FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ulterra  (Read 8328 times)

swnoel

Ulterra
« on: Jun 27, 2021, 06:53 AM »
Finally got a chance to fool around with my new Minn Kota Ulterra... this thing is amazing! It's everything they claim it is. While it maybe expensive I don't regret buying it. Spot lock is amazing... auto pilot is amazing. I can actually fish now without worrying were the boat is headed. There is no doubt I couldn't fish without it now.

swnoel

Re: Ulterra
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:36 AM »
I fished without it...  ;)

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:44 AM »

Spot lock is a great tool and I also use mine for trolling , my terova is now 11.5 years old and I’ve never regretted purchasing it ,

gotagetm

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:52 AM »
My terova is great especially when I'm out by myself trolling

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Have you had the berries to solo launch it without a rope yet like the commercial? I used mine for a good 3 months before I did the unmanned launch! And I made sure no one was around in case it didn't deploy and I had to swim for it! Now I'm so confident with it I'll launch it anywhere with the remote. And if the dock is too busy with no place to tie up I can just let it drift off and spot lock it. It's easier than getting the ropes out! I've even used it to load my boat on the trailer. Just send it good and fast and make sure to stow at just the right time.

Do you have a Humminbird head unit networked with it? I got a Helix 9 without imaging just to map and control the motor. With the LakeVu and Coastmaster maps you can "Follow the contour" which I find incredible for trolling both fresh and salt.

I hate to admit a piece of equipment is responsible for me being a better fisherman, but this motor really is. I can troll and set downriggers instead of drive. I actually fish more because it's less work/stress. On the salt, I can fish deepwater groundfish using less weight, because the spotlock is so accurate. I can move a set up on a new spot easier, there is no throwing or setting an anchor, and with the Ulterra there isn't even leaving the helm. Yes, I'm a bit enamored with mine!

swnoel

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Have you had the berries to solo launch it without a rope yet like the commercial? I used mine for a good 3 months before I did the unmanned launch! And I made sure no one was around in case it didn't deploy and I had to swim for it! Now I'm so confident with it I'll launch it anywhere with the remote. And if the dock is too busy with no place to tie up I can just let it drift off and spot lock it. It's easier than getting the ropes out! I've even used it to load my boat on the trailer. Just send it good and fast and make sure to stow at just the right time.

Do you have a Humminbird head unit networked with it? I got a Helix 9 without imaging just to map and control the motor. With the LakeVu and Coastmaster maps you can "Follow the contour" which I find incredible for trolling both fresh and salt.

I hate to admit a piece of equipment is responsible for me being a better fisherman, but this motor really is. I can troll and set downriggers instead of drive. I actually fish more because it's less work/stress. On the salt, I can fish deepwater groundfish using less weight, because the spotlock is so accurate. I can move a set up on a new spot easier, there is no throwing or setting an anchor, and with the Ulterra there isn't even leaving the helm. Yes, I'm a bit enamored with mine!

I haven't tried the solo launch because I fish with others. I have a Garmin fishfinder, but have seen the videos with the Humminbird units. The spot lock and auto pilot is all I've tried for now , but will attempt to set some waypoints and tracks during my camp stay. I can only imagine setting back and fishing while the trolling motor does all the work. I did use spot lock the other day waiting for the dock to clear and being checked by the warden when the wind was blowing pretty good.  My son and I sat on a spot for over 2 hours the other day when the wind was blowing pretty good... we never moved!

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Yup
Love mine

Can’t wait for the LiFePo2 battery to show up.

Jethro

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2021, 08:04 AM »
Yup
Love mine

Can’t wait for the LiFePo2 battery to show up.

I bought 3 more lead acids >:( I'll try not to abuse these ones and hopefully get more than 14 months of fishing.

swnoel

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I bought 3 more lead acids >:( I'll try not to abuse these ones and hopefully get more than 14 months of fishing.

They wouldn't work with you on those batteries?

cnypanfisher

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Maintain those batteries, every trip and over the winter or you will pay. 😉

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:34 AM »

I’ll have 3 series 31’s in a month or so if you coulda waited.

8)

Jethro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2021, 12:21 PM »
They wouldn't work with you on those batteries?

Nope. I got my $22 core deposit back, that's it. Interstate only warranties to 12 months on LA deep cycles. AGM is better, maybe 2 years.

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2021, 12:22 PM »

I’ll have 3 series 31’s in a month or so if you coulda waited.

8)

This and next month are kinda critical. I'll be putting some hours on the motor this coming weekend.

swnoel

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Nope. I got my $22 core deposit back, that's it. Interstate only warranties to 12 months on LA deep cycles. AGM is better, maybe 2 years.

That sucks!

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2021, 02:03 PM »
This and next month are kinda critical. I'll be putting some hours on the motor this coming weekend.

Let me know if you want them when I’m done with them.  I’ll meet you have way.
They won’t have crap for use on them and so far I’ve only drained them down to 1/2 before recharging.
If I had to guess they will only have about 20-25 charges on them.
They are Duracel LA, not AGM’s.
So they weren’t expensive.
Like only $100 each I think from Sam’s Club.
I’ll trade you them for a large bottle of Anejo or something.  I’m sure we can work out something.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.