FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: post flood/storms  (Read 824 times)

fishogger

post flood/storms
« on: Jul 03, 2021, 09:34 AM »
maybe "post" wasnt the word as the water is very high still.  i had to load boat off the side of the ramp to keep my feet dry!  the water wasnt really stain bad just way up.  the bite started with a couple nice big gills.  thought it was going to be a slaughter again.  then when it got dark all hell broke loose.  unknown to us, they were having the lake fireworks last night.  it sounded like a war zone till midnight. lol  had to fish till 2 in order to limit.  they seemed to be affected by the noise.  the only trout we got were down by bottom.  other marks up high didnt want to hit. i also scored some Berkley trout paste the other day.  i been out since last season.  glad i did because those lines were the only ones to get bit!  there is no doubt it made the difference.  fewer crappie than other trips and no big ones.(probably spooked from fireworks)  the gills were big and out suspended finally.  i wait for that to start every year.  love pulling basin gills in mid summer. they are usually hogs caught out there.

and the "no bs fish story", proof shot.

had 15 gills in the box 8"+. couple 9.5-10" here.

some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

https://xyz.frankspeech.com/

taxid

Re: post flood/storms
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Those lakers really love their fireworks. I was on Pretty Lake years ago when Pretty was planted with trout. There were literally fireworks going off all the way around the lake. I couldn't stand it anymore and came in. The fish didn't seem to like it either.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Such healthy trout. It's odd they don't hold over for more than a year or two.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2021, 01:32 PM »
yes they seem very healthy as far as looks go.  the meat is red as can be and delicious.  having a fire and fish fry tonight and they are the guests of honor.

no other boats out there fishing either.  only one night did i see another fisherman out after dark.

back when we fished clear lake, we would watch fireworks shot off the island every year.  about 45 min after everything calmed down the bite was on! 

fishogger

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2021, 08:31 AM »
hit it again last night.  still a bunch of fireworks going on but only lasted till midnight.  accept for one guy that released a volley at 1am.  his neighbor lady started yelling compliments at him.  i bet you could hear her most of the way down the lake. lol  i also had a visitor in my boat last night.  a great blue heron landed on my front seat.  thats the second time thats happened night fishing.  i think he thought it was a swim raft. lol  told him to git but he must have been old and hard of hearing.  he didnt leave till i gently popped him on the head with my rod.  he flew to the swim raft 30ft away and squawked his disapproval. lol

last night crappie were dominant under the light.  caught a couple gills but mostly crappie up to 12" or so. most of the trout came on the trout paste again.  they just didnt ant anything moving too much.  i covered my jig in paste and set in rod holder.  they were hooking themselves while i was busy jigging crapys.  fish were spread top to bottom.  some of the crappie were even on the bottom in 28fow.  boats were all gone by midnight and i was peaceful again. lol  perfect weather no wind so i didnt even have to anchor up.  which is a big plus when your fish run and jump all around your boat like a out of control dolphin . lol

sorry no pics this time.  i just got up from my 4 hour knap and cleaned them.  already getting hot and muggy out there.  time to crawl in the cave for the day.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2021, 09:34 AM »
I have a new bird on my ponds in the last couple of days. A Green Heron (See photo). Probably run off the lakes by all the holiday boat activity and fireworks. Neat looking bird.

Photo is from the Ebird site.

https://ebird.org/species/grnher/L455897

fishogger

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2021, 01:59 PM »
that little guy could have stayed.  i didnt want a 4 ft bird with a needle beak hanging out in my boat.  i was lucky he didnt take a crap when he took off.  thats the first thing i looked for when he left. lol

rivereddy

« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Interesting bird encounters for all of you.  When I was a kid little green herons were comon and it was a
rare thrill to see a great blue heron.  Now, the great blues are all over the place and the greens are a
treat to see.  A couple of years ago during ice fishing season at Summit there were a couiple of thieving
great blues that would sneak up behind an ice fisherman staring at his vex and snatch a bluegill and
"easing" back to swallow it...

fish on,

rivereddy

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2021, 10:59 AM »
bite was way better last night.  took an old friend and equally addicted angler last night.  no sooner got the 4 lines down and one bent over.  it was a 10gill but who going to complain about that. lol  the screen was full when i pulled up on "the spot" at 10.  we had our limit of trout 30 min before midnight.  we then fished shallower for some chunky night gills.  they didnt disappoint either.  fish must have been hungry after the 4ths weekend noise.  fished till 2 and had a ball.  no storks in the boat this time.  one did fly over real close though.  made me wonder if it was same one.  ;D  nice and peaceful with no other boats out after dark.

he needs to learn to count fish tho.  he was short on the count when we divvied them up. 

ready for the brine.

stocking up for a smoked trout party soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.