FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Motor  (Read 8445 times)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Re: Trolling Motor
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2017, 01:19 PM »
I fished for many years with a bow mount Motorguide with no issues. I have a Minnkota iPilot now and it works great too. You cannot beat the anchor lock.

I actually miss the foot control sometimes. I used to do a lot of bass fishing and the foot control makes it nice to work a shoreline handsfree. Even working a dropoff jigging for eyes seemed easier with the foot control.

Just my .02

For the right application the motor I have would work great as you stated. It's meant to be a positioning unit, not an unmanned trolling unit like the terrovas. Depends on what you want to do, style of fishing. FW-FB 46# 12V half price! Low hours!

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:28 PM »
In my book there is not a question which is better!
Minn kota with pilot hands down.. I'd will never buy another motorguide... spend the extra and go a 55lb thrust with a 24volt system.. more money for motor and for batteries, but will last you an entire day with no problems in the harshest conditions..

I agree with all of this, especially the 24VDC higher thrust setup.

I have the Terrova 80# w/ipilot on my Lund 1650 Rebel XL.
Love it.
Even added a second set of batteries for 2X the life while out.

One more tip - you can never have too much thrust.
Get the most you can afford and turn it down to a lower setting.
The batteries will last longer and you will then have enough to fight wind, current and waves.

Good luck.
Mac

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2017, 03:19 PM »
What length shaft for that Rebel Mac?

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2017, 03:34 PM »
What length shaft for that Rebel Mac?

60"

My pal has a 1850 Polar Kraft Kodiak and the 60" on his is a little bit too short IMHO.
It pops out in waves over 2-3' occasionally.

Mine stays in the water all the time.  Of course I have 4 large deep cycle batteries up there too.

;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2017, 04:47 PM »

60"

My pal has a 1850 Polar Kraft Kodiak and the 60" on his is a little bit too short IMHO.
It pops out in waves over 2-3' occasionally.

Mine stays in the water all the time.  Of course I have 4 large deep cycle batteries up there too.

;D

Mac you ought to check out some of the deep cycle agms out there for solar storage.  I am quite certain you could go to 2 batteries with equal amp hours to your 4 and save some weight.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087FBT3M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496785719&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=trolling+motor+battery+vmax&dpPl=1&dpID=51b4eD2DU%2BL&ref=plSrch

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I am going to have to get one for the new boat. Just want to fish out of it some before I decide on bow or transom. But it will be a Minn Kota. Never used the electric on my old boat. Had 8hp 4s kicker on my old boat..h2l

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Always easier to pull than push with an outboard on a boat.  And control on a bow mount is 1000X better than a transom mount.

FYI

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Jun 06, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Mac you ought to check out some of the deep cycle agms out there for solar storage.  I am quite certain you could go to 2 batteries with equal amp hours to your 4 and save some weight.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087FBT3M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496785719&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=trolling+motor+battery+vmax&dpPl=1&dpID=51b4eD2DU%2BL&ref=plSrch

I really appreciate your help on this
I'm going to sell the Lund in 3-4 yrs but will then be buying a couple pontoons.
So this info will be helpful

Again, thanks

Mac

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2017, 06:59 PM »
I really appreciate your help on this
I'm going to sell the Lund in 3-4 yrs but will then be buying a couple pontoons.
So this info will be helpful

Again, thanks

Mac

The pontoon will probably perform better than a rig with 4 banks in the bow!   :D

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2017, 07:16 PM »
The pontoon will probably perform better than a rig with 4 banks in the bow!   :D

smarta$$   :D

Especially since it won't be used on the great lakes.

Lot calmer water.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Have to have a sense of humor.  Some of those pontoons have outboards I lust after!  

Im installing the riptide tomorrow sans battery.  Ill get the quick release bolted on and install and wire the plug.  For what its worth Mac that same company makes some agms much larger than 27's. Also curious about what your total reserve and or amp hours is with the 4 you run?    

saltr

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Lots of great info guys. I really do appreciate the comments. Keep them coming. Thanks-saltr.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:06 AM »
Right now I am leaning toward bow mount, something with I-Pilot, follow the contour, spot-lock, etc.....I spend very little time fishing from the front of the boat. Backtroll a lot, drift a lot. I think I forward trolled about 2 hours all last season....h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:50 AM »
H2L , they are great units , Mine is a much older model , I also run group 31 batteries

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:27 AM »
I just upgraded from a minn kota 45lb to a 55lb on my 16 ft smokercraft just a thought better to have to much than not enough (strong winds would really make it struggle because it sits so high in the water. That being said with all the research on trolling motors I did I went with a minn kota powerdrive so I could upgrade to Ipilot when I could afford it. If it was me watch craigslist like a hawk and you will find one at a great price (paid $150 for mine).
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.