FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2010 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 716567 times)

lehigh vally

Re: 2010 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:00 AM »
That's pretty cold Snagger did the beem in the celler crack last night? If I was in town I would still go out but only if their was no wind. ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:42 PM »
That's pretty cold Snagger did the beem in the celler crack last night? If I was in town I would still go out but only if their was no wind. ;D
   The beam on the north facing wall jolted a few times..  Suprizingly a decent amount of people today down to the schoolhouse with this cold weather, a long day for most, had a guy here go 1 for 7 on sac's ALL DAY in the upper part of the River, said he seen a few other hook ups, but not many. My buddy chris tried jigs under floats in the hole for a little while, nothing yet, they'll get hungry eventually in the schooly...   have fun out there.  ;)

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bowhunt302

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Hows the perch and walleyes treatin ya shane?

SNAGGER

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Hows the perch and walleyes treatin ya shane?
 Today was only my second time out, but hit double digits both times and 2 keeper eyes both times, it's kind of slow but I can't complain, I love Oneida. The bad ice areas restrict where you can fish still.  Hope your season is going good, catch ya later man..

Well it's January 11th and by this time of year we usually have a much better snowpack than this considering no melts and lots of cold weather, seems the dry fall has turned into a dry early winter so far, one good warm snap and we could be back to near bare ground, we'll see what the rest of the winter has in store for us!!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bunker killer

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Hey Snagger, Sounds like die hard weather up there to me. but with as little fishing as Ive done this year I give it a shot if I could

SNAGGER

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Hey Snagger, Sounds like die hard weather up there to me. but with as little fishing as Ive done this year I give it a shot if I could
  Strarting to get used to it, so it's not bad anymore..

Had a few guys here the last 3 days, they worked hard and fought the weather, but ended up with some pretty good numbers. Mostly bottom drifting, but did do OK with the pink worm wacky style under a float during the mid day periods. They said that many very healthy steelhead have been washing by them belly up on those cold mornings , over a dozen in 2 days, none today. Mostly up by the Bridge area. They tryed to revive them, but they were goners. Some fish in the low-mid teens. Already minus 1 now, expect slush below Pineville.  Tear em up boys!!!

]    5am  minus 3 out there right now!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bowhunt302

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Snagger,

are those steelhead dieing because a lack of oxygen? 

Julius

fishbear

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Snagger,

are those steelhead dieing because a lack of oxygen? 

Julius
Colder water should hold more oxygen, not less. Has to be something else.
"My God, its full of Fish!"

SNAGGER

« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:53 AM »
  I don't want to start a war, but they've were probably caught and released too many times. This year we've expierienced alot of lower waters and now it's real cold. It's deffinetly been colder in other winters, but catch and release wasn't as popular and there wasn't as many fish. Well just like making the salmon laws more strict, not only is there going to be more dead salmon, but during extreme cold, winter die offs of steelhead too. These fish were floating down from the LFZ.   Too bad too, big breeders, this also happened a few weeks ago, I have it on video, large 12-14lb males belly up at the turn just below the Bridge.  I wonder how the big guide meeting went last night at the DSR.  Part 2, they had a  get together during Christmas with the DEC..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bowhunt302

« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:48 AM »
Geez thats too bad.  There is not much room for them to hide in the LFZ.  I take it these fdead fish since they are not sport caught are not legal to keep?

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:09 AM »
 I don't want to start a war, but they've were probably caught and released too many times.  I wonder how the big guide meeting went last night at the DSR.  Part 2, they had a  get together during Christmas with the DEC..

I would have to agree with Snagger.. It's great to toss your fish back after a fight.. I've done it to a bunch of fish..I sat in the wire hole and watched a guide and some Customers just hooking the hell out of the steelheads..As the day went on I noticed that the fish they where hooking where not as spunky as they where in the morning..My only guess was that they where rehooking the fish over....So these fish where fought twice..Major shock to the fish and death for sure..
My 2 cents here.. The DEC should have a two fish slot limt on Steelhead in the rivers..One for eating and one for trophy. We have a lot of small one and a lot of big ones and nothing in the middle.. Where are the 4-6lbers??
We can all read a tape measure..So bring on the slot limit!!!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:51 AM »
  Well the people are already showing up in numbers, the parking lot at the bridge is pretty full.  Temps are in the upper 30's right now and stayed around 34 last night. All that fluff we had on the ground is compacting bigtime. Looks like a great weather weekend.   I'll be taking advantage of this great weather sitting on the South Shore of Oneida Lake..,Hope everyone has a great Holiday weekend.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Geez thats too bad.  There is not much room for them to hide in the LFZ.  I take it these fdead fish since they are not sport caught are not legal to keep?

Mortality of steelhead is just one of those things that happens from time to time in the winter, Especially the LFZ, there's nothing short of not fishing during harsh cold snaps to solve it. That wouldn't be fair to any anglers, whether fly or spin, just thought I'de point out what we seen is all.

Hey Carpie, you have been getting alot of small steelies under 4lbs this year on this River??  Most guys here say there running 6-9 lbs, a few 10-11lbers...  The bigger ones from November are kind of missing.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Yeah in Oswego and the ones I did get in the S/R have been small not even keepers 18-19 inchers.. I mean its a good thing but maybe they should change some things. Don't get me wrong I did catch a few keepers I only killed like, three this season. Snagger I got some cool looking beads at Wal-mart! tie-dyed really funky color blends..Lets see if Skeeters Color theory is right... ::)

Coming up in the morning for a few hours...How is the fishing?
I know that the Ice fishing on Big bay is slower then the Normal. So I am going to pick a fight with a few steelies...
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Y

Coming up in the morning for a few hours...How is the fishing?
I know that the Ice fishing on Big bay is slower then the Normal. So I am going to pick a fight with a few steelies...
 To tell you the truth I don't know, no guests on weds-thursday. Been leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark ice fishing. Now that the crowds have shown back up and more boats, they'll be skiddish to say the least in the popular holes. Hey don't forget the lower River has been virtually untouched for 2 weeks because of slush, could be a few flurries down there. good luck carpie..

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.