FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Took Laine to the 3rd  (Read 2181 times)

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
Took Laine to the 3rd
« on: Jul 07, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Took Laine and her brother to 3rd the other night.  We set up and before I could get all the rods out, we picked off 2 lakers.  One came 35' down on the riggers and the other came 6 colors back. 

These were the only two fish we caught for the night. However, we did have fun chasing shoes and everything else that could float! Laine's daughter thought it was cute to throw stuff over! Everything was recovered!

On a side note: I have never seen so many people in Pittsburg on a holiday weekend in years!  It took us almost an hour to travel from Big Brook Bog to my camp because the tourist could not read the signs "no stopping in roadway" or they just refused to pull over and let people by.

Laine's daughter as I was loading the boat

Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

knurren

• What of it?!
Re: Took Laine to the 3rd
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2008, 08:57 AM »
On a side note: I have never seen so many people in Pittsburg on a holiday weekend in years!  It took us almost an hour to travel from Big Brook Bog to my camp because the tourist could not read the signs "no stopping in roadway" or they just refused to pull over and let people by.

That's the reason I don't travel up there anymore on holiday weekends.  It can still be bad even on a regular weekend.  It seems more like they just don't care. I guess they figured everyone on the roads at night must be looking for moose too.  But if you think that is bad, you should have seen Rt. 93 S at about 4pm yesterday.  Bumper to bumper Massachusetts plates made me happy I was heading north.

Looks like more fun on the 3rd.  Think you'll bring them out on winnie or Lake Francis this summer?  Lake Francis looks like another nice lake to troll.
Live free or die trying.

Duck Doctor

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Looks like more fun on the 3rd.  Think you'll bring them out on winnie or Lake Francis this summer?  Lake Francis looks like another nice lake to troll.

We might hit Francis tomorrow evening.  Laine likes the 3rd so I go there. Winni will be out until next spring. I like to stay out of the crowds.
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

Laine

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2008, 09:24 AM »
We might hit Francis tomorrow evening.  Laine likes the 3rd so I go there.
Hey, you know I'd go ANYWHERE you wanted to go!  Don't do anything you don't want to for me!

Duck Doctor

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Hey, you know I'd go ANYWHERE you wanted to go!  Don't do anything you don't want to for me!

I have not done ANYTHING for you that I did not want to.........Just remember that when you look at the Browning BPS Upland Special 20ga I bought you for your birthday!

Laine

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I have not done ANYTHING for you that I did not want to.........Just remember that when you look at the Browning BPS Upland Special 20ga I bought you for your birthday!
Look at it!?!?  I've been sleeping with it!!  j/k  But I have admired it several hundred times over the last 24 hours. 

CSpike

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Winni will be out until next spring. I like to stay out of the crowds.

DD Winni has been very very quite, at least up until last weekend. We hit Winnisquam this weekend. I think the fuel prices are keeping most of the people off the water. I'm sure the big holidays like this past weekend brought out larger crowds but up intil that is has been few and far between. Just my first hand observations.

Spike

Duck Doctor

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Gas prices are killing me know also! It costs me over $80 to fill my jeep now and that would be one trip to Winni and back.  I need to figure out the northern lakes though. I am hoping to find some lakers on the bottom and anchor over them. 

CSpike

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Gas prices are killing me know also! It costs me over $80 to fill my jeep now and that would be one trip to Winni and back.  I need to figure out the northern lakes though. I am hoping to find some lakers on the bottom and anchor over them. 

Try Yanking them. A buddy showed us how this year and it works! We use lead core line ( I have 10 colors he uses a 12 color set up). What you do is troll .8 mph. Let out the lead core line with a short (6-8') 20lb leader and a sutton spoon. The thin ones like the #61 hammered. You want the light spoon so if flutters. Anyway you pay out line, we have been fishing 50- 70' of water right now, figure on ten feet down for every color ( aprox.). As you let out the line yank the lure up and let it down then yank again When you reach the bottom you will feel a thump in the line when you yank it up. This takes some feel to know your not to deep or too shallow. I have also read thet 5-10' off bottom is ok too, but we go right down on it.
        Anyway you troll along yanking the line continuosly, don't pause at all. As the bottom comes up you take line in to prevent hooking bottom, as it dropps you lay line out. I have found the best way to do this is set the rod in a verticle holder, free spool and clicker on. Payout the line until you are on bottom and while holding the line that goes to the rod tip in one hand you hold the line going into the water in the other hand and yank with that. Sometimes the lead line will wrap around the rod making it a hassle when you hook up and try to reel in the fish. You have to straighten out the rod first, but it does work.

One key I noticed fishing like this is you do have to be moving .8 mph any slower and we have had no luck, faster and we can't hold bottom.
Give it a try and let me know how you make out. Maybe we can start Team Yankers! LOL

Spike

Duck Doctor

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Spike.....we might have to hook up sometime this summer so you can show me your yanking technique so I don't look like a rookie yanker out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.