FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Winnipesaukee for big bluegills?  (Read 2347 times)

taxid

Lake Winnipesaukee for big bluegills?
« on: Sep 12, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Caught an In Fisherman article on line that said Lake Winnipesaukee has big bluegills. Never would have thought of Winnipesaukee as a lake with big bluegills. Keep in mind we are talking (Lepomis macrochirus) not pumpkinseeds (Lepomis gibbous) aka common sunfish.

I know the locals probably don't target them but is there any truth to this?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

AquaAssassin

Re: Lake Winnipesaukee for big bluegills?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2020, 07:09 PM »
I’ve caught accidental albeit absolute Bulls in Tuftonboro area
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Not Winni, but in one of the connected lakes my little cousin and I caught some absolute donkeys years ago with worms off a big drop. The one we kept because it was bleeding was 11”, and actually tasted pretty alright from what I can remember.

Hottuna5150

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2020, 05:19 AM »
Not Winni, but in one of the connected lakes my little cousin and I caught some absolute donkeys years ago with worms off a big drop. The one we kept because it was bleeding was 11”, and actually tasted pretty alright from what I can remember.

Bluegills are fantastic fare if you can get enough for a feed, especially through hardwater

swnoel

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:09 AM »
Caught an In Fisherman article on line that said Lake Winnipesaukee has big bluegills. Never would have thought of Winnipesaukee as a lake with big bluegills. Keep in mind we are talking (Lepomis macrochirus) not pumpkinseeds (Lepomis gibbous) aka common sunfish.

I know the locals probably don't target them but is there any truth to this?
It's true... I've caught them!

Johnnh

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Blue Gills are in multiple backwater coves on Winni.  I have even caught them on smaller pop-r's.
They do like small light blue jigs
Good meal

John

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2020, 12:18 PM »
They can be found in almost every area of the lake, not as much in the deep sections where you would target lakers, but with so many coves and bays the selection is almost endless.
During ice season I prefer to target blues and sunnies because a nice "hand-sized" fish can put a real bend in the jigging rod!

Being from MA, I've fished a number of places here and in NH, and you don't forget those 10" fish when you get one....and there are plenty of them to go around.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

deerhunter

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:15 AM »
a rock bass on every cast in winnie

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:05 PM »
Confirmed. Got some bulls through the ice along with a massive yellow perch.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Out here in the midwest they are pressured really hard to the point where the large ones can become scarce. And no limit in my state of Indiana. If you know how to prepare the fillets they are outstanding.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.