FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Advice or opinions on Electronics  (Read 7130 times)

PeterSaloom

Advice or opinions on Electronics
« on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:53 AM »
I am currently looking at the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI and the Raymarine Dragonfly Pro. Does anyone have experience with either that they could share with me? Additionally does anyone have a recommendation outside those two models that they think might be better? I am looking at ease of use, the availability of down imaging, and a price point between of $400-600.

gundogwanted

Re: Advice or opinions on Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Don't know about the Ray unit, but a guy offered me a Humminbird 798ci HD SI that he bought last June, sold his boat in the Fall and is now selling it for $495.00 It's in ellecent shape.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

PeterSaloom

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Don't know about the Ray unit, but a guy offered me a Humminbird 798ci HD SI that he bought last June, sold his boat in the Fall and is now selling it for $495.00 It's in ellecent shape.

That's a side imaging unit not a down imaging unit and I am torn between the two technologies but I think the down imaging would be better for me. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on SI vs. DI

Togue_Troller

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I would think that the type of fishing you do would have a stronger bearing on which type of sonar you would purchase.

I operate a 937c and a 858c HD DI Humminbird units on my 17' Lund.
I primarily troll in 45' to 110' of water and on or very near the bottom so I feel that a DI unit has more value to me. I very rarely fish for suspended fish. My main concern is what's on the bottom and how close I can get to a shelf or a sharp drop off. I feel that the Sonar and DI view give me a more detailed view of what is directly below my boat. I fish downriggers and lead directly behind the boat.

I would think that fishing with setups that take your tackle out to the side of the boat and varying depths for suspended fish may have a larger benefit utilizing the SI sonar.

Chawk190

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I'm also interested in the Raymarine Dragonfly Pro7. I currently have a Garmin 740s and would like to use that for a dedicated GPS and the Dragonfly 7 chirp for a standalone sounder on my 19' cc. Anyone have any experience with the Dragonfly? The pricing seems pretty good, at approx $650 inc transducer, it's half the price of a new 740xs w/o transducer. For inshore fishing in 15-100' and occasionally to 200' I really don't need the capabilities of the much more expensive 741xs.

Lifeguard

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:18 PM »
That's a side imaging unit not a down imaging unit and I am torn between the two technologies but I think the down imaging would be better for me. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on SI vs. DI
I'm pretty sure all the Humminbird side imaging models have down imaging as well.  Mine does.

ericmic1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Lifeguard is right...

All Humminbird SI units are upgradable (software) to DI.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.