FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stripers on the Fly?  (Read 1457 times)

adrock

Stripers on the Fly?
« on: Jul 07, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Any of you guys have any experience with stripers on the fly?  It is totally new to me but it is something I would like to get into.  I realize at this time of year most of the larger fish have probably dropped back, but are there any schoolies around in the tidal back waters?  Any suggestions as to where to try?  Fly patterns?  Would like to maybe find a place to fish from the personal pontoon boat or a canoe even.  Any info is appreciated and would greatly increase my knowledge since I know 0 about it at this point.  Seems like it would be fun though.  Thanks!

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
Re: Stripers on the Fly?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2008, 10:29 AM »
When I first got into stripers on the fly, I did a ton of reading. I also have a friend that is pretty much an expert about this subject. He has written articles for "Global Flyfisher" and other magazines. I bought my set up with his advise.

I bought a 9' Temple Fork Outfitters Series 1 8wt rod. ($100.00 and have the same warranty as the Orvis)
I matched the rod with a Teton Tioga #8 fly reel. ($150.00 plus $75 for extra spool.)

There are two lines you want at all times. One line is an Intermediate line and the other is a Sink Tip line. (I think mine is a 450gr or 500gr weight)

For flies....you can't go wrong with Chart/white flies. Be sure to have this color in different sizes and patters. I.E. Clouser Minows and Deceivers.  I have some small tinker mackeral patters that worked great too.  If you fly fish fresh water, you will be hooked on fly fishing the salt!
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

CSpike

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Any of you guys have any experience with stripers on the fly?  It is totally new to me but it is something I would like to get into.  I realize at this time of year most of the larger fish have probably dropped back, but are there any schoolies around in the tidal back waters?  Any suggestions as to where to try?  Fly patterns?  Would like to maybe find a place to fish from the personal pontoon boat or a canoe even.  Any info is appreciated and would greatly increase my knowledge since I know 0 about it at this point.  Seems like it would be fun though.  Thanks!

Other than what DD said... 8w or 7wt will be fine for schoolies. can't go wrong with a clouser, match the size to the bait that is in the river at that time though most anysize will get bit at anytime. All estuarys will hold schoolies. Pick on that you feel comfortable fishing out of in your selected vessel. IE: don't go in the merrimac in a canoe, you'd just be asking for trouble.
As far as retrieve fast is better. Stripers like the bait moved fast 90% of the time. They are easy to find just look for diving bords. Bass are sure to be below them.

Spike

adrock

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Thanks DD.  I have a sage FLI in a 9 ft 7wt, w/a Sage 7/8 1800 series reel that i bought for steelhead.  I email sage and they said all the components on this should be a-okay for salt use.  I will likely pick up a couple spools to line w/your suggestions.  I have no doubt i will be hooked, just one more obsession to add to the list!

adrock

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Thanks Spike!  I certainly won't head out on the Merrimack in a canoe, I was thinking more something more along the lines of Great Bay, I know people fish out of kayaks out there.  There was a recent article in Hawkeye that had some reccomended inshore spots so May start poking around in there.  Thanks again guys.

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:40 AM »
This may sound funny but I am very religious about cleaning my rods after being in the salt. I tear down every reel and strip the line off the spool. I soak the spool, line, and reel housing in the sink over night. Once the reel and line is in the sink, then bring the rod into the shower with me where I wash the entire rod and eyes with shampoo. My TFO 8wt (i own a few TFO rods now) still looks like it did the very day I bought it.  I have seen expensive rods turn to crap because the owner did not take care of it.

A trick I did with my rod is I stood it on the floor and measured up 28". I then pained a small yellow ring on the rod to use as a measuring tool.  I put the nose of the fish at the mark and when the tail goes past the end of the rod, it is a keeper!
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

adrock

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:57 AM »
I will definatly be dilagent about cleaning everything after the salt use.  I spend to much of my hard earned $$$ on this stuff to not take care of it.  Good trick for the measure, I may put that to use.  Don't keep many fresh water fish, the ocassional brookie or salmon if it is hooked deep and isn't going to make it.  However, I would have no problem keeping some stripers for the grill!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.