FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FG Knot  (Read 2313 times)

Piggyn

FG Knot
« on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Anyone ever use the FG knot?  It is supposed to be SUPER strong, and appears to work like a Chinese finger trap.

Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: FG Knot
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:45 PM »
No but I will try practicing a few and see how it goes…
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Same here looks interesting.  I've tried using the Albright knot to join braid
 to fluoro for years and never been overly impressed.

fish on,

rivereddy

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2021, 06:32 AM »
The alberto knot works great too.

iceman260

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2021, 06:49 AM »
Alberto knot works and is easier to tie.

Piggyn

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Based on what I've read, the FG knot is stronger and has a lower profile, and also appears to be easy to tie in that video... although it does take a bunch of wraps!

I bluegill fish 90% of the time, so I usually just use a barrel swivel (solely to avoid line twist) to join braid and a short fluoro or mono leader by tying Palomar knots.  However, for cases where I'd want to cast a heavy weight a long distance (like surf fishing or maybe even a Lake Michigan pier), the FG knot seems like it would be great for tying on a shock leader.

natahka72

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:23 AM »
For those that use swivels for connecting a leader, is there a particular size, style, or brand that you prefer?  Thanks!

natahka72

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2021, 09:36 AM »
smallest size swivel i can get away with.  dictated by line strength.  i also fish situations where i need it to reel up threw the guides at times.  no real brand preference.  ball bearing if you wana spend the money.

Good info. Thank you!

fishinator

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Spro makes some really nice micro swivels

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2021, 11:27 AM »

Yes they do.
These are what I use on my steelhead rod to tie my flouro leader to the braid main line.

Piggyn

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:02 PM »
the one vid talked about the leader being bigger than the main line.  would that knot tie the same if the leader was thinner than the main line?  i wouldnt be tying thicker leader here in fresh water.

A shorter leader that's not being used for shock purposes wouldn't need to be long enough to make it onto your reel, so a swivel is all you'd ever need.

A heavier shock leader should be long enough that it gets a few wraps around your spool plus at least a rod's length (which means that the knot needs to be low profile so that it slips through your rod guides) is beneficial in a couple different situations:

1) You are fishing for big, fast fish that peel a lot of line of during runs in open water.  If your reel has a 25# max drag, then using significantly heavier line doesn't help you fight the fish.  If you use 50# line, then you still only have 25# pulling power due to the drag's limitation.  Using the heavier line only limits your line capacity... or forces you to use a larger reel, which is going to be heavier and more expensive.  When the fish tires in and is close enough that your shock leader has made a few wraps around the spool, then you can grab the heavy leader and pull the fish in to gaff.... and the lighter mainline is no longer a liability.

2) Surf fishing in rough conditions (when you need a heavier sinker to hold) or where long casts are required (which usually means a heavier sinker, especially if casting into the wind).  If you are surf fishing for pompano, you might only be using a 15-20# main line, which isn't heavy enough to really launch a 3+ oz sinker.  The lighter main line also allows you to cast further with less effort.

natahka72

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:24 PM »

Thank you!

natahka72

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:24 PM »

Yes they do.
These are what I use on my steelhead rod to tie my flouro leader to the braid main line.

Thank you!

PikeKing23

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2021, 05:06 PM »
When I don't use a swivel, I use the uni to uni. Easy and works for me. Hasn't failed yet.

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2021, 05:34 PM »
 I also use a double uni for jigging and casting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.