FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New NHF&G Video-- RELEASING SALMON!!  (Read 32639 times)

dickbaker

New NHF&G Video-- RELEASING SALMON!!
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:45 PM »
 ??? ???  Brand new Winnipesaukee video created by Don Miller and John Viar to promote careful harvst and release in order to decrease hook wounding and increase fish longevity and weight!!    If you fish for salmon you have to watch this video.

Go to "Salmon Anglers Pledge"  at Youtube.    And you will find archived video. 

Dick

Dispy

"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
Re: New NHF&G Video-- RELEASING SALMON!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Good Reminder for Salmon/Trout Anglers, Thanks DB.

dickbaker

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2013, 07:38 AM »

fly guy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2013, 06:43 AM »
great stuff there. salmon are a precious resource we can all help protect

Superglide1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Definitely a must watch vid! Quite an eye opener.  :flag:
WICKED CRAPPIE!

DT5150

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2013, 12:40 PM »
yup, good stuff. i also pinch the barbs down on all my hooks just so they're easier to remove and don't tear up the fish as bad. i'm sure i lose a few fish because of it, but that's ok.

waterwolf603

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2013, 12:47 PM »
dont get me wrong i enjoy salmon and trout fishing and release probably 98% of the fish I catch in fresh water BUT i think it is time that NH invests in some other species that would thrive here and give a great chance at a trophy fishery. This is a great thread to promote proper catch and release tho so good post... just my 2 cents
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

dickbaker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2013, 02:08 PM »
dont get me wrong i enjoy salmon and trout fishing and release probably 98% of the fish I catch in fresh water BUT i think it is time that NH invests in some other species that would thrive here and give a great chance at a trophy fishery. This is a great thread to promote proper catch and release tho so good post... just my 2 cents

??? ???  Have any idea Wolf?  ???     I have a friend who want to go with brook trout instead of rainbows in the Big Lake?? ::)   
But!  Any other species as exciting and catchable as landlocked salmon would soon face the same problem!!   They would be fished so heavily that they would never make "trophy" size!   

It would make for a good discussion!!

Dick

waterwolf603

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2013, 02:23 PM »
??? ???  Have any idea Wolf?  ???     I have a friend who want to go with brook trout instead of rainbows in the Big Lake?? ::)   
But!  Any other species as exciting and catchable as landlocked salmon would soon face the same problem!!   They would be fished so heavily that they would never make "trophy" size!   

It would make for a good discussion!!

Dick

i never understood why we have never gave the same effort into walleye and northern pike fisheries as we have the broodstock salmon and the landlocks. I feel as they are a heartier species and may even naturally reproduce? I know in some bodies of water they have stocked them in the past but not in the same efforts and numbers as the salmon. just a thought though i enjoy catching most species of fish and maybe im jaded as i love cathin eyes and pike

dickbaker

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2013, 03:34 PM »
i never understood why we have never gave the same effort into walleye and northern pike fisheries as we have the broodstock salmon and the landlocks. I feel as they are a heartier species and may even naturally reproduce? I know in some bodies of water they have stocked them in the past but not in the same efforts and numbers as the salmon. just a thought though i enjoy catching most species of fish and maybe im jaded as i love cathin eyes and pike

Wolf!   I think its because we are in a minority when it comes to liking walleye and northern pike!!    The same could be true of  Crappie and Bluegill fishermen!!    Now!  Maybe if John Viar and Don Miller were in charge of the Connecticut River fishery they would make it a super place to fish too!

Dick

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2013, 04:57 PM »

I too would love to see some more effort put into Walleye and Pike... something that stands a much better chance of sustaining itself once established seams like the intelligent choice to me.

dickbaker

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2013, 06:48 AM »
 ??? ???  It sure would be great if there was a joint effort by both States to improve the walleye and pike fishery!!   It would really great if they could inject some walleye in the section downriver from the Ryegate dam!!   A simple slot limit just doesn't seem to be enough to increase the number of walleye.
Dick

JIGGIN

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Nice vid! Thanks for posting. Hook wound is no joke. My wife and I release ~ 98% of the salmon we catch and a good reminder of how to release them. Rubber net helps a lot.

Funny too watching the video, saw my son-in-law on the back of the truck getting the net putting them into the tanks. Did a quick double take.
Go Go Get Em!

waterwolf603

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2013, 05:51 AM »
??? ???  It sure would be great if there was a joint effort by both States to improve the walleye and pike fishery!!   It would really great if they could inject some walleye in the section downriver from the Ryegate dam!!   A simple slot limit just doesn't seem to be enough to increase the number of walleye.
Dick

well said, maybe some day but who knows

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.