FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: things to see while out on the water...  (Read 1186 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
things to see while out on the water...
« on: Oct 05, 2020, 11:54 AM »
The past 2 times my brother took his boat out fishing we were awarded with some decent fish, but the birds were what caught our attention.
I've seen more loons than in prior years, some coming close to our boat.
Add to that the chances to see osprey diving for fish and eagles soaring overhead, and it makes a day of fishing even better!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: things to see while out on the water...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:13 PM »
May seem odd Tim, but we have several Osprey in our area that patrol the canal near my home. I frequently see them diving from way up to hit the water and fly away with a fish. It’s  a privilege for sure.

Green herons, great blue herons and mink are all residents. Not much better than observing nature while you’re fishing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2020, 04:00 PM »
I do that from the relative comfort of my kayak.
Although some wildlife you can get relatively close to, others will give you a wide berth when you cross their paths.

Here in MA, I paddle a number of rivers (Charles and Sudbury) and see/hear so much that many take for granted even when it's literally right in their backyard!
Beavers patrolling "their" section of water, muskrats checking me out, numerous turtles that will "pop up" next to me and realize they were closer than they wanted to be.
Hawks and osprey paying me no mind as they hunt, deer coming down for a drink or to feed, and (up in NH) loons following me around because they probably made a connection with me and potential meals under my kayak.

Most recently it's been looking for (locally) eagles and otters, both who are new inhabitants to my region of MA.

Oh, and although I haven't seen them, I've started hearing horned owls "hooting" in the trees around the wetlands that flank the river on both sides.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Kind of like Yogi’s quote.

“You can observe a lot by watching”

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.