FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Today's Trip  (Read 2794 times)

knurren

• What of it?!
Today's Trip
« on: Jul 12, 2008, 03:21 PM »
I'll keep it pretty simple.  I woke up at 4 this morning and went up to Turtle Pond in Concord.  First cast with a Pop-R got the largest bass of the day.  Roughly 2lbs and more when he buried himself in the milfoil.

Sunrise.

Turtle Pond is nice, but after about 7am, I started catching everything except bass.  I caught a very large sunfish followed by this 12" crappie.  I was surprised to see the crappie take a spinnerbait.  He was in about 3 fow chasing baitfish through the milfoil.

I did try wacky rigging a senko as was suggest, but Turtle Pond wasn't working with me.  Not much deep lily pad cover and what cover was there was filled with milfoil.  So I decided to try Hot Hole Pond.

One of the first bass of several.  I caught a lot of them this size (about 15 bass).  They were all shallow and weren't really in any cover.

I was throwing a 3" senko wacky rigged on my Ultralite to make it fun.

It was fun pulling in this fish.  About a pound and a half but lots of fun on the UL.

Another small one...

I'll have to find and explore some places that have potential to hold bigger fish.  Thanks everyone who gave me idea... those senkos kick ass, especially wacky rigged.

...Oh yeah, and my dog when I got home...

Live free or die trying.

Chiefbush

Re: Today's Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Man you dog looks upset!!!!!
Retired Chief, United States Navy

pete_fish

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2008, 09:31 PM »
is that a neuclear runoff pond?

cdc

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2008, 07:05 AM »
Congtars on your outing Knurren.
 That pond looks like the pond down over the hill off of 393.
To fish wacky style senko's you need to put a O ring in the middle or a rubber band..Then take your hook and go under the band and leave the hook exposed..You'll save alot more worms this way..
Plus....I would go with bigger hooks...Bass have big mouths...

CSpike

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Knurren did you try any of those spider eggs for bait, lol. I usually wash them out of the jon boat before I go fishing. I can't stand the buggers crawling all over when I'm trying to fish.
Use the o-rings as suggested or you'll go broke  buying senkos. Also try using bigger ones 5 and 6". I like the black and blue best.

Spike

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2008, 02:02 PM »
good work guy..........you will find that largemouth do not need the wacky style as much as the smallies do.......do not be afraid to rig it regular style and you will find it comes through the vegetation a lot better.......i would use the next size up on those senko's and do not worry about color.........even though you can never lose with green pumpkin and black flake..........as for the o rings i do suggest them......however, a smallie will rip them in half anyways, but spike was right you can go through some bags of senko's in a hurry if you are on the bass.........good luck.........oh yeh!.........look for milfoil.......it can be your best friend..........peg a plastic lure texas style and drop it in the openings of the stuff.........you will be surprised on what's hiding in there.......it makes great cover.........you can peg a weight with toothpicks or they sell special rubber strips that will hold your sinker in place.......you can use a lizard, tube, or craw for a plastic........i perfer a craw, but what ever plastic you have confidence in is the key......
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Hey Knurren, Good job with the fish ;)
Glad to see your getting some use outta the john boat :)

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2008, 05:26 AM »
Knurren did you try any of those spider eggs for bait, lol. I usually wash them out of the jon boat before I go fishing. I can't stand the buggers crawling all over when I'm trying to fish.
Use the o-rings as suggested or you'll go broke  buying senkos. Also try using bigger ones 5 and 6". I like the black and blue best.

Spike

I'll have to try that  o-ring trick.  I went through 7 of them  :-\  I'll get bigger hooks at the same time.  I wonder if those tiny rubber bands they use for braces will work.

All that crap is foam from under the seats.  Some mice got into the seats.  I just haven't had a chance to wash it out yet.  I did clean out the 3 dead baby mice I found  >:( I'm going to use clear silicone or the expanding foam to seal up the holes so no more critters get in.

Jibbs, you may or may not read this depending on when you get back to Winnie.  I did get some tubes and some crawfish baits.  Same manufacturer as the senkos.  I do also have 5" blue purple senkos.  I'll  try texas style this weekend.  I have regular offset bass hooks, I just didn't spend much time  weedless rigging them.

I might try to find some smallmouth this weekend.  I know winnie is a go to place.  Anyone have suggestions as to where on winnie.  I heard something about Governors island a long time ago.

Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words.  Let's see what I can get done next weekend as I quest for a bass >3lbs.
Live free or die trying.

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2008, 08:07 AM »
Man you dog looks upset!!!!!

I'll second that!  Man, that look reminds me of a woman I once knew!
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2008, 08:16 AM »
I'll second that!  Man, that look reminds me of a woman I once knew!

i can third that!!! :o :laugh:

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

knight rider

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I would have cleaned out those spider eggs, like Spike said. nasty

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Not spider eggs...

All that crap is foam from under the seats.  Some mice got into the seats.  I just haven't had a chance to wash it out yet.  I did clean out the 3 dead baby mice I found  >:( I'm going to use clear silicone or the expanding foam to seal up the holes so no more critters get in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.