FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FG Knot  (Read 674 times)

Piggyn

FG Knot
« on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Anyone ever use the FG knot?  It is supposed to be SUPER strong, and appears to work like a Chinese finger trap.

Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: FG Knot
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:45 PM »
No but I will try practicing a few and see how it goes…
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Same here looks interesting.  I've tried using the Albright knot to join braid
 to fluoro for years and never been overly impressed.

fish on,

rivereddy

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2021, 06:32 AM »
The alberto knot works great too.

iceman260

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2021, 06:49 AM »
Alberto knot works and is easier to tie.

fishogger

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2021, 08:15 AM »
had to look old alberto up. i dont really have a need to use these knots, i use swivels. too much line twist if you dont with spinning reels.

save those that dont know some time.  i like it.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alberto+knot&docid=608022671790140645&mid=7E1BFC3A513F50B027347E1BFC3A513F50B02734&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Piggyn

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Based on what I've read, the FG knot is stronger and has a lower profile, and also appears to be easy to tie in that video... although it does take a bunch of wraps!

I bluegill fish 90% of the time, so I usually just use a barrel swivel (solely to avoid line twist) to join braid and a short fluoro or mono leader by tying Palomar knots.  However, for cases where I'd want to cast a heavy weight a long distance (like surf fishing or maybe even a Lake Michigan pier), the FG knot seems like it would be great for tying on a shock leader.

natahka72

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:23 AM »
For those that use swivels for connecting a leader, is there a particular size, style, or brand that you prefer?  Thanks!

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:26 AM »
i could see the fg being stronger with the "weave style"  its tied in.  both seem easy enough to tie also. 

the one vid talked about the leader being bigger than the main line.  would that knot tie the same if the leader was thinner than the main line?  i wouldnt be tying thicker leader here in fresh water. 

fishogger

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:28 AM »
For those that use swivels for connecting a leader, is there a particular size, style, or brand that you prefer?  Thanks!

smallest size swivel i can get away with.  dictated by line strength.  i also fish situations where i need it to reel up threw the guides at times.  no real brand preference.  ball bearing if you wana spend the money.

natahka72

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:36 AM »
smallest size swivel i can get away with.  dictated by line strength.  i also fish situations where i need it to reel up threw the guides at times.  no real brand preference.  ball bearing if you wana spend the money.

Good info. Thank you!

fishinator

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Spro makes some really nice micro swivels

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2021, 11:27 AM »

Yes they do.
These are what I use on my steelhead rod to tie my flouro leader to the braid main line.

Piggyn

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:02 PM »
the one vid talked about the leader being bigger than the main line.  would that knot tie the same if the leader was thinner than the main line?  i wouldnt be tying thicker leader here in fresh water.

A shorter leader that's not being used for shock purposes wouldn't need to be long enough to make it onto your reel, so a swivel is all you'd ever need.

A heavier shock leader should be long enough that it gets a few wraps around your spool plus at least a rod's length (which means that the knot needs to be low profile so that it slips through your rod guides) is beneficial in a couple different situations:

1) You are fishing for big, fast fish that peel a lot of line of during runs in open water.  If your reel has a 25# max drag, then using significantly heavier line doesn't help you fight the fish.  If you use 50# line, then you still only have 25# pulling power due to the drag's limitation.  Using the heavier line only limits your line capacity... or forces you to use a larger reel, which is going to be heavier and more expensive.  When the fish tires in and is close enough that your shock leader has made a few wraps around the spool, then you can grab the heavy leader and pull the fish in to gaff.... and the lighter mainline is no longer a liability.

2) Surf fishing in rough conditions (when you need a heavier sinker to hold) or where long casts are required (which usually means a heavier sinker, especially if casting into the wind).  If you are surf fishing for pompano, you might only be using a 15-20# main line, which isn't heavy enough to really launch a 3+ oz sinker.  The lighter main line also allows you to cast further with less effort.

natahka72

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:24 PM »

Thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.