FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maine Landlocked Salmon Pics  (Read 3925 times)

Backwater_

Maine Landlocked Salmon Pics
« on: Oct 14, 2005, 11:36 AM »

Hookset

Re: Maine Landlocked Salmon Pics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Wow, that first hook jaw looks very similar to a brown.  Beauties!!  Tight lines.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Nice salmon...and a helluva cheek-full of chaw too!!

jf5

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 05:52 PM »
The top two pics sure look a male brown and the bottom sure looks like a hen brown full of eggs ???  If they're salmon they're the darkest landlocks I've ever seen ???  Not like the ones we have here which are really silver.  I assume your a guide so you know for sure what you're catching in your home waters and what the color patterns are.  Really nice fish and the top pic is great.  What's the biggest salmon you see up there?

SB, Sometimes they get a brown/chrome thing going on in the rivers. But if you catch them in the lake during the regular season they are bright silver like you talk about.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:55 PM »
The #1 way too tell the 2 apart it their teeth... Browns have that funky row around there tongue LL don't..Having fished for the 2 for years I sometimes still come across a LL that looks just like a brown square tail and all, they are very closely related geneticaly..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:36 AM »
And don't forget, landlocked atlantics have spots that look like Xs, as opposed to the more circular spots of the brown trout.

-Zach

Hilltopper

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2005, 07:52 AM »
This is a landlocked I caught in Lake Winni in NH. It was 23" and 4.5 lbs. It did, however, have a row of teeth on it's tongue???

http://www.fishlakewinni.com/v3.JPG

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2005, 01:30 PM »
This is a landlocked I caught in Lake Winni in NH. It was 23" and 4.5 lbs. It did, however, have a row of teeth on it's tongue???

http://www.fishlakewinni.com/v3.JPG
Tried lookin for the pic but I can't for some reason.. But if it had that row AROUND the tongue its not an Atlantic.. Are there browns present where you caught the fish ?
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Hilltopper

« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:48 AM »
I'll try adding the image to the post. I know the image is too big (> 400x600) but this is the size of the pic on the web page it's posted on and I can't resize it because I cannot edit that web page.

Anyway, it's definitely a landlocked salmon (very, very few, if any, browns in Lake Winni). This row of teeth wasn't necessarily AROUND the tongue, it was a group of teeth ON the tongue. Maybe that's different?  ???

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Thats a LL all day long... Also proof that they get that square tail growing on them somtimes ... But the markings and the floppy adpose fin are a dead giveaway.. Beutiful fish I might add, where did you catch him.. If I didn't know any better I would say you were in the Adirondacks the background looks just like a lake I fish for them..

Hilltopper

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Caught him on Lake Winnipesaukee in Central New Hampshire. It's really an amazing salmon fishery. NH Fish and Game does a great job managing it. Rainbows are also stocked. You will catch Lakers, but they are not stocked (supposedly they grow roughly one inch per year).

flapjack

• FISH, or go home!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2005, 09:38 AM »
The top two pics sure look a male brown and the bottom sure looks like a hen brown full of eggs ???  If they're salmon they're the darkest landlocks I've ever seen ???  Not like the ones we have here which are really silver.  I assume your a guide so you know for sure what you're catching in your home waters and what the color patterns are.  Really nice fish and the top pic is great.  What's the biggest salmon you see up there?

SB, Sometimes they get a brown/chrome thing going on in the rivers. But if you catch them in the lake during the regular season they are bright silver like you talk about.

I've caught quite a few in the Stillwater River, a feeder to the Wachusett Res. in central Mass. that take on the darker colors from the tannin content in the river  water. Most of them are caught further upriver and have been in the river for a while to get the change.
Throw'em out with bait, kick back and wait !

OTIS

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Mmmmmmm.  Wachusett Blueberry.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

pondpro

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:17 PM »
nice fish
Tommy G.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.