FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wellesley Island Northern Pike  (Read 2677 times)

crl1970

Wellesley Island Northern Pike
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on Northern Pike fishing this coming weekend.  My son and I are headed up to the St Lawrence River and will be launching on Wellesley Island.  Thanks for any info.

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
Re: Wellesley Island Northern Pike
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:24 AM »
I always cast large spoons and retrieve real slowwww. The fish are still sluggish from winter, then spawning. They'll eat, just may not play chase long. ill be on the river as well! tight lines!

crl1970

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for the tip Slabs.  Tightlines

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Did i mention they should be shallow? less than 20'?  cruising the flats looking for baitfish....

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12 PM »
A #3 to #5 silver mepps, a johnson spoon, a daredevil all work well. Even a minnow under a bobber in the warmer water works great, especially if the minnows are active in the warmer, shallower water. You can troll or cast.  Good luck!

crl1970

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I picked up some spoons today and wil get some minnows Saturday morning.  Hopefully the sun warms up the water a bit to make the fish a little more active.  Thinking of hitting the eel bay area or fishers landing.  Also may troll some drop offs with thunder sticks.

joshjj2010

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:17 PM »
I went ice fishing up there outta eel bay and had 7 flags within an hour i used small pike minnows. They may work now

riverdogg

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Just find shallow weeds as mentioned previously, that shouldn't be a problem in Eel Bay.  Slow rolling spinnerbaits and / or stickbaits like Rapalas will get you some fish.

grady95

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03 AM »
The cut between Picton and Grindstone usually has some fish along the weed edges this time of year.  Other guys here have already mentioned the pattern.  It's weeds and drops.  They won't chase now, they'll ambush.
My favorites right now are tiger colored Reef Runner Ripsticks, countdown Rapala in perch color and believe it or not, just good old Mr Twister grub bodies on leadheads.  I carry grape, yellow, white and chartreuse colors.  Usually start with chartreuse.  If you're like me, you'll tip that with a small piece of worm and jig it along weed edges.
Wish I was up there with you guys.  This is a very good time to fish The River.  Might want to take a little time and get yourself a nice mess of perch for a shore lunch too.  They should be easy.  I think even my brother could catch those!  ;D
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

crl1970

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Went out on Saturday morning at 6am and froze.  Wind was howling.  All i caught were a few small Pike  :-\   I had my 8 yr old son with me and unfortunately we under dressed for the cold. Hopefully better days are coming..

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Not to change the subject but speaking of Wellesley....my brother & I and our 2 wives are going to be camping/fishing for 4 days at Canoe Point State Park in mid-June immediately before and including the opening day of bass.  We are looking to catch anything and probably will be doing alot of panfishing since we love the action and of course, they're great eating.  I'm hoping it will be prime time for the spawning gills and sunfish.  I've got a Fishing Hot Spots map of the Grindstone/Wellesley area but that focuses mainly on gamefish hotspots.  Any bay or shoal areas known for panfish?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

wellsley

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46 PM »
The bays  give up some nice panfish, Delaney bay just west of canoe pt. is good for perch and bullheads. Eel bay to your east has just about everything. Bullheads early, perch, gils, pike,carp,lg mouths along the shoreline, small mouths near the islands and the shoal between canoe pt. and grandview park. The best bluegil fishing I have had on the St. Lawrence has been in the lake of the isles.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

jimp

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I grew up on the river.  Silver and black are the best colors.  Run a silver spinner over a weed bed or bump a black jig slow on the bottom and you'll do fine.  The live minnow under a bobber is also a good bet.   Good luck.

crl1970

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Thanks so much everyone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.