FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: being on the look out for champ.  (Read 4956 times)

crappieman12887

being on the look out for champ.
« on: Jun 24, 2004, 11:33 PM »
 has any one ever seen him if so please post a picture,or tell use what he looks like.thanks bill

deerslayer92163

Re: being on the look out for champ.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2004, 07:39 AM »
i lived near port kent for 20 yrs never caught a glimpse but if you do see him you'll get your name on the billboard entering port henry
  if you want to see pictures theres websites go to lake champlain monster.com

crappieman12887

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2004, 06:22 PM »
thanks for the info,just looking to find out if any one here ever got a look at him.us southeren end poeple seen some weaird things at this end of the lake ,and never had a camra with us to get a picture and really dont say any thing becuase others would think we are crazy.bill

waterdawg14622

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2004, 10:09 PM »
Who is champ? 
Jeff

deerslayer92163

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2004, 04:04 AM »
the lake champlain monster our version of nessy

Polar

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2004, 05:23 PM »
really dont say any thing becuase others would think we are crazy.bill

I'll be the first ;D.just joking who knows whats lurks in the deep lakes.

crappieman12887

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2004, 08:23 PM »
we at the southren end know but all are sworn to keep a secret,besides like i said before who would beleive us anyways.bill

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2004, 12:23 PM »
So, lets hear it!!! ???
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

crappieman12887

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2004, 09:08 PM »
well lets see hear ,he is about 4 to six feet long kind of brown in color ,like a bullhead color,walk right up and out of the water to rest on the shores and returns to the lake as soon as hear hears any sounds approching him,likes holding in slow moving currents.bill

OTIS

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2004, 11:53 AM »
COOL!  Any others?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Hookset

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I have heard a bunch of tales myself.  I hear that the monster is shaped much like the extinct Plesiosaurus.  A long, thin neck topped with a small head(serpent- like from the neck up).  The neck attaches to a very bulbous body with flipper-like appendages used for propulsion.  On the back end of the body is a long tail, about as long as the neck.  Supposedly a fish/opportunity eater.  I have heard of the beast making a trek on land.  That is actually how I heard about it originally, my Social Studies teacher in High School(Saratoga Springs High School), Mr. Zarczynski, is an "expert" on the creature after he supposedly swirved to miss it crossing a roadway in the evening before dark.  He has written a few books in the past 20 years. 
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

deerslayer92163

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2004, 03:02 PM »
ill bet it was 4:20 in the morning

jf5

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2004, 03:31 PM »
ill bet it was 4:20 in the morning

;D Now that was funny!

lumberjohn

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:09 PM »
An article from the Albany Times Union:
Champ populations have increased markedly in Lake Champlain in recent years, likely a result of a cleaner environment and fewer pesticides causing reproductive problems. Large nesting colonies are a sight to behold, although very few people have actually seen them. High densities of nesting Champs are not without problems. In Lake Champlain, destruction of vegetation on nesting islands in Vermont by Champs threatens populations of common terns, a threatened species. "Champs excrete massive amounts of guano," says Wally Diver, Region 5 fisheries manager, "which is very acidic and kills all of the vegetation." "In addition, during their mating ritual they can knock down a whole bunch of trees. We had until recently thought these were blowdowns." Champ's are known to nest near swamps and tributaries feeding the lake and are occassionally spoted crossing roadways late at night. Furthermore, studies of Champ's impact upon the ecosystem have shown that they have had a very negative impact upon economically important fisheries. "Basically they are gobbling up massive amounts of fish. Our studies indicate that each Champ devours about 200 pounds of fish per day, primarily smallmouth bass and Atlantic salmon.", says Wally. "Fishermen are very irate. Creel census' show that their catch rate has declined markedly." The NYS DEC, in conjunction with the Vermont Dept of Fish and Game have received a permit from the US Fish & Wildlife Service allowing them to begin culling Champ's from Lake Champlain beginning in 2005 through controlled hunting. "The problem is that they are a very elusive creature." says Wally, "You can't shoot what you can't see." The slated 2005 controlled hunt has been challenged by animal rights groups including PETA, The Humane Society and Friends of Wildlife and is on hold pending the outcome of litigation in US District Court in Albany.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2004, 07:38 AM »
and thats a real newspaper article?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.