FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480513 times)

62 & Done

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #10500 on: Mar 22, 2024, 08:06 AM »
Just sayin' Hunts, that I don't think a few weeks more or less of ice will make a profound difference in the overall size or numbers of a specific fish species. Mother nature has a much more powerful way of regulating the eco system than we do.
 Look at Lake George for instance. Many times, there have been poor ice conditions, and it seems to have little or no effect on the perch populations. A look back at past threads and you will see the same conversation requarding that lake. The locals themselves have mentioned this.
  I'm not knocking the Sacandaga, just saying the fish there could use a few more groceries.

Best to you Hunts

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #10501 on: Mar 22, 2024, 08:27 AM »
62, I see more baitfish these days than back in the 70, 80 or 90's. I believe a lot has to do with the lake being kept higher during the Summer months. Plus, I caught more fish in the 20 to 24 inch class than I do now. I know fishing pressure was less back then, but I have put a lot of walleyes in the boat and these days you don't see many over 20 inches.
Never fished LG, but I perched fished Coneses a lot back in the 70's, as did "everyone" in Western NY. Then there were 3 or 4 years of poor ice and for years the perch fishing really sucked. I think they needed to be cleaned out every year so as not to over-populate...h2l

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #10502 on: Mar 22, 2024, 11:56 AM »
i think oneida lake is one of the heathest eco systems in the state and truth thats because the state has done a good job......probablly one of the best walleye lakes in the country  might not be trophys but healthy  relieable and  good eaters ........
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #10503 on: Mar 22, 2024, 12:49 PM »
hunts2long that is really great to hear about the forage. As a local kid growing up that was about the only place I could get to to fish so I as well have experienced the ups and downs. I think somewhere around 2000 I pretty much threw in the towel but as of late I have heard more reports such as yours which is great. Maybe I'll give her a try this summer. I think I remember a bunch of good structure to get after.

Trapp you hit the nail on the head. There has been a tremendous amount of field work, and studying of the system for decades and it pays off. Those college kids at the field station deserve a lot of credit too.
 Also Trapp, they can't all be trophy's but if you go to the hatchery during the run, you will see some whoppers.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #10504 on: Mar 22, 2024, 03:09 PM »
come to lake ontario with me  some night  well drag j-18's and you'll learn what a whopper is..............and the best part i don't eat walleyes  i give them away  ...........i  don't like  soft fish  don't  care that much for crappies either  perch blue gills and  a  nice  brown trout work for me
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #10505 on: Apr 01, 2024, 05:51 PM »
Took a ride to the hatchery this morning. One of the DEC folks were just hanging about answering all kinds of questions and offering any educational info he could. I tagged along for a bit as he was very interesting. I love seeing all those beautiful fish. Lots of them in the creek today, and lined up at the dam. They said they will have all the eggs they can handle by Friday. Now is the time to go.

BiteMe

« Reply #10506 on: Apr 09, 2024, 08:57 AM »
A quick ride to the S. Shore launch to see the Eclipse. Docks still not in and water level was low.

Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #10507 on: Apr 09, 2024, 01:36 PM »
I don't know why the lake level would be low, one gate is open at the Caughdenoy Dam and water is flowing over the rest of the gates. Must be the moon is causing a high tide at the west end of Oneida Lake.

filetandrelease

« Reply #10508 on: Apr 09, 2024, 03:01 PM »
 It takes time to fill the lake back up
 The hatchery made a call few days back and ask that question and were told the gauges were messed up 🤪
 It was addressed in the OLA report

oneida1

« Reply #10509 on: Apr 09, 2024, 04:02 PM »
dock and hoist went in the water today get the boat from storage this weekend 1st nice day and im not working that will go in. Waster is down some but going off old water line on my dock stands not much

reeleyz

« Reply #10510 on: Apr 10, 2024, 05:09 AM »
I put the dock and boat in this past weekend. There was just enough water to get the boat on the hoist on Sunday. Yesterday the water was up quite a bit more so no issues. Took home a handful of nice perch for a couple hours on the water. Those pesky walleyes were hitting minnows too.

https://www.canals.ny.gov/waterlevels/netdata/oneida-levels.pdf

filetandrelease

« Reply #10511 on: Apr 10, 2024, 06:31 AM »

Good going Bruce

reeleyz

« Reply #10512 on: Apr 10, 2024, 06:50 AM »
Thanks Fred. Not exactly on fire but enough for a meal.

xc600

• ADK
« Reply #10513 on: Apr 10, 2024, 07:56 AM »
Now that the lake is full I see a lot of debris floating. Spotted a tree this morning about 30' long just east of Lewis Point. Be alert.

filetandrelease

« Reply #10514 on: Apr 10, 2024, 05:05 PM »
 Thanks for the report xc600

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.