterCos

« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Went out yesterday, no choice but mid afternoon. Dragging a harness slow over 30-35ft. Dumped one walleye and had my share of big bluegills. May go to just crank baits to lower number of gills for now. They are fun but would rather find what Waldo is doing.

lowjack12

« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Saratoga is like a pond compared to some lakes and gets beat down with noise
Try fishing at night they go nocturnal
You will eliminate some of the other fish
Night is when they feed there the most

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.