FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: line question  (Read 3398 times)

tsmith17

• A day of bad fishing is still a good day.
Re: line question
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Go with 6# mono, should be light enough for pannies and have enough for big bass. I have 6 on my ultralight, works just fine for me.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:34 AM »
4# Fireline.  Just look at your reel's spool capacity.

:thumbup_smilie:

Sorry Bob there is no basic thumbs up without the crazy smile.  But your reccomendation is perfect.

If you want to go heavier on a UL then you don't belong using an UL. Thats what drag is for. :)

Go with 6# mono, should be light enough for pannies and have enough for big bass. I have 6 on my ultralight, works just fine for me.

I would ask what you cast with #6?  I have a lot of stuff thats a pain to cast with #4 let alone 6.

slipperybob

« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:00 AM »
How come you have braid higher then fireline? They are relatively the same diameter and strength. I personally would stay away from fireline fused lines, fireline braid is OK but power pro braid is the best IMO.

I recently switched to silver thread line, I love their fluoro and would highly suggest giving that a try.

Braid is smaller diameter than Fireline.  Example Fireline Braid 15/4 compared to Fireline Original 10/4.   Fireline usually has a ridiculous high break strength and knot strength that surpases braid.  It's far easier to break a braid line on a hook set than on Fireline.  I've broken plenty of 30# braid and almost never on 14# Fireline in the early days.  Had to ease up on the hook set to a pull.  These superlines have relatively low shock resistance to basically no shock resistance.

I'm a silverthread user, but haven't tried their flouro line yet.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

slipperybob

« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:11 AM »
:thumbup_smilie:

Sorry Bob there is no basic thumbs up without the crazy smile.  But your reccomendation is perfect.

If you want to go heavier on a UL then you don't belong using an UL. Thats what drag is for. :)

I would ask what you cast with #6?  I have a lot of stuff thats a pain to cast with #4 let alone 6.

Shimano 1000 reels are actually what I would consider an UL.  I consider those L.  I normally use 6# with slipbobbers even for pannies.  I hate having line damage on bobbeer throughout the day.  Straight lures, 1-4 lbs lines.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.