FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: downrigger balls  (Read 1314 times)

The Caveman

downrigger balls
« on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:03 PM »
when using downriggers, can you just use a canonball style weight that only has 1 loop for line connection or is it needed to have 2 loops?, because i can find the one loop ones for alot cheaper than i can find the two loop ones

Dirtyhooker

Re: downrigger balls
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:23 PM »
One loop will get you started You will need a release between downrigger line and ball

Nomis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:25 PM »
A lot of downrigger releases are meant to go inline between the cable and the ball. As long as you use that style, you don't need the second eye.

I'll sometimes use the second eye for attractants. Depending on my presentation, I'll tie mono to the ball at the eye and then my cowbells ir something similar to a swivel on the other end. When I do that, I'll get rid of the inline release and use a stacker a couple feet above to reduce the risk of tangles.

Its really the only practical use I've found for the second eye, but most people have their own preferences.

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:39 PM »
The one eye cannon ball are used for mooching salmon in Alaska there are some good video on the Web about mooching salmon..

any how you can use the the cannon ball for moching on a down rigger.. to tell you the truth your better off with a finned type cannon ball cause it keeps the ball stright... instead of spinning down below wile trolling..   but any how fishing is not rocket science you don't have to have exactly what the other guy has to catch fish.. quick question what are the ball sizes you needed I got sinkers for 2 and 3 pound rock cod sinkers.. I do know that the mini down rigger  some can only handle up to 5 pounds if you think you can get away with a 2 or 3 pound weight??

I am sure I could send you a few to use.. there heavy and square shape ment to go to the bottom..  let me know if you could use them..  and if they will work would hate to mail the weight if it won't ... 

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Most often, the only thing I ever attach to the rear of the ball is a flasher. I'm totally sold on Chamberlain releases and they go inline with the cable. I put it just above my snubber. And even then I usually use a stacker release.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.