FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit our sponsor Fish307.com

Author Topic: Oneida night fishing  (Read 1007 times)

yellowned

Oneida night fishing
« on: Jun 30, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Hello, I will be vacationing at oneida lake the last week of July. I am going to try night fishing one evening.
Was wondering whats your favorite night time lure to fish with. I was going to try 3 1/2 challenger stick bait or rapala f9.
Any info would be great.

reeleyz

Re: Oneida night fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:12 PM »
We used to use worms under lanterns in the deep sections of the lake when I was a kid. The lanterns seemed to bring the bait in.

At the end of July I would be casting sticks and bucktails over the weeds.

yellowned

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Any recommendations on stick bait size and color ?

reeleyz

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Any recommendations on stick bait size and color ?

Everybody has their favorites. I like large natural colored jerk baits like perch or black and silver.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2021, 07:17 PM »
We used to use worms under lanterns in the deep sections of the lake when I was a kid. The lanterns seemed to bring the bait in.
My grandfather took me out night fishing, he could get an extra 10 with me. He used black jigs with worms, 2 lanterns on Shepard's hooks. We got a lot of fish that way.

oneida1

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2021, 09:11 PM »
last week of july i would throw shad raps around weeds till its dark then tri deep with just a worm

yellowned

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:53 PM »
thanks for all your inputs

fishogger

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2021, 08:20 AM »
well i dont know what fish your after but most are better had with lights at night, like stated.  set up over deep water just off a deep weed bed or in a small bay like area.  get a submersible white LED lite and put it down 4ft.  most nights bait will gather within an hour, and so will the predators.  it can be so fast you cant run multiple rods because your missing bites.

if your wanting to cast for bass at night in shallows use a top water lure of your choice.  you will be amazed at how far and fast they rush that thing. makes for some exciting hits.  when that doesnt seem to be the ticket that night, i switch.  second choice is a tossup between colorado blade spinner, slow rolled, and an big blue/black plastic creature bait(carolina rigged). 
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

yellowned

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2021, 02:15 PM »
sorry I should have said night fishing for walleye. I was going to try stick baits
thanks again for all your info

fishogger

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2021, 09:34 PM »
around here my buddy tosses ranks while i toss "big crappie" safety pin spinners for eyes. they are bigger than beetle spin but smaller than bass spinnerbait.  they love the thump it gives off.  i also add glow plastic to it for a great visual trigger.  they about all i have used last couple years for night eyes.  they hold their own against the cranks from what we have seen.  not many guys tossing them either i dont think.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.