FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Finally got the Terrova mounted to the boat after two years!  (Read 4886 times)

fishinator

Re: Finally got the Terrova mounted to the boat after two years!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2021, 10:35 AM »
Odd.  Ive had a few of these units on a couple different boats never had that issue.
I think my problem was a lightweight boat with waaaay to much motor. I had it off to the right and it would always kick the back to the right at higher speeds. Kind of dog walked

iceman260

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2021, 07:52 AM »
The terrova is really a game changer, the cruise control, autopilot,spot lock and pilot were game changers for me. You will love it once you get used to it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2021, 06:55 PM »
....if a guy thinks he is going to set out from a brush pile and cast into it and pull fish after fish he hasnt tried it. lol  i see the floats(another thing that doesnt play well in wood!) of the learning every time out. ;D

Im the guy.  I have tried it, successfully for crappies and smallmouth and sometimes only a few feet from shore.  One of the lakes I fish absolutely requires it because most of the banks drop into 50 fow really quickly. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I do the same as you but its not worth arguing over...I could post a quick video of doing it but who cares.  Fish and let fish..you can be "right"....I will mention for the open minded folks here that you can run the head 1.5ft under water and at most spot lock speeds not cavitate nor chop a pile but what do I know....I mean watching the crappie react on livescope doesnt tell me anything....like I said if it feels good to be right, you can be right....

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2021, 02:25 PM »
 :w00t:

mcully

« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2021, 06:19 AM »
I watch those crappie tourneys on TV and they just use 13' rods and electric motors all day in skinny water. that livescope is crazy to watch too!
I'm continually amazed at how dumb crappie can be on TV but never for me in real life.
I can say dropshotting for lakers in 150' of water they never knew what hit them. GAME CHANGER

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2021, 02:37 PM »
When I was a kid ESPN outdoors (early 90's) had those on all the time.

Ive seen those lakers do mysterious things with that unit and now Ill be watching blackfish soon!

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2021, 02:40 PM »
:w00t:

Relevant to the thread did, what size shaft did you get for your minnkota?  I need a 87 for my 23'.  I have a 60" on my 19' stratos...Id pay a finders fee for one in stock of the 36v varity.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2021, 05:54 PM »
ive been here already.  its called full grown man in the nose of small boat.(not motor) the nose heavy stance of the hull in the water causes the erratic tracking.  i had one clamped on the nose of a12'er and it did same thing.

Come on Tim you're more than a full grown man!  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2021, 10:17 PM »
lol i dont have to be rite im just stating the facts.  that trolling motor doesnt know not to chop cover i do.  thats all it boils down to man.  and in muddy water even i cant see them all.  im sure if you were fishing the stuff i am you would agree man.  no need for ruffled feathers.

tried the long rods and snagged too much. tried light jigs and snagged too much.(not enough feel)  tried lots of things over the years but none as good as vertical jig deep in cover.  the stain helps get away with it when they hold 4ft under the boat.

I dont think a discussion is ruffled feathers at all.  If I get time ill post my facts with a short video.  I get what you are saying but every old dog can learn new tricks.  Look even Cecil is getting down with the spot lock! 

Now to be clear Im not suggesting at all that what you are doing doesnt work.  I know it does its how I did it when I was younger and only had a canoe to mess with. 

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Oct 02, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Tim (Fish Hogger) gets right on top of the brush and fishes right over he side. I caught a 16 inch crappie with him like that.

Tim have you ever marked fish in the middle of the river in a channel or slot? Seems like the Spotlock would be handy there vs dropping an anchor?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2021, 04:58 PM »
yes Cecil sometime in 0ctober they will school up on the channel edges.  then the almighty spotloc could help. lol  if they were deep enough.  thats only 6-8weeks and i mostly deer hunt that time frame. never said it had no purpose just not one id use much.  and definitely not in heavy cover the prop would contact. lol

I've had my best fishing during bow season. Also not many other anglers out.  Clear lake bluegill monsters after Clear Lake turns over in October!

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Oct 06, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Cecil has been in my boat and seen how i get on top of all the trash, in current. anyone with any fishing knowledge knows better than to try. ill say again, a prop would just chew cover and spook the fish.  thats not my opinion like i said its fact from 40yrs of doing it.  most times i just hold on to some of the limbs sticking out of the water. if your not stealthy the big ones will move off or just clam up.  i dont even run my troller deep in the cover at all if i can help it.  i sure wouldn't let one run constantly.  its just a different kind of fishing than you do thats all. hell i rarly see anyone fishing the way i do around here.  most are too afraid of scratching their 50thousand dollar boats to get in where they need to.  its just not a tool i could use the way i fish 75% of the time.

haha this old dog need not even try because he know what the results would be.  no new tricks to learn from some trolling motor here. lol  my pics always speak for themselves.

glad your not ruffled but it sounded that way.  everyone has opinions and its good to argue sometimes.  but on this site the conversations just get removed like they are teachers and we are the kids. lol  censorship has no place in adult conversations. its the tool of the weak minded. ;D

Amen to the last sentence.

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Well yesterday I paired and calibrated the heading sensor to the Terrova. At least I calibrated. The calibration went well with progress shown on the remote sensor after two circles, but I could bearly hear a tone when I did the pairing before that. (in fact tone was so faint I wasn't even sure if I wasn't hearing things.) When I allegedly paired the sensor with the Terrova, I didn't see the led flashing red on the heading sensor unit like one You tube video said would happen. Maybe that was an older model as my manual doesn't mention red flashing lights? (I have the bluetooth compatible Terrova unit made after 2017).

Will calibration still work without pairing or is the fact that the remote indicated successful calibration show the pairing worked? I seem to remember the Terrova will work w/o the heading sensor unit but not as well when it comes to Spotlock and Autopilot?

I need to take the boat out again and study the LED light pattern on the heading sensor unit I guess to be sure. And of course try out the Spotlock and Autopilot. Was crunched for time yesterday.

Keep in mind I am too old for technology to be second nature. I think the term a much younger friend that works with technology every day used for people like me is "techtard." Heck I'm still learning all the bells and whistles on my Helix unit!  Still trying to figure out how to move the depth curser up and down to mark a downrigger ball or fish!

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2021, 10:20 AM »
The heading sensor is only a simple electronic compass and it only does two things.

If you pair your unit with a Hmingbird it will help show N, W, S, E location relative of your boat on the screen.

And also, and more important, it allows the Spot Loc Jog feature to be enabled on your ipilot.

It does not make Spot Loc or Autopilot more accurate.  Those two things, and other ipilot features, use the GPS in the head of the trolling motor.  A compass only indicates direction.  A GPS does the same but also indicates location and speed.  (Also elevation on some GPS units).  A GPS is far more accurate than any compass could be because it triangulates and calculates using multiple satellites whereas a compass basically uses one reference source - magnetic north.

Hope this helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.