FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing the Jungle This Evening  (Read 1574 times)

bogtrotter

Fishing the Jungle This Evening
« on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:31 PM »
I fished the upper stretch of the Jungle section of the South Hoosic in Cheshire from 6:30 to 7:30 PM this evening.

It was sunny (at least until the sun set) and fairly warm (i.e., temps around 65 degrees when I started and 60 when I finished).

I ended up catching one 8" brown, a 9" and a 12" rainbow, between a half dozen and a dozen dace (ranging from 3" to 8") and (oddly) one 4" sunfish.

lowaccord66

Re: Fishing the Jungle This Evening
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Nice trip Jim.  Hows the flow compared to when we went last?  I'm interested in poking around there again soon!

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:01 AM »
The flow is a bit lower than when we went in late May, but not too bad (unlike some of the other streams in the area).

Water temperatures were quite cool to the touch.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I fished the upper stretch of the Jungle section of the South Hoosic in Cheshire from 6:30 to 7:30 PM this evening.

It was sunny (at least until the sun set) and fairly warm (i.e., temps around 65 degrees when I started and 60 when I finished).

I ended up catching one 8" brown, a 9" and a 12" rainbow, between a half dozen and a dozen dace (ranging from 3" to 8") and (oddly) one 4" sunfish.

Do you ever catch an old holdover monster brown in there?  Seems like there would be some.  Maybe fish after dark?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 PM »
I've caught some decent holdover browns and rainbows, but nothing that I would call a real "monster."  I think my biggest fish probably topped off in the 18" or 19" range.

I agree fishing after dark may increase my chances of catching "the big one", but I try to avoid fishing in the dark since (due to my "wading" style of fishing) it's just no fun stumbling along a rocky/muddy stream in the dark.

I also tend to steer clear of the fishing flood control chute stilling basins where the "big ones" are most likely to lurk, because stream level access to those spots is difficult and it's just no fun hauling them up over 25 feet of concrete walls.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2019, 02:20 PM »
That makes sense. Fish are not worth jeopardizing your safety. Just know of a couple of clients that have caught some huge browns at night in Michigan's Au Sable river that they said you would not know are there during the day. Said they just do not feed during the day.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2019, 06:32 PM »
18-19" trout are very respectable.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2019, 05:22 PM »
18-19" trout are very respectable.

Very true!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.