FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339711 times)

monic20

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #60 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:02 PM »
1950 cfs  thru pineville

dimebrite

« Reply #61 on: Apr 10, 2015, 06:14 AM »
Coho coho thanks for that info. That'll save me a few trips over there. Never seen them open this late with nothing up in beaver yet either. I got out for a couple in the late evening. Brought my son to an easy access to do an upstream retrieval with a rapala. Saw one very large swirler in our 15 minutes effort.

Monic, even a month and a half ago when pressure was low a friend of mine drifted pineville to ball park. He saw a lot of deads mid river to ball park even then.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #62 on: Apr 10, 2015, 07:48 PM »
I hooked the  same steelhead 4 times in Oswego and  tossed him in off the wall (I know  this  because  he  had a  fly I tied in his  jaw)  he lived ...I think the  die off  is  because  of the extreme  cold winter .... then the goons  ripping fish didn't help  but the fly zone has been that way since they opened it....  bottom line  it's a put and  take ....the boats  hammer them more then anyone else
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

dimebrite

« Reply #63 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Trap, fished the zone since it opened. In my opinion its uglier than ever. But maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me. Ya know, when chuck and duck first came about (it was not called that back in the day) it was an honest attempt to catch winter steelhead.  This slash and thrash tactic up in the zone is pretty gross though. But yes, it is a put and take fishery. You are 100% right. This is the first year I've ever seen the hatchery closed to the public, and the most dead steelhead I've ever seen and heard of. I just hope that "we" haven't gone past our means and "taken" too much from what's been "put"...

Clint S

« Reply #64 on: Apr 11, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Trap, fished the zone since it opened. In my opinion its uglier than ever. But maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me. Ya know, when chuck and duck first came about (it was not called that back in the day) it was an honest attempt to catch winter steelhead.  This slash and thrash tactic up in the zone is pretty gross though. But yes, it is a put and take fishery. You are 100% right. This is the first year I've ever seen the hatchery closed to the public, and the most dead steelhead I've ever seen and heard of. I just hope that "we" haven't gone past our means and "taken" too much from what's been "put"...

I fish the LFZ alot and it is horrific. I have seen sideways ripping, mono on fly reels, too much weight , running line.  ect ect ect. The fish are abused for a picture. I say something and am told to F off. I have called and no one shows up. Last year I was almost physically ran off a spot because somebody was ''saving'' a spot for his buddy who was up in his car sleeping. I know because I saw him. There are some good folks that fish there and there are people that feel entitled because they drove 4 hours and we need to bow to them because they come and spend money in town. I say shut it down or police it. Better yet turn it into a kids only area. Under 18 only.

trapper2000

« Reply #65 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:30 PM »
i  am a  flyfisherman  have  been  most  my  life  and  to  be  honest i  don't  like  "special fly  fishing only " waters   ....i  don't  need  a  handicapand  i'm  not  afraid  to  fish  with  someone  with  spinning tackle  or a  kid  with a  zebco  and a  worm  i  enjoy  everyone , as  far  as  steelheaders  spending  money   ...no  where  near  the  money  the  salmon  crowd  does ....  me  i  might  get  20  bucks  in gas  a  cup of  coffee  and  stop in   all seasons

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #66 on: Apr 11, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I fish the LFZ alot and it is horrific. I have seen sideways ripping, mono on fly reels, too much weight , running line.  ect ect ect. The fish are abused for a picture. I say something and am told to F off. I have called and no one shows up. Last year I was almost physically ran off a spot because somebody was ''saving'' a spot for his buddy who was up in his car sleeping. I know because I saw him. There are some good folks that fish there and there are people that feel entitled because they drove 4 hours and we need to bow to them because they come and spend money in town. I say shut it down or police it. Better yet turn it into a kids only area. Under 18 only.

Locals are no more entitled to spots then the mupheres.  Who gets there first is who fishes the spot.  If you move it you lose it as well.

filetandrelease

« Reply #67 on: Apr 11, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I am one of the few natives in the area , my feelings is the same be it on hard or soft water , if someone is fishing a spot you wanted , just move on to the next , first come first served , there are DK,s where ever you go , be it local or out of towner JMO , I have seen both good and bad over the last 50 yrs on the river , just think of one thing , if you tried to stock salmon today , or any other species in the lake some would consider them an invasive species , so enjoy what is available ,

Clint S

« Reply #68 on: Apr 12, 2015, 06:43 AM »
your  right and  your  wrong  you are  welcome  to fish the  spot but  you are  a  quest  you are  on our  state  land  using our  state  esaements fishing  for  fish we  stocked  on a  river we clean ..... I want you  fishing next to me  and  you do have   every right too  but  when I go to PA to hunt or  fish I say thank you and  keep in mind I am a quest in that state

I personally have  never  favored "special water"  makes no sence  to me that as a  flyfisherman I need  special water ..... and  chuck and  duck was  never a  legit way to flyfish neither was a mooching rod ,we all know it  it's  salmon tactics   now  being used on steelhead......

I  again  thing  it's  time  fisherman and  the  state  be  honest  admit  kings  don't  hit  make a  honest  salmon  season  and  legalise  tactics  so  salmon  fisherman can  get  their fish  then shut  that  completely off  and  have  a  real steelhead  season with realy tactics legal.......

this  is my opinion  from what I have  seen for the  past  app. 50 years  of salmon  in the  river

There was no respect from them period. The guy literally said ''we drove here 4 hours and this is our fing spot'' There was close to 40 yards of real estate between the two guys, a mile on the river during prime time.    I would of happily fished there and moved when he came back if asked, but I was told and it was a demand. I did not stay and it was close to an hour before the guy came back...........

Trap hit the nail it's about respect and many people treat their trip here like it is a free for all with no rules, leaving the mess for everyone else to look at and clean up.

It sucks waiting for that 1 in a 100 fish to hit, they are too molested to do so.  I have also caught plenty in the Oswsegatchi river and other rivers up north on spoons to know they will hit though.   I would not be averse to a one month snag a thon before the steel come in. Let them at it and let them leave, then let the people that want to fish for steel and the few remaining salmon have a crack at it.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #69 on: Apr 12, 2015, 06:27 PM »
So you guys are saying that if someone that drove up there to fish should bow out to any local that wants to fish the spot he was in first because he does not live there.

Oh and money from non resident licenses goes towards raising all the fish put into the river the same as residents.

As far as cleaning up...  I have watched plenty of cars with NY plates on them leave trash everywhere also.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #70 on: Apr 12, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Clint. I'm sorry you had to have that experience with a out of stater. 

I'll admit I drove up from pa and I have never turned away any one that wants to fish near me.   Like to fish with others and meet new people.  Nobody knows everything about fishing so you can always learn something from anybody. 

trapper2000

« Reply #71 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:38 PM »
So you guys are saying that if someone that drove up there to fish should bow out to any local that wants to fish the spot he was in first because he does not live there.

Oh and money from non resident licenses goes towards raising all the fish put into the river the same as residents.

As far as cleaning up...  I have watched plenty of cars with NY plates on them leave trash everywhere also.

exactly  were   did I  say  you had  to  bow  out  ????  I have  many  friends  that  come  from  PA  long island  and  jersey  to  fish here  with me .....  what I  am  saying is when I  fish or  hunt  out of   this  area  I  realize  I  am a  quest  and  I  show  the  respect  the  people that  worked  hard  to perseve  that  area  ...most  locales   do not  make  money   from  the  tourism  dollar   yet have  to  put  up  with the  traffic  the  trash  the  profanity    the   area  smelling like  urine  because    grown  men are to lazy  to  walk  and  use a  bathroom ....true  this  is  a  very   small  percentage  of  out of  towners  but  it  does  leave a  bad taste  .....

and  your  non residence   fee  means  very  little    and  only a  very  small percentage    goes  to  the  locale  area i'm not  tring to  belittle  you  ,i'm telling  you the  truth   if  you wan to impres  me  carry a  trash  bag  and   fill it  or  stay out  of  the  handicapped  parking   areas  at  wal  mart  ......act like  a  gentleman  and  have  some  respect ...i  do  when i hunt  in  PA  or  fish in  canada ,  no one  here  said  you  couldn't  fish  nor  is  pointing a  finger  at  you personally your  here a  few  week  ends a  year ,this is our  homes  it's  where  we  live .......i  don't  want  my  grand  children  hearing  the   f  word  screamed  out  because  someone  lost a   fish  ...i  don't  want  my  wife  not  being  able  to use  a  handicapped  parking  area  because  someone  just  drove  here  and  will only  be  in the  store a  min .....  i'm a  little  tired  of  picking up  your  trash  as  well or  seeing  grown  men   taking a  leak  when a  porta potti  is  50  yards  away ........now  were  does  it  say  on that  non residence  licence  give  you that  right?  oh  and   when i  say  local i  mean  i  grew swimming  in  salmon  river

dimebrite

« Reply #72 on: Apr 12, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Wow a lot of content getting thrown around but all good and honest!  I m with the respect thing.  Self entitlement over another is uncalled for no matter where you're from... Respect the locale for sure. Trap is 100% correct as many local tax payers have no ties to the fishery. Out of state money brought in to the economy is great, but it does not entitle anyone to act deservingly ignorant...(not saying all out of Towner's are like this).. As for spots on the water, yes first come first serve... And common courtesy coupled with stream side etiquette is a must when sharing water with others. But if you're buddy is eating lunch and wants his spot held, that's bull crap...you snooze you lose!!!

Trap I learned fly fishing for trout with dry flies and nymphs at a very young age.. Matching hatches and investigating pupas and larvae under rocks, so I'm sorta on the same page as you.  The first few years targeting steelhead was with weight forwards.  We eventually switched over in the middle 90's and started using running lines or #3 wf floating lines to accommodate fishing deeper runs with short or quick drifts. Fly fishing was still the mentality and I can assure it was not salmon tactic in the least. But as you know, with that the disease was spread and any Joe schmoe could buy a fly rod and pitch a few cannon balls off the church hole rocks and call themselves a flyfisherman. I was switched back over to weight forwards and more traditional drifting late 90's/early 2000's...
Will say though, we had some banner days with running lines and aggressively hitting steelhead.  I haven't fished the zone in probably 3 years. When I fished the river avidly it was usually our last resort.  These days I find myself liking bass fishing more and more.    And I'm really itching to get a pike on the fly rod,  and I wish I was well off enough to go to the Bahamas a couple times a year for bonefish!!! Lol                   

fishforfun

« Reply #73 on: Apr 13, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I use to fish the salmon for many years and have seen a lot from fighting, pushing kids down to get a fish, to trash and I will say this it is not just out of towners that cause problems but some locals. I was fishing one day and showing a 12 Yr old and his father the correct way to fish for salmon ( not snagging ) and a group of locals came down the path drunk as hell and one pushed the kid down to try to snag a fish that was in font of the kid, when I said something they tried to start a fight with me. It was about 8 to 1 but a group of  PA gentlemen came to help and they left. I know some of those guys and know for a fact they were locals and some now are considered great fishermen on this sight ( yes they may have grown up and stopped drinking and cleaned up there act ). I no longer fish there do to there conduct, most people local and out of towners respect others, the fishery and do there part but a few from every group make every one look bad . And yes attack me if you like as truth hurts

trapper2000

« Reply #74 on: Apr 13, 2015, 08:01 PM »
name  em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.