My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion

Trolling Live Shiners

(1/4) > >>

JWHORF:
Hey now!

I am going to be trolling using a dipsy diver and would like to troll a large live shiner.
How does everyone rig the shiner when trolling in fairly deep water?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

fishinjohn:

--- Quote from: JWHORF on Sep 12, 2023, 03:52 PM ---Hey now!

I am going to be trolling using a dipsy diver and would like to troll a large live shiner.
How does everyone rig the shiner when trolling in fairly deep water?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

--- End quote ---
I personally wouldn't use a dipsy...
I'd use bottom bouncer with a 2ft fluorocarbon leader and a slow death hook... hook that shiner through the nose

JWHORF:
Even use a bottom bouncer if I won't really be close to the bottom?
I will be trolling in deep water sometimes over 100 fow.

The plan is to get down to 20 - 60 fow and get lucky for a salmon and maybe catch a few bronze backs in the process.

Thanks

fishinjohn:

--- Quote from: JWHORF on Sep 12, 2023, 07:13 PM ---Even use a bottom bouncer if I won't really be close to the bottom?
I will be trolling in deep water sometimes over 100 fow.

The plan is to get down to 20 - 60 fow and get lucky for a salmon and maybe catch a few bronze backs in the process.

Thanks

--- End quote ---
Ohhhhhh you're going way deep!!!! ????
I'd use the same method off a dipsy... long leader with a shiner hooked through the nose.. slow death would give it a twist as long as you use a barrel swivel ..
I've done well with this off bouncers on 30 fow for eyes

JWHORF:
Yes, Very Deep! I attempt to troll for salmon every fall on Lake George unsuccessfully. 
It usually ends up being a nice boat ride until we decide to jig for Lakers.  I am hopeful that a shiner may entice some small mouth action and
break up the monotony of the "boat ride" while fishing for salmon.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version