FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Burnett's Pond  (Read 1108 times)

bogtrotter

Burnett's Pond
« on: Aug 09, 2018, 07:38 PM »
This afternoon, my younger son and I fished Burnett's Pond in Savoy State Forest

Although Burnett's has been the site of many of my fondest ice fishing adventures, it is tough to fish from shore and has been relatively disappointing the few times I have fished it during open water season. But it's a quiet, scenic spot, and my son was interested in catching "anything but trout" so what the heck.

Sunny. blue skies, 80 degrees with a light breeze.

The fishing was not terribly productive - - we each caught a half dozen dink perch (biggest about 8") - - but I did have the pleasure of doing my first open water cookout.

I brought my fire bowl (which I usually bring ice fishing) and cooked lunch over a wood fire.

On the menu: diced turkey and vegetables (potatoes, carrots, celery, green chilis, olives and tomatoes) sauteed in olive oil and homemade wine (a dandelion, peach, pear and sumac blend) with a salad on the side, the rest of the wine for a beverage for me (my son had to content himself with a thermos of milk) and an apple for dessert.

While we were fishing, I discovered some bushes with ripe service berries (a/k/a june berries or shad berries) and picked about 5 pounds worth. There are the first ones I have come across in about 15 years, and I'm excited because they make pretty good wine (sort of blue berry flavored with a slightly nutty undertone).

The culinary experience continued this evening. Yesterday, while I was down in the Springfield area, I picked up some camel patties at Arnold's Meats in Chicopee, and tonight my wife was kind enough to cook up some camel burgers (only the second time we've tried it), along with corn on the cob and a tomato and bread crumb casserole.

taxid

Re: Burnett's Pond
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Actual burgers from a Camel?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Actual burgers from a Camel?

Yup.  I'll try to dig out the recipe and post it separately F/W/I/W.

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Here we go:

Ingredients: (a) 2 lbs ground camel meat (can be purchased at Arnold's Meats in Chicopee)
(b) 2 tablespoons Ras-El-Hanout (Morroccan spice blend) - - see separate recipe below to make your own
(c) 2/3 cup bread crumbs
(d) 1 egg
Optional: caramaleized onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix gently. Form into patties and gently press your thumb into the middle of the patty to make a small indentation. Place the patties in the fridge for 15 minutes. Grill the patties for about 10 minutes per side.

Ras El Hanout recipte (this makes 2 tablespoons):

(a) 1 tsp ground cumin (e) 1/2 tsp ground cinammon (i) 1/4 tsp ground cloves
(b) 1 tsp ground ginger (f) 1/2 tsp ground coriander (mix all together till well blended)
(c) 1 tsp salt (g) 1/2 tsp cayenne
(d) 3/4 tsp black pepper (h) 1/2 tsp ground allspice

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:39 AM »
So how does camel meat compare to others? What does it taste like?

And please no comments from the peanut gallery, like "taste like chicken."   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Tastes like camel. (Couldn't help myself Cecil!)

Jim nice work and thanks for sharing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jim.

Cecil - I have had camel as well and in general i would say it tastes like a mix of beef and venison. slightly like lamb. Wife did not like it which is why i say lamb. lol
Wicked Wec

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:08 PM »
It's a little hard to describe, but I'd say Sharps' description is in the right ball park, somewhere between a mix of beef, venison and lamb.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2018, 06:46 AM »
interesting. I'm not a big fan of lamb so I might not like it. I think you have to develop a taste for lamb. Those that like it really like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.