FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The story behind Chittenango Creek Creek's "catch and release" fishing section  (Read 44958 times)

esox v

"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand

why some people think its a crime to eat a fish is far beyond me . theose fish are stocked by our tax dollars and 60 snobish flyfishermen dictate weather i can eat my fish or not .......  ???

Gamma Fish

why some people think its a crime to eat a fish is far beyond me . This isn't about whether you want to eat fish or not.  Has absolutely nothing to do with that aspect of fishing !
  theose fish are stocked by our tax dollars    Don't forget the countless hours of volunteer work that these sportsmens clubs do to clean up, restore, restock and maintain many of the creeks in CNY and elsewhere in the state where "Catch and Realese only" sections are present.  Many times, it's the sportsmens clubs and the county sportsmens federations that obtain fishing rights to many miles of these creeks, streams, ponds etc !  Without their work behind the scenes, we wouldn't be able to fish those stretches of water at all so tell me what is better.  A catch a release only section where we have very lenient access or 200 posted signs and no access !   I'll take the former !
  and 60 snobish flyfishermen dictate weather i can eat my fish or not .......  ???Wrong again buddy !    Most of the guys working on getting that section of Chittenango creek turned into a C & R only fishery are fishermen/sportsmen who're concerned about keeping Chittenango creek and other heavily fish trout waters as productive and accesible as possible.
  I don't know about you but there are times when I want to walk a section of creek and not have 50 knuckleheads flinging hooks, splitshot and hunks of worm over my line and at every knook and crany on the water !  Not to mention the lack of peace and quiet caused by many of the meat fishermen who have no class, respect for others or the waters they're exploiting !     It's nice to slip into a quiet section of creek knowing that there are better and repeated opportunities to catch something better than dog food fed, cookie cutter trout, and in the process, not have to pick up peoples trash and all else that goes with public access sites where you can keep (and do whatever you want with) your fish.     Personally, I'd like to see more miles of catch and release sections throughout the state !  As fast as we're losing access on many waterways, we need every inch of these types of opportunities to preserve these great fisheries !  

Plastics are Fantastic !

esox v

huh.
Watch for this tactic on a stream near you...  Skaeneatles creek went catch and release... it has vanished off the map..... Very few people use it anymore.... Atleast I haven't heard of anyone....

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

I know I'm a little late on this Gamma... but knowing you your probably still up... QUIT DRINKING AND GO TO BED

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Watch for this tactic on a stream near you...  Skaeneatles creek went catch and release... it has vanished off the map..... Very few people use it anymore.... Atleast I haven't heard of anyone....

It is the way of the future.   The folks with money and publicity (TU) get the say. 

esox v

It is the way of the future.   The folks with money and publicity (TU) get the say.  
We get more and more like Europe everyday....but i don't think we will get there in my lifetime..

Santo180

IMO stockies are for catching not eating.

bcons

Personally I'd like more info.  I don't see a problem sharing waters with different styles of fisherman.  With some exception.  How much public access remains with reg creel limits?  Is there something special about this section, maiking it better than others? 
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
alot of the really good trout streams in the catskills have more and more sections that are posted by flyfishing clubs made up of very wealthy people from nyc. catch and release only(i throw virtually everything back anyway). but you cant even get on the streams unless you pay your 3000 dollars and have a referal from someone else in the club. so the best sections are now owned by abunch of wealthy guys who watched "a river runs through it" and probably arent all that great at it anyway. i was fishing the esopus last year . catching a few decent trout. baitfishing. a guy next to me with 1500 dollar flyrod looks at me like i shouldnt be there. He spends most of his time untangling his tippet and tripping over rocks nearly falling in. BTW I happen to do alot of fly fishing myself and im pretty good at it. I offered to take my german friend fishing. He said"you fish"? "in germany fishing is an elite sport for the wealthy". " do you have to take a course and be certified"? lol.

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
on a side note. I do see Gammas point about the good work some of these clubs do in preserving fish stocks for future generations. and keeping up stream restorations and keeping things clean. I do spend alot of my fishing time picking up others garbage. I have no problems with some catch and release sections. I just want to watch for the slippery slope into European style Regs.

Flukeman

The section of the stream they are talking about is mostly on private land that the DEC worked with the land owners on keeping open to the public. I used to fish it all the time and rarely saw anyone else meat fish it except by the bridges. I do drive by it quite often and you hardly even see fly fishermen on it anymore. Compared to it's overall length it is a very small section.

The article did not go into any detail on how they are keeping it from being posted, so I do not know how that works. But it is private land to begin with in most of the stretch. The problem with Skaneatlas Creek is the amount of private land it runs through. It was much more open until people started posting it up. And that has nothing to do with release or kill, but slobs who can't pick up after themselves or damage property. Someones land is someones land, so it would not effect us anyway. If he has figured out a way to keep some posted land open for fishing to the masses release or kill, I think it's a good thing. We have a lot of stream side here in Madison County that the DEC has worked with landowners to get us access to for fishing in general.

I agree fully we don't want another Salmon River/Barkely situation, were you have to pay to fish, but it is private property. So if someone can keep it open for us to fish in some form or manner - great. On another note there are plenty of release fishermen who's fee's are used to stock for kill sections all over the state, a small section is not going to hurt those of us who like to eat a trout once in a while. I have plenty of places to go to get a meal of trout once in a while and now I have a place to go for some quiet fishing as well.

Gamma Fish

The section of the stream they are talking about is mostly on private land that the DEC worked with the land owners on keeping open to the public. I used to fish it all the time and rarely saw anyone else meat fish it except by the bridges. I do drive by it quite often and you hardly even see fly fishermen on it anymore. Compared to it's overall length it is a very small section.

The article did not go into any detail on how they are keeping it from being posted, so I do not know how that works. But it is private land to begin with in most of the stretch. The problem with Skaneatlas Creek is the amount of private land it runs through. It was much more open until people started posting it up. And that has nothing to do with release or kill, but slobs who can't pick up after themselves or damage property. Someones land is someones land, so it would not effect us anyway. If he has figured out a way to keep some posted land open for fishing to the masses release or kill, I think it's a good thing. We have a lot of stream side here in Madison County that the DEC has worked with landowners to get us access to for fishing in general.

I agree fully we don't want another Salmon River/Barkely situation, were you have to pay to fish, but it is private property. So if someone can keep it open for us to fish in some form or manner - great. On another note there are plenty of release fishermen who's fee's are used to stock for kill sections all over the state, a small section is not going to hurt those of us who like to eat a trout once in a while. I have plenty of places to go to get a meal of trout once in a while and now I have a place to go for some quiet fishing as well.
BINGO  !
Plastics are Fantastic !

esox v

On another note there are plenty of release fishermen who's fee's are used to stock for kill sections all over the state, a small section is not going to hurt those of us who like to eat a trout once in a while. I have plenty of places to go to get a meal of trout once in a while and now I have a place to go for some quiet fishing as well.
DOUBLE BINGO !! That's a good point flukeman ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.