FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: April 1 Trout Opener  (Read 7623 times)

Bartman44

April 1 Trout Opener
« on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Just checked the NY stream levels and they look pretty good for the trout opener next Thursday.

Anybody getting sick next Thursday?

Have any good opening day stories?

I recall one opener on the Kayaderosseras Creek when a newspaper guy shows up just after my partner caught a 14" brook trout. The guy has my friend put the trout back on the hook and he poses in a number of positions. The guy must have taken 25 pictures of him for the paper. As the guy leaves he takes one quick shot of me.  My friend goes home that night and calls all his friends, telling them to get the paper the next day becuase he's going to be in it. The next day he gets the paper and I'm in it instead of him. I still laugh about it.

Bart

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: April 1 Trout Opener
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:49 PM »
I'm getting ready too, went to Dick's Sportin goods last night and got a ton of new pathers and joe's. Bigh fishing sale this week on trout spinners, flies, lures, and line. Went out 1 last time today on the ice and then put it all up on the shelves.

Here Mr. Brookie, Brown, and Rainbow.

Fish On!
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2004, 03:43 AM »
Sick? Nah, I took 2 vacation days. It's going to be the 4 day magical trout tour of WNY. Already know a bunch of good spots, and a few great ones. Suggestions anyone?

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2004, 07:42 AM »
Yupper have vacation that day.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I am sick of waiting, but I would have to be in bed kind of sick to keep me away from the creeks that day
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2004, 07:12 PM »
Yeah I'll be out there.  I don't have any stories though, I never have fished on opening day before. 

timcat

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:22 AM »
 I call it a holiday and the business closes for the day. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2004, 12:05 PM »
Just took a drive around to see how the streams looked after this rain and they all look like chocolate milk in the Utica Rome area >:(
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Bartman44

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2004, 01:01 PM »
Yes, the surf is up here in eastern NY  as well.

Bart

nyoutdoors

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Yep, high and muddy here, too.  Hope they get down and clear up a little by Thursday.

One of my best opening day memories happened about 5 or 6 years ago.  I used to work 3rd shift, so I'd get out at 7am.  Me and a couple of friends from work were gonna go to this "sweet spot" one of them knew of, but had never been to.  So, we head out from work, taking a bunch of back roads out of Binghamton.  After about an hour and a half of driving, my buddy finally pulls over, and I follow.  He gets out of his car, giggling, and walks back to my car.  I rolled down my window, and simply said, "I'm not impressed."  He lost it, and I joined in.  We finally got to the place, and it started pouring.  Never caught any fish, but went back to the one guys house and caught one hell of a buzz!!  We woke up later that afternoon and headed back out.  Between the three of us, we caught about 5 fish, none keepers.  It's still one of my favorite memories.

Al
Fishing, hunting, camping.....who says life has to be hard?

reubenpa

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I will alway remember fishing a tiny trout stream in Blair county PA and I found a little hole about 7 feet wide and 13-15 feet long. I got 26 trout out of there.  I kept 2 I think from that hole. All of course were stocked, and most were 10 inches or so biggest of about 14.  Also a couple years ago I fished it with my 30 inch ice rod, a cheap 4 dollar rod, and hooked a nice 16" rainbow, That was fun!!!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2004, 12:34 AM »
May take some time in the afternoon Thursday, if the streams come back down from last night's (Friday) rain here.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Taxidermist

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2004, 01:16 AM »
Hey Reuben,

Have you ever fished Yellow Creek? I think it's in Cambria County. There is one hole right under the falls that had all sorts of fish in it. Me and a couple of other guys would fish for trout and carp in there when I lived in Ebensburg.

Randy

reubenpa

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Taxidermist.
No I haven't. I never really traveled to fishing spots until teh last few years, as I didn't have a car. When I did that I was a teenager and could only walk to my holes. I used to live in Twin Rocks, and got a 12 in perch out of that little lake at Ebensburg.  I didn't know I had a nice one, as I had never gotten one before. I was 12.  It was my biggest until last Jan. when I got a 12.5 incher.  I ususlaly fished the Vansquaque.    Or something like that.

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2004, 05:15 PM »
Come on guys, no suggestions?
Oh, you don't give up your holes...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.