FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New striper size regulations..  (Read 2104 times)

gunner1

New striper size regulations..
« on: Aug 07, 2004, 09:01 AM »
I've heard that the minimum size for 2005 is going to be 24" then in 2006 it's going to be 26". Can anyone substantiate this for me?

Somers

Re: New striper size regulations..
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2004, 11:21 AM »
Where are you talking about gunner? 

I heard of a proposed change this year for the marine district but it keeps the current limit at 28" for one fish and allows for the culling of a trophy fish at 40" or better.  This has not yet been approved for this year and is awaiting DEC approval.  Until it is approved you're allowed one fish at 28" or better.

The limit for Hudson river stripers caught north of the George Washington Bridge is currently 18" and I haven't heard of any changes in these regs.

Where are you getting this info?

Muskie Matt

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2004, 12:14 PM »
Haven't heard of the proposed changes but it would make sense in they keep it the way it is, the same as Massachusetts & Connecticut.

gunner1

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Where are you talking about gunner? 

I heard of a proposed change this year for the marine district but it keeps the current limit at 28" for one fish and allows for the culling of a trophy fish at 40" or better.  This has not yet been approved for this year and is awaiting DEC approval.  Until it is approved you're allowed one fish at 28" or better.

The limit for Hudson river stripers caught north of the George Washington Bridge is currently 18" and I haven't heard of any changes in these regs.

Where are you getting this info?

I remember reading it in an article in the Daily Freeman back in May. It applied to fish north of the GW ( where I'm located ) and was echoed in a different paper ( the Times Union I believe ) at a later date.   

gunner1

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I think I do remember what gunner is talking about.  There was an article in the Times Union from Albany back in the spring or early summer that did talk about a change.  I do believe it applied to the upper Hudson too.  I tried a search under Fred Lebrun's old columns on the website for the Times Union but couldn't find it because they don't go that far back.  I don't fish for stripers so I didn't pay attention but I definitely remember something.

Whew! I thought I was losing my mind. Man, I thought someone was gonna kill me for just the thought of increasing size limits.

gunner1

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:36 PM »
I've heard that the minimum size for 2005 is going to be 24" then in 2006 it's going to be 26". Can anyone substantiate this for me?

Well, it looks like I was right, unfortunately. I went and got my new Sportsmans License yesterday and picked up a copy of the 2004-2006 fishing regulations. Next to " striped bass " it says there are new regulations pending then it goes on to give a phone number and a web address. I can hear the teeth grinding now....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.