FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98782 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Let me know Mike.  Spent a ton of time out Saturday.  Landed a 4/5lb bow and right as we were snapping a pic...did the accidental release.  Was a clean specimen.  Landed probably 20 or so in the rain between 2 rivers.  Most on a #8 rubber legs.

Immediately before hooking up, looks shallow...both sides of those rocks are over the waders!

Here's the botched bow pic...slippery hands!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2019, 06:12 AM »
I will let you know Jon. I fish a similar looking spot as well. That botched rainbow looks like  healthy fish for sure!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Smaller freestones are still fishing good even w all the rain. Hit up the middle branch of the Westfield on Saturday. It SNOWED the majority of the day but the fishing was on. Landed 4 fatty rainbows and missed several others. Big streamers were the ticket and you had to strip them back as fast as possible to entice a hit but the ones that were biting sure didn’t miss many meals.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2019, 12:23 PM »
This seems like a fitting topic to add too.

Took my long rod out chasing trout this weekend and ended up catching about 20 crappie and 10 blue gills. All of the blue gills were over 9" and 2 of the crappie over 12". Mind you this is in RI (sorry no one exists in the RI forum) and any blue gills over 9" and Crappie over 12" are recognized for an award. Not what I was after originally but my game plan shifted quickly after realizing there was some potential for a ton of action. I must say that I had a blast with these species on a 4wt. These crappie are not at all slabs in my opinion but the blue gills were beasts. In the picture is a 13" crappie and a 10" gill.

Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2019, 12:38 PM »
That's an interesting day with the fly rod.  I've never really targeted warm water species much with my fly rod.  I'm curious what kind of flies and presentation you are using.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Pat what are you waiting for?  I love catching bass, crappie, gills on the fly rod.  Great time and you dont really need to match the hatch at all.

Nice fish btw.  I took a ride to granville but it was ripping.

westernmas

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Pat what are you waiting for?  I love catching bass, crappie, gills on the fly rod.  Great time and you dont really need to match the hatch at all.

Nice fish btw.  I took a ride to granville but it was ripping.

I've given it a couple half hearted attempts but always seem to resort to the spinning gear with those species.  I did get a few bass while I was down in FL but it wasn't too exciting on an 8wt.  In two weeks I'll be down at the cape wrestling with some schoolies on the 6wt with the 8wt on standby if there are larger fish around.  Hopefully we get into them like we did last year at the same time of year.  Goal for me this year is to get a pike on the fly.  I found a few nice spots in the fall where they were eager to hit anything on the surface.  Not sure what kind of leader to use since they were breaking the 40lb fluoro pretty easily.  They inhale whatever they hit on the surface so even the heavy fluoro didn't matter.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Smaller freestones are still fishing good even w all the rain. Hit up the middle branch of the Westfield on Saturday. It SNOWED the majority of the day but the fishing was on. Landed 4 fatty rainbows and missed several others. Big streamers were the ticket and you had to strip them back as fast as possible to entice a hit but the ones that were biting sure didn’t miss many meals.

Nice work Pat

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I have 2 great spots for pike with a fly. Let me know if you are around my parts.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Thanks Jon.

Matching the hatch is not very important but they did want a large fly. Thy were not interested in anything small.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Fished a farmington trib this evening.  400 or so cfs for a relatively narrow stream.  Tough tight lining, not a sniff...but only an hr spent.  Saturday the very end of the Farmimgton TMA hit 4000 cfs!

Mike I also have a good pike fly river nearby but my attention is quickly turning to nailing a slob striper on the fly.  Its on the bucket list. 

Pat I think they use tie-able wire for leader when fly fishing for them.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 07:50 PM »
It's been a fun week for these, this one ate this evening and fought like a champ.  Hendricksons all over.  Tomorrow will be fun!

MattyP123

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 08:12 AM »
 :thumbup_smilie:

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Nice work Jon.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38 AM »
Thanks guys.  Got a pile more last night but most were small.  Caddis nymph did the damage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.