FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Strange wildlife day  (Read 1285 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Strange wildlife day
« on: Jun 14, 2020, 07:30 PM »
I was taking my morning walk down the canal path this morning about 5 am. I was looking to check the progress of the mulberry trees I fish for carp and not paying much attention to anything else.

All of a sudden, a beaver, 30 lbs and 3' long, shot out of the bushes and across in front of me and dove down the bank into the canal. Almost ran over my feet. I near peed my pants. Scared the bejesus out of me.

A hundred or so yards further down there was a good size snapping turtle that just finished burying its eggs. Getting itself together to return to e canal.

Next up were 3 deer that bolted out of the swamp on the North side of the canal, crashed down the bank and proceeded to swim across the canal to the other side.

Checked our bluebird house and there's 4 new eggs. Second clutch this year.

What a fun day out there.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

Re: Strange wildlife day
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2020, 08:00 PM »
That’s some nice wildlife watching in one day. My buddy just texted me about an encounter on his new property (we’re in Maine). He has been clearing the land slowly himself, and cleaning up as he goes. He said he was just sitting down and relaxing, when there was a loud crashing through the brush. Out came this hare running right out in front of him, followed closely by a large bobcat. It was big enough he thought it may have been a mountain lion that people have said they’ve seen, plus he saw one a few years ago (though they aren’t officially in the state). Then he saw it was “missing” a tail as it ran by, chasing the hare. Either way it was big and close enough that he drew his side arm just in case. So far, on trail cam and seeing signs, for predators he knows he’s got at least one bear, several foxes, coyotes, now that bob cat.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Watching wildlife is always awesome

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2020, 06:56 AM »
Watched a mink working its way along the canal bank this morning. It popped up a few times to see what I was and went about its business. Cute little bugger.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I was trout fishing early yesterday morning, pulled up to my first pool and caught a brown on a streamer in the first minute. Then here comes this beaver swimming up stream and stops mid way through the pool and turns around. Thinking he wanted to head up stream, I backed out of the pool to give him some social distancing  and here he comes again, gets past me and then turns back downstream and starts making circles in the pool. The pool wasn't big enough for the 2 of us and he made enough commotion to scare my trout so I moved on downstream to the next pool. He didn't slap his tail, just annoyed me to the point where I declared him the winner.       

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2020, 04:44 PM »
At least he didn’t follow you from pool to pool slapping his tail! I had that happen when fly fishing for salmon.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.