FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Getting close  (Read 1565 times)

Doubles Shooter

Getting close
« on: Aug 02, 2021, 01:58 PM »
Almost ready to go fishing. I had a few false starts this spring with some minor mechanical issues with the motor and water in the fuel. I got them sorted out just in time to go in for some unplanned open heart surgery.
It's been two months now and my nurse wife warden has released me. I had a Humminbird 798 with side scan that quit on me early last year. I bought a Helix 7 to replace it. When I was installing the Helix, just for grins and giggles I plugged the power cord into the 798. The darn thing powered up. I don't know why it didn't work before. I had power to the pins in the base, but no go. I bought a new power cord for it because even though the old cord showed 12 volts, it wouldn't work. I didn't dare tell the wife it was working after listening to her complain about spending money on another unit.
Well, today I reinstalled the 798 because I like the side scan. The down imaging is much better on the Helix, so I'll use both. Don't know how they will play together, but I can run one or the other as needed.
I also put new line on the planet board mast and I'm getting ready to paint the boards. Hopefully, I'll be on the water in a couple days.

taxid

Re: Getting close
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Almost ready to go fishing. I had a few false starts this spring with some minor mechanical issues with the motor and water in the fuel. I got them sorted out just in time to go in for some unplanned open heart surgery.
It's been two months now and my nurse wife warden has released me. I had a Humminbird 798 with side scan that quit on me early last year. I bought a Helix 7 to replace it. When I was installing the Helix, just for grins and giggles I plugged the power cord into the 798. The darn thing powered up. I don't know why it didn't work before. I had power to the pins in the base, but no go. I bought a new power cord for it because even though the old cord showed 12 volts, it wouldn't work. I didn't care tell the wife it was working after listening to her complain about spending money on another unit.
Well, today I reinstalled the 798 because I like the side scan. The down imaging is much better on the Helix, so I'll use both. Don't know how they will play together, but I can run one or the other as needed.
I also put new line on the planet board mast and I'm getting ready to paint the boards. Hopefully, I'll be on the water in a couple days.

Glad to hear you have the release to have some fun. Open heart surgery can be scary but it seems almost routine anymore.

Keep us posted on how the units work together and how successful you are!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2021, 05:59 AM »
Glad you are "back" into the game. I have the Helix 7 on my boat, really like it. Don't have the SI or DI, had it on my 798 and never used it. Good Luck on the water....h2l

iceman260

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2021, 07:13 AM »
Glad your good to go, I have the helix 7 si and GPS, love it so far still playing with settings. The images ore nice.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:35 AM »
I have the Helix 7 DI and feel overwhelmed with it at times. Too many bells and whistles for me. I just want to mark fish and move the d**n curser!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2021, 11:53 AM »
YouTube

Lots of instructional videos.

We actually go to YouTube when we are on the boat out in the lake and want to do something specific that we forgot how to do.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2021, 06:33 PM »
YouTube has saved me a bunch of money and trouble over the years on repairs to my stuff. Most of my things are like me, old and used, but not used up. As Mac says, you can learn a lot about the sonar.
While getting the boat ready, I noticed my home made planer boards were showing their age so I made a new pair.today. Got a coat of paint on them and hope to lay another on in the morning. I love trolling for pike and walleye and use the boards a lot. Hopefully, I'll be on the water Friday or Saturday morning.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2021, 06:23 PM »
It finally happened today. Made it to the lake after several false starts. My wife and I hit Silver lake this morning. My wife caught her first ever walleye. A 19 and 16". I got a 19" small mouth. We were using ultralight rigs looking for pan fish.
The best part is my old Humminbird 798 played well with the new Helix 7. No interference at all. The old boat ran great too.
I showed her I can go out by myself if I want to. The cardiologist said let my body be my guide. The wife wasn't sure but now I've got clearance to go. d**n bypass surgery screwed things up for a while.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2021, 06:31 PM »
Good job!

gotagetm

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2021, 06:39 PM »
That's great!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Way to go DS..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:57 AM »

Well done 👍

iceman260

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Good job DS, glad you feel good.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2021, 05:36 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the thoughts everyone. It was great to be out on the lake. Much more to come hopefully. Bob.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Glad to read you are feeling good looks like a great day on the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.